News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

PD Monster Stats: Sign-Up/Organization

Started by President Television, December 01, 2014, 05:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

EDIT: Here's where everything goes when it's done.

Ok, so I'm biting the bullet and making the thread. This is sort of a casual group project thing that anyone can take part in if they want. The idea is that we're taking various monsters, deities, and assorted beasties from Discordian material and some stories posted on this very site, and we're giving them stats. In the case of deities, I don't really want to give them a stat block so much as a codified set of options for divine casters, but I figure there are plenty of those to cover. We might also write up some classes, archetypes, templates or class options, depending on how ambitious we get, but this shit is not decided yet.

This is not an attempt at prosthelytizing Discordia on the tabletop, nor is it necessarily an attempt at representing these stories with perfect accuracy(though I'd prefer not to monkey too much with the source material). This is basically just "Hey, that'd make a pretty fun enemy in a DnD game, let's give it a statblock," or "It'd be pretty cool to play a cleric of x god." If there's a specific type of plot associated with a monster(Like Spiders manipulating things from behind the scenes), give them abilities that will facilitate that plot(Like Illusion and Enchantment spell-like abilities). If you don't agree with the alignment or whatever, change it in your own game. Being able to tweak that shit on the fly is half the point of the medium anyway.

On a technical level, I'm personally most comfortable with Pathfinder, but if you want to stat something for another system, be my guest. Just clearly state which system you're giving it stats for. And for "Bob"'s sake, keep it clean and organized. Yeah, I know, muh kayoss, but if you aren't gonna use a format, you're basically just being a dick for no reason. If someone else posts a statblock in your system of choice before you do, follow their lead. If you're the first to post stats for a system and it has an SRD, use the format in the SRD. If you're doing domains and whatever for a deity, just be organized and use common sense, it's not that hard to sort out. Anyway, here's our list of creatures. If you have any stories to suggest as source material, post links and I'll see about asking the author for permission to work with it. The question shouldn't come up too often, since TGRR/Dok Howl wrote 90% or so of the source material I can think of and I think he frequents this subforum, but we don't do shit without permission and attribution. I'm just gonna assume group projects are fair game unless there's a clearly-defined ringleader, though, as long as nobody objects. Same goes for ramblings.

The lists that follow are incomplete, boyo. Suggest some things.

Deities:
Eris Kallisti Discordia(COMPLETED, Critique wanted)
J.R. "Bob" Dobbs
JHVH-1
NHGH
Greyface
The Machine
The Skinsaw Queen(Little Orange Breaks Bad)
Payne, the Messiah

Monsters:
Atlantean Yetis
Dero
Spiders(Hey Jim!)
Upside-Down People(various ramblings of TGRR)
Nessies(More Futuristic Fun Than You Really Wanted)
Giant Mutant Guinea Worms(various ramblings of TGRR)

Afflictions
The Curse of Necronomicoin(A New Currency, not yet approved)
Mutant Guinea Worms(various ramblings of TGRR)
The Spore of the Desert(TGRR and Nigel, conceptual)

Classes, etc.
Rinzai Monk(Chaotic monk archetype, mainly for Nopants, Source: Parable of the Gong)
Zenarchist Swordsman(probably some ToB-style wankery)
Battle Nun(goddamn essential)
Yeti-blooded(Subgenius sorcerer bloodline, CLAIMED, IN PROGRESS)

Confirmed Contributors:
President Television
Bearman

Potential Sources:
Principia Discordia
The Book of the Subgenius(and related materials)
The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Black Iron Prison(honestly, probably gonna source this by individual segments)
Parable of the Gong(Cramulus)
Hey, Jim!(TGRR, LMNO, group)
More Futuristic Fun Than You Really Wanted(TGRR, group)
Little Orange Breaks Bad(TGRR)
Life During Wartime(TGRR)
My Girl Friday(TGRR)
A New Currency(Paes, group)

If there are some other stories and/or sermons that you know about, please post links. I know there are a lot of things I'm forgetting about, and I just can't remember the exact titles.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

LMNO

Officially stating that I'm not forbidding the use of Spiders, for two reasons:

1.  Roger wrote the original post.

2.  For me, it became an open-ended concept, which anyone could run with.  If you want to run with it this way, that's your choice.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

After this morning's meeting, I'll add some additional links to source material.
Molon Lube

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

You're welcome to use any of my characters from those projects, which I think would mean Sams, Hayes, Palmer(?), The Hessian, J., Mike, Sid, Lara, and any of the unnamed abominations. I think you mentioned the Marrow Man in another thread, which is also good with me.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Also, Nigel should definitely count as a monster, given her odious habits and prehistoric smile.
Molon Lube

President Television

Thanks, y'all. I wasn't expecting to have this many replies when I got home from work, but I'll update the OP accordingly. This includes crediting LMNO as a co-author for Hey, Jim! I knew he was involved(and he did a pretty damn good job on the Spiders play-by-post games), but I didn't quite remember to which degree.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Doktor Howl

The "My Girl Friday" and "Life During Wartime" threads are also worth a look.  LDW isn't done yet, of course.
Molon Lube

President Television

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 08:02:52 PM
The "My Girl Friday" and "Life During Wartime" threads are also worth a look.  LDW isn't done yet, of course.

Yeah, I thought of those but I couldn't remember the titles. That, and Life During Wartime doesn't really have much in the way of non-metaphorical monsters.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: President Television on December 01, 2014, 08:12:10 PM

Yeah, I thought of those but I couldn't remember the titles. That, and Life During Wartime doesn't really have much in the way of non-metaphorical monsters.

Yep.  It only has the one, and that is taken directly from LOBB.
Molon Lube

President Television

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 08:16:06 PM
Quote from: President Television on December 01, 2014, 08:12:10 PM

Yep.  It only has the one, and that is taken directly from LOBB.

I've gotta say, though, those undead soldiers were cool as hell and we could probably throw together some equipment like power armor under the new Technological Equipment rules. It'd also tie into the Nessies' story(though the LDW version is obviously far more robust).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 01, 2014, 02:23:47 PM
Also, Nigel should definitely count as a monster, given her odious habits and prehistoric smile.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

There might be some ideas in LMNO-PI (in Literate Chaotic). Feel free.

Chelagoras The Boulder

working on the yeti bloodline just now. I'll let you guys know once i have something
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."