News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

IlluminatiGASM

Started by Rev. Mondo Anvil, December 16, 2014, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

I am always amused when people use weird kabbalistic number combinations with reference to Discordianism, because all the references from Thornley, Hill, and RAW were mocking the idea of numerology.  Numerology is the pattern-seeking primate trying to impose order where there is none (or where said order isn't what it appears to be).  It is a filter by which to NOT see the truth, and an excuse for NOT thinking.

Why do you think they invented that ridiculous fucking calendar?  To get people to stop thinking of dates as mystical. 

Damn.
Molon Lube

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 17, 2014, 09:27:01 PM
I am always amused when people use weird kabbalistic number combinations with reference to Discordianism, because all the references from Thornley, Hill, and RAW were mocking the idea of numerology.  Numerology is the pattern-seeking primate trying to impose order where there is none (or where said order isn't what it appears to be).  It is a filter by which to NOT see the truth, and an excuse for NOT thinking.

Why do you think they invented that ridiculous fucking calendar?  To get people to stop thinking of dates as mystical. 

Damn.

I am now of the opinion that at least 90% of those describing themselves as Discordian do so only as a means of seeming like a wacky version of the rugged individualist. They read over the "nonsense" and deemed it worthy to represent their supposed hidden eccentricities to those they don't know very well, and don't intend on getting to know better. Not only do they not think here could be "more" to it, they actively do not want there to be more to it.  They want the wacky, dammit.

Discordianism is the philosophical/religious version of the Che Guevara t-shirt.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on December 17, 2014, 09:35:36 PM

Damn.

I am now of the opinion that at least 90% of those describing themselves as Discordian do so only as a means of seeming like a wacky version of the rugged individualist. They read over the "nonsense" and deemed it worthy to represent their supposed hidden eccentricities to those they don't know very well, and don't intend on getting to know better. Not only do they not think here could be "more" to it, they actively do not want there to be more to it.  They want the wacky, dammit.

Discordianism is the philosophical/religious version of the Che Guevara t-shirt.

:mittens:

Spot on.
Molon Lube

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Five things:

1. Fear LMNO, he will get the most points.

2. The whole point of this is to make fun of numerologically inclined people! Of course that's why we're doing it! Like I said, do you have any better ideas?

3. Stop arguing about what Discordianism is! It's different for each person, you're the Pope.

4. I don't see what's wrong with it. It's just a joke, after all. Stop being a bunch of serious Greyfaces.

5. Fnord.
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on December 17, 2014, 09:35:36 PM

Damn.

YEP.

This seems like a good place to put the (edited for semi-brevity) conversation that I was JUST HAVING with a friend who has a small but amusing Facebook group:

Quote58 minutes ago

R: Are all discordians completely insensitive assholes?

N: About 90% of them. A ton of people think Discordianism is an excuse to behave like sociopaths or narcissists.
They basically miss the point completely.

R: Sounds about right. There was a cancer post that went awry in AC. Don't want to be a control freak but it upset an IRL friend who is currently fighting and I got a few other PMs

N: Just ban 'em. if they don't know how to behave then fuck 'em

R: <Redacted> He was shocked I knew he was both but it's not that hard to figure out. They're not as smart as they think they are.

N: I think that even the good ones get acclimated to this immature "everything goes" environment that they foster in the groups
It's incredibly adolescent

R: One more and he's out though.. it pisses me off that they make me be all power trippy.

N: If they aren't smart enough to realize they aren't an anarchist playground, I don't see the point in trying to inform them, 99% of the time. I seriously hate that whole "I SO EDGY" thing they do

R: YES! You're not as cool as you think you are.

N: I've been a Discordian for about 20 years, and it was never about this "edgy" bullshit before Myspace assholes found it.

R: Fucking MySpace.

N: It was about doing cool shit in real life, and surprising people in ways that were funny and constructive
Burning Man and the Cacophony Society

R: Wow.. it's severely left the course.

N: Yes it has.

R: Fucking interwebz.

N: They think it's about ANARCHY and NO RULEZ

R: Anonymity gives idiots power.

N: Unfortunately

R: Perceived power

N: It makes the ineffectual feel like they have power

R: This. and so they use it to bully people they perceive as having less power. When in reality they are the truly weak. Boo yow

N: Weak in many ways. It's funny, the online Discordian Society used to be (and IMO still is) this webforum that challenges each other's ideas and puts together great collaborative work. The Facebook Discordians think we're assholes... because people can't just come and be random dicks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 17, 2014, 10:24:49 PM
Five things:

1. Fear LMNO, he will get the most points.

2. The whole point of this is to make fun of numerologically inclined people! Of course that's why we're doing it! Like I said, do you have any better ideas?

3. Stop arguing about what Discordianism is! It's different for each person, you're the Pope.

4. I don't see what's wrong with it. It's just a joke, after all. Stop being a bunch of serious Greyfaces.

5. Fnord.

Not being interested in an old, stale, and boring joke = "grayfaces"? :lulz:

5 tons of flax 23 fnord lol.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I guess. You got me there.
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I'm in a GASMing mood, though, but since that idea was stoopid, I fnorded a one instead.

http://s18.postimg.org/3omlcq7p5/IMG_20141218_081803.jpg
Hail Eris!

Q. G. Pennyworth

fnording is seriously the worst secret handshake ever.

Rev. Mondo Anvil

But it's a handshake against The Machine™.
Hail Eris!

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

hooplala

I believe we have found the other poptart shoe, just waiting to drop.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman