Lovecraft for Squids: Scifi Religion Creation

Started by QueenThera, December 17, 2014, 09:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueenThera

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 18, 2014, 03:59:41 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 17, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
Squid in the wild die soon after reproduction, on purpose. When uplifted by humans, ingeniopods were made to be capable of multiple reproductive events without dying. But there's still an instinct down deep in their heritage to have sex and die. It has become a twisted impulse that mashes together a desire for murder/suicide with sex. So, I envision the dark sexuality of the creatures in Lovecraft would resonate, and they'd engage in worship and rituals involving them to hold back these instincts.

Wait a minute...

What squid species die after reproduction in a pre-planned way? Most squid have short lifespans, so they only get one or two cracks at mating seasons, but I think you've got octopuses on the brain here (specifically the giant pacific octopus).
Maybe I am thinking of octopi. I recall reading that some cephalopod can't even be forced to eat after successful mating. But eh, ingeniopods are a mix of cuttlefish, octopi, and squid all together. I just think of them as squid since their structure is based on a squid's.

And agreed, I also get bored at work. And am on my phone as well.

Okay, if you are happy with what you have and don't want feedback on it, that's fine (but I don't get why you asked for it). Otherwise, I would stop RIGHT NOW and actually do some research into Cephalopod behavior before you go any further, because you clearly have done fuckall thus far. Cephalopod behavior and sexuality is fascinating stuff, and not just from a fap material standpoint. Giant pacific octopus mothers starve themselves to death protecting their brood, warding off predators and gently stirring the water to bring in fresh oxygen for their babies even as they are dying. That's not sexy murder/suicide, that's the hardest of the hardcore mommy martyr/post-partum depression. Cuttlefish males disguise themselves as females to fuck previously claimed ladies right under the noses of the bigger males "defending" them. Giant squid shoot tentacles full of sperm at anything that looks like it might be another giant squid.
That's more than fair. A deeper look at squids would probably be very beneficial, especially since the oxygen stirring is news to me. Sorry if I sounded done: it's not really done until the metaphorical ink dries on the virtual page of the story.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Q. G. Pennyworth

LMNO

Q. G. Pennyworth

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYcAEnq0vc

corrected a few misconceptions I had (not just the giant pacific octopus that does the starve to death mommy thing) and it's got subtitles so you can watch without volume if you need to.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 17, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
Now, as for Cthulhu, Dagon, Shub-Niggurath, Azathoth, and others as their deities, I do have a justification. Squid in the wild die soon after reproduction, on purpose. When uplifted by humans, ingeniopods were made to be capable of multiple reproductive events without dying. But there's still an instinct down deep in their heritage to have sex and die. It has become a twisted impulse that mashes together a desire for murder/suicide with sex.

That sounds like it would resonate more closely with Slaanesh, the cthulhu-mythos inspired elven deity of sadomasochism from Warhammer 40,000
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Demolition Squid

I absolutely adore a lot of Lovecraft's stuff... but.

The problem with lifting familiar names wholesale is that they immediately color your work towards parody. These days, the Cthulhu Mythos has been so heavily co-opted by the geek culture that they don't inspire any of the original sense of the unknown. They can't; everyone knows what these names mean in the fantasy/sci-fi/horror space. You're basically importing a whole bunch of baggage wholesale, so either you spend an inordinate amount of time explaining how your Cthulhu is different, or you accept the preconceptions your audience will likely bring with it. Mostly, these will be comedic - which is fine if that's what you're going for, but can hurt your tone if it isn't.

I'd suggest just using different names to bypass the issue completely. Its a little ironic, but pretty much the only way to invoke Lovecraftian ideas, these days, is pretty much to ignore all the existing Mythos and craft your own.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

LMNO

This is a good point. Plus, if you create your own pantheon, you can cherry pick the parts you like (tentacle sexdeath), and leave out what you don't (alien cone time-traveling librarians of Yith; racism).

Demolition Squid

LMNO

I like cones.  Frost Heaves has a song about the Yith, called "Cones".

But cones are not squid, and so do not fit into the proposed mythos.

Demolition Squid

Ah, that's fair.

I thought you were saying the idea of time-travelling cone-aliens who joyride on alien species for the lulz was inherently ridiculous or something.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 22, 2014, 05:48:45 PM
I like cones.  Frost Heaves has a song about the Yith, called "Cones".

But cones are not squid, and so do not fit into the proposed mythos.

Patently untrue.  One of the Cthulu stories has Yuth underwater at Bimini.  The buildings are conical, and a tentacle grabs the professor and drags him to his doom.
Molon Lube

LMNO

A cone with a tentacle?  Rubbish.

Damn you for knowing more about that than I!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 22, 2014, 06:31:34 PM
A cone with a tentacle?  Rubbish.

Damn you for knowing more about that than I!

What can I say?   I am a Lovecraft freak.  Yes, his style may be busy and somewhat boring.  Yes, he tends to wimp out and call the thing at the end of the story "indescribable".  Yes, his characters are utterly unbelievable in any context.  Yes, his heroes are all gigantic wimps. But...But...FUCK YOU.  That's what.  I READ WHAT I WANT.

Molon Lube