News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

Lovecraft for Squids: Scifi Religion Creation

Started by QueenThera, December 17, 2014, 09:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Junkenstein on December 18, 2014, 02:38:40 PM
Has everyone started drinking anti-freeze?

HOW ELSE ARE WE GOING TO SURVIVE THE WINTER?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on December 18, 2014, 02:38:40 PM
Has everyone started drinking anti-freeze?

HOW ELSE ARE WE GOING TO SURVIVE THE WINTER?

"Winter"?  Tell me more of this strange menace.
Molon Lube

Demolition Squid

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 17, 2014, 07:06:29 PM
Squid in the wild die soon after reproduction, on purpose. When uplifted by humans, ingeniopods were made to be capable of multiple reproductive events without dying. But there's still an instinct down deep in their heritage to have sex and die. It has become a twisted impulse that mashes together a desire for murder/suicide with sex. So, I envision the dark sexuality of the creatures in Lovecraft would resonate, and they'd engage in worship and rituals involving them to hold back these instincts.

Wait a minute...

What squid species die after reproduction in a pre-planned way? Most squid have short lifespans, so they only get one or two cracks at mating seasons, but I think you've got octopuses on the brain here (specifically the giant pacific octopus).

Well. I did say we were prudish about such things, but very well.

Architeuthis explodius, or more commonly, the demolition squid, is known for its tendency to interweave complex displays of explosions into its behavior. Whilst this grants it an obvious advantage in hunting, and assists it in claiming territory in the London sewers where it is most commonly encountered, it does make the mating habits of the species both difficult to observe and highly dangerous for members of the species, observers, and the structural integrity of nearby buildings.

Quite why the demolition squid feels compelled to hunt out unexploded bombs and incorporate them into its mating ritual is a subject hotly contested by scholars of the species. It is believed that it may have come about during the blitz, when several of the species were caught with their pants down during a raid, and the sudden introduction of several tons of explosive force leant a certain 'kick' to proceedings. Now, it seems that mating rights are accorded only to the pair who can accumulate the most 'bang'. Thus the popular slang in artillery units throughout the world, who refer to shelling as 'stirring up the squids' or 'spreading the ink'.

The most convincing argument for the behavior, however, is that it helps to keep territorial conflicts to a minimum. Following the presentation of the largest collection of shells (or 'banging beaks' as they are known in the squid's own community), the lesser squids retreat to their lairs, and detonate their explosives alone. Without the cushioning material of a second squid (and the impact-absorbing 'fluids' excreted during the mating), this results in large sections of London being opened up for new territorial claims. As the squids can't afford the rent in high class areas, and it keeps the property developers in regular business, nobody minds too much. Well, not anyone important anyway.

AND NOW YOU KNOW.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Demolition Squid on December 18, 2014, 03:11:09 PM
Squid in the wild die soon after reproduction, on purpose. When uplifted by humans, ingeniopods were made to be capable of multiple reproductive events without dying. But there's still an instinct down deep in their heritage to have sex and die. It has become a twisted impulse that mashes together a desire for murder/suicide with sex. So, I envision the dark sexuality of the creatures in Lovecraft would resonate, and they'd engage in worship and rituals involving them to hold back these instincts.

Wait a minute...

What squid species die after reproduction in a pre-planned way? Most squid have short lifespans, so they only get one or two cracks at mating seasons, but I think you've got octopuses on the brain here (specifically the giant pacific octopus).

Architeuthis explodius, or more commonly, the demolition squid, is known for its tendency to interweave complex displays of explosions into its behavior. Whilst this grants it an obvious advantage in hunting, and assists it in claiming territory in the London sewers where it is most commonly encountered, it does make the mating habits of the species both difficult to observe and highly dangerous for members of the species, observers, and the structural integrity of nearby buildings.

Quite why the demolition squid feels compelled to hunt out unexploded bombs and incorporate them into its mating ritual is a subject hotly contested by scholars of the species. It is believed that it may have come about during the blitz, when several of the species were caught with their pants down during a raid, and the sudden introduction of several tons of explosive force leant a certain 'kick' to proceedings. Now, it seems that mating rites are allotted only to the pair who can accumulate the most 'bang'. Thus the popular slang in artillery units throughout the world, who refer to shelling as 'stirring up the squids' or 'spreading the ink'.

The most convincing argument for the behavior, however, is that it helps to keep territorial conflicts to a minimum. Following the presentation of the largest collection of shells (or 'banging beaks' as they are known in the squid's own community), the lesser squids retreat to their lairs, and detonate the explosives alone. Without the cushioning force of a second squid (and the impact absorbing 'fluids' excreted during the mating), this results in large sections of London being owned up for new territorial claims. As the squids can't afford the rent in high class areas, and it keeps the property developers in regular business, nobody minds too much. Well, not anyone important anyway.

AND NOW YOU KNOW.

:potd:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

That's it.  Shut down the thread.

DemoSquid wins today's internet.

Q. G. Pennyworth

but, but... I just wrote out a big thing about the Frost Giants :(

Demolition Squid

:thanks:

And when I'm not on my phone I'll fix all those spelling errors :oops:

LMNO

Demolition Squid

QueenThera

Wait a minute...

Maybe I am thinking of octopi. I recall reading that some cephalopod can't even be forced to eat after successful mating. But eh, ingeniopods are a mix of cuttlefish, octopi, and squid all together. I just think of them as squid since their structure is based on a squid's.

And agreed, I also get bored at work. And am on my phone as well.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: BrotherPrickle on December 18, 2014, 03:59:41 PM

Wait a minute...

Maybe I am thinking of octopi. I recall reading that some cephalopod can't even be forced to eat after successful mating. But eh, ingeniopods are a mix of cuttlefish, octopi, and squid all together. I just think of them as squid since their structure is based on a squid's.

And agreed, I also get bored at work. And am on my phone as well.

Okay, if you are happy with what you have and don't want feedback on it, that's fine (but I don't get why you asked for it). Otherwise, I would stop RIGHT NOW and actually do some research into Cephalopod behavior before you go any further, because you clearly have done fuckall thus far. Cephalopod behavior and sexuality is fascinating stuff, and not just from a fap material standpoint. Giant pacific octopus mothers starve themselves to death protecting their brood, warding off predators and gently stirring the water to bring in fresh oxygen for their babies even as they are dying. That's not sexy murder/suicide, that's the hardest of the hardcore mommy martyr/post-partum depression. Cuttlefish males disguise themselves as females to fuck previously claimed ladies right under the noses of the bigger males "defending" them. Giant squid shoot tentacles full of sperm at anything that looks like it might be another giant squid.

LMNO

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 18, 2014, 04:09:16 PM
Giant squid shoot tentacles full of sperm at anything that looks like it might be another giant squid.

This is better known as "Saturday Night".

Q. G. Pennyworth

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demolition Squid on December 18, 2014, 03:11:09 PM

Wait a minute...

Quite why the demolition squid feels compelled to hunt out unexploded bombs and incorporate them into its mating ritual is a subject hotly contested by scholars of the species. It is believed that it may have come about during the blitz, when several of the species were caught with their pants down during a raid, and the sudden introduction of several tons of explosive force leant a certain 'kick' to proceedings. Now, it seems that mating rights are accorded only to the pair who can accumulate the most 'bang'. Thus the popular slang in artillery units throughout the world, who refer to shelling as 'stirring up the squids' or 'spreading the ink'.

The most convincing argument for the behavior, however, is that it helps to keep territorial conflicts to a minimum. Following the presentation of the largest collection of shells (or 'banging beaks' as they are known in the squid's own community), the lesser squids retreat to their lairs, and detonate their explosives alone. Without the cushioning material of a second squid (and the impact-absorbing 'fluids' excreted during the mating), this results in large sections of London being opened up for new territorial claims. As the squids can't afford the rent in high class areas, and it keeps the property developers in regular business, nobody minds too much. Well, not anyone important anyway.

AND NOW YOU KNOW.

:lulz:  WOW
Molon Lube