News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

The latest from SlateStarCodex

Started by LMNO, December 18, 2014, 01:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Eater of Clowns

This was a great read. I wish any of my friends, so many of whom were or are caught up in the Ferguson flamewar (any semblance of debate vanished weeks ago), would take the time to go through it. But they won't, because facebook.

At its most basic, the fact that news stations and blogs drum up controversy for ratings is like Mass Media Awareness 101, but this served to really dissect the reason why. Meditations on Moloch was one of my favorite reads from the last few months and has been pervasive in a lot of ideas I've been playing with. I hope to similarly keep this one in mind for the next inevitable shitstorm.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 18, 2014, 03:10:32 PM
This was a great read. I wish any of my friends, so many of whom were or are caught up in the Ferguson flamewar (any semblance of debate vanished weeks ago), would take the time to go through it. But they won't, because facebook.

At its most basic, the fact that news stations and blogs drum up controversy for ratings is like Mass Media Awareness 101, but this served to really dissect the reason why. Meditations on Moloch was one of my favorite reads from the last few months and has been pervasive in a lot of ideas I've been playing with. I hope to similarly keep this one in mind for the next inevitable shitstorm.

Any semblance of "debate" died the moment the news broke.  There were three camps.

1.  The cops are out of control killers.
2.  Brown "deserved it" because <insert reason>
3.  I don't know/don't care, where is Ferguson?

Camp 1 hates camp 2.
Camp 2 hates black people.
Camp 3 hates everyone that talks about it.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Fun read!

So I've been reading these as you or Cain bring them to my attention. Who is this person? I really dig the thought process, which while not always revelatory is thorough and accessible.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

He's a Rationalist, got his start posting at LessWrong.

If you need to pass some time, read the blog from the beginning.  There's a lot of good stuff in there.  But be warned...

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on June 05, 2015, 04:07:52 PM
Very long though.

Cain

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on June 05, 2015, 04:10:28 PM
Fun read!

So I've been reading these as you or Cain bring them to my attention. Who is this person? I really dig the thought process, which while not always revelatory is thorough and accessible.

He's known as Yvain on LessWrong.

LMNO

Updating.

Interesting article about Bayes and neuroscience.  I like how he presents the findings, but still comes away with questions.  The hypothesis makes sense, but that doesn't mean it's right.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2016/09/12/its-bayes-all-the-way-up/

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on September 13, 2016, 01:33:36 PM
Updating.

Interesting article about Bayes and neuroscience.  I like how he presents the findings, but still comes away with questions.  The hypothesis makes sense, but that doesn't mean it's right.

I didn't read it all the way through, but I can tell you that neuroscience-wise this guy reads like a stoner rambling about quantum mechanics with a very shaky baseline comprehension of what that means.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh wait; I think I get it. I bet he took that Coursera class on neuroeconomics! Christ that was a shit class. Nobody should draw parallels between brain function and Bayesian economics based on that. Or anything really, ever.

Freeky

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 04:24:16 AM
Quote from: LMNO on September 13, 2016, 01:33:36 PM
Updating.

I didn't read it all the way through, but I can tell you that neuroscience-wise this guy reads like a stoner rambling about quantum mechanics with a very shaky baseline comprehension of what that means.

Thanks for this, I read it and it sounded legit because I know jack all about how brains work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Neurotransmitters are never single-purpose. That's his first mistake. You know how I am always saying that context matters? What a neurotransmitter does has less to do with the neurotransmitter than the context. What kinds of receptors are there, and what are their second messengers? What kind of cell is the receptor on? What kinds of cells does that cell communicate with? And so on.

LMNO

I'm really glad you stepped in. I can still be wooed by this kind of writing, I suppose.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on September 14, 2016, 04:49:09 AM
I'm really glad you stepped in. I can still be wooed by this kind of writing, I suppose.

This right here.