News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Conspiracy Theories

Started by Rev. Mondo Anvil, December 28, 2014, 03:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I have my own crazy idea and I want to share it with you, tell me what you think!

What if people make conspiracy theories because they're afraid of chaos?

Conspiracy buffs often say that "nothing is coincidence" and "everything has a reason behind it" or something to that end.

Maybe they just get terrified by the possibility that things happen for no reason?

If that were true, it would explain why Discordians and conspiracy theories are like bread and butter...
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Alan Moore
    The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 28, 2014, 03:22:31 PM
I have my own crazy idea and I want to share it with you, tell me what you think!

Conspiracy buffs often say that "nothing is coincidence" and "everything has a reason behind it" or something to that end.

Maybe they just get terrified by the possibility that things happen for no reason?

If that were true, it would explain why Discordians and conspiracy theories are like bread and butter...

I was having a conversation yesterday about this very thing. To quote a fellow from the thread:

QuoteWhich is more terrifying? That the world is screwed up due to short-sighted morons with unbridled greed and an apathetic population?
Or that some group is in charge and all the misery is just part of their infamous plan?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

One thing that drives me crazy are all the people who seem to have absolutely no idea how to vet their news sources, who post tabloid-Naturalnews-Food Babe bullshit while claiming that Establishment Scientists are concealing the truth and working for Big Pharma, while meanwhile scientists are busily waving their arms trying to bring attention to climate change, ocean acidification, desertification, food supply vulnerability, bias, graft, lobbying, collusion between big business and government, species extinction due to habitat encroachment, how escalating cycles of hostility worsen the terrorist problem, and a host of other actual serious problems.

But no. The problem has to be cell phones and the vaccine conspiracy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

I agree with this completely. The conspiracy theorist prefers to harbor their pet theories because it's safer to think there is a Big Bad at the wheel, rather than nobody at the wheel at all. Also, they get to feel they are "in the know" about it all, and therefor superior.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I think it's interesting we all independently came to the same idea.

Maybe it's a meme?
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

QueenThera

Yes, it's probably been a meme for a while. I've seen this discussed on Slacktivist a lot.

There is also moral superiority to be had. And it's FREE. Just assume there are a cabal of evil Satanists murdering babies and having non-consensual sex with dogs, and you're instantly one of the good guys, because you do NOT do that. And the reason you don't stop it is because they're in charge of everything! What you're doing now, bleating about bullshit? It's the only way to stop them!

Not just order, but MORAL order. If that makes sense.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, and if some evil cluster of masterminds is steering this whole thing, it means we aren't actually careening uncontrollably toward disaster that nobody has the power to avert. It means that the Chosen will survive and carry on. In some ways that's got to be very comforting.

QueenThera

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 28, 2014, 09:51:15 PM
Well, and if some evil cluster of masterminds is steering this whole thing, it means we aren't actually careening uncontrollably toward disaster that nobody has the power to avert. It means that the Chosen will survive and carry on. In some ways that's got to be very comforting.
Yeah. I have to wonder why I don't believe in a conspiracy myself. I mean, it's probably not due to me being smart.
Often incoherent. Tends to ramble on about various topics.
Hopes to get beyond that.

Formerly BrotherPrickle

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 28, 2014, 09:41:45 PM

Maybe it's a meme?

As an idea, isn't it by definition a meme?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 28, 2014, 10:01:49 PM
Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 28, 2014, 09:41:45 PM

Maybe it's a meme?

As an idea, isn't it by definition a meme?

Yes.

Rev. Mondo Anvil

New signature.

Also, aren't only infectious ideas memes? Or is that just my understanding?
Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on December 28, 2014, 10:53:53 PM
New signature.

Also, aren't only infectious ideas memes? Or is that just my understanding?

If I recall from reading Dawkins 20 years ago, it's any idea or unit of information. Whether it lives or dies depends on transmission, but the idea itself is the meme, just as a unit of biological information is a gene whether it is reproduced or not.

Doktor Howl

I had something to add to this, then I got to this last line here.

Fuck off.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on December 29, 2014, 04:45:46 AM

I had something to add to this, then I got to this last line here.

Fuck off.

I think it's more like

Quoteit would explain why random wannabe anarchists who think they are Discordians and conspiracy theories are like bread and butter...