News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Discordian Ads

Started by Rev. Mondo Anvil, January 01, 2015, 09:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It is probably also a good rule of thumb that any humor that relies on racial stereotypes is, well, racist. Whether it is racist AND bigoted depends on whether it comes from someone poking fun at themselves, or someone poking fun at someone else.

You can use sarcasm or irony to make jokes that are pointedly mocking racism and bigotry, but that is notably a difficult territory to tread.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

(See Open Bar for a recent example of how not to do it.)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 14, 2015, 10:38:58 PM
It is probably also a good rule of thumb that any humor that relies on racial stereotypes is, well, racist. Whether it is racist AND bigoted depends on whether it comes from someone poking fun at themselves, or someone poking fun at someone else.

You can use sarcasm or irony to make jokes that are pointedly mocking racism and bigotry, but that is notably a difficult territory to tread.

You know I have yet to actually address the subject of racism here. I think that I will after some time yet.
Where I was born, into what social strata, under what heritage, (Italians tend towards bigotry. <- If I understand the distinction you made then as an Italian that comment is merely racist, if quite often true, yes?) and the realities of racial violence and tension I grew up with (and I hope mostly outgrew) may be worth examination eventually.

When I'm ready I'll open a thread. Now to see this open bar thing.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

Sarah Silverman often does a good job with that type of comedy.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 16, 2015, 05:05:03 AM

She does, and Louis CK tackles it occasionally and generally manages to handle it well. But even though they're good at it, they still get people angry at them over it.

hooplala

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 16, 2015, 05:10:41 AM

She does, and Louis CK tackles it occasionally and generally manages to handle it well. But even though they're good at it, they still get people angry at them over it.

Getting angry is now the national pastime.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 16, 2015, 05:15:14 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 16, 2015, 05:10:41 AM

Getting angry is now the national pastime.

People bought into the "IF YOU AREN'T OUTRAGED, YOU AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION" bumper sticker.

Meunster

I can do animations with Blender/maya if that's any help.
Poe's law ;)

axod

Having others feel things for me is such a relief.
just this