News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Thoughts on Scientology?

Started by Rev. Mondo Anvil, January 17, 2015, 03:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev. Mondo Anvil

To be honest, I kinda admire them. Their belief system is insane and idiotic yet they are devilishly clever in their brainwashing methods. L. Ron Hubbard was definitely a genius, but not in the way they claim; anyone who can disguise hypnosis and mental programming sessions as therapy while making it a confession of secrets at the same time to blackmail ex-members with is quite intelligent.

What do you guys think?

Want to know just how insane they are? Check this out: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--TI0kmC7---/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/17mt2hwa46neepng.png

Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Seems legit. Sounds Lincoln enough." -- Adolf Hitler, 1933

"Can confirm, was there." -- Adam Weishaupt, 1791

"Lorem ipsum dolor est." -- Seneca, 33

"That's not even real Latin." -- Friedrich Nietzsche, 1880

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Eater of Clowns

I think it's deplorable to prey upon the vulnerable with false promises and pseudoscience and then bully and manipulate them into going along with the program while campaigning against actual, proven treatment methods.

But hey, admire away.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

It's like admiring a protection racket that targets the mentally ill.

Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 17, 2015, 04:22:54 PM
It's like admiring a protection racket that targets the mentally ill.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I guess if your thing is admiring schemes that prey on the vulnerable, more power to you. Have you ever heard of Bernie Madoff? You might find him really cool too.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My other question is; u trollin? Or are you just an internet noob?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

My brother's a Scientologist.  It's working for him, so I can't say it's entirely useless.

I don't have time to go through it right now, but I've posted about it before.  You might want to try to search for it.

Q. G. Pennyworth

My wedding was officiated by an ex-Scientologist who lost millions and helped found OSA (because every religion needs secret police), before getting out.

Rev. Mondo Anvil

I should clarify that I don't support what they do, but my inner evil genius thinks they did a great job.
Hail Eris!

"If Internet Exlorer can be brave enough to ask you if you want to make it your default browser, you're brave enough to ask that girl out." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

"Nietzsche? What are you doing here? You still owe me 10 bucks." -- Yahweh, 1880

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Like, I know it's a horrible scam that's ruined the lives of many people, but it's done so well I have to applaud.
Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 17, 2015, 11:26:40 PM
Like, I know it's a horrible scam that's ruined the lives of many people, but it's done so well I have to applaud.

Why this one scam in particular?

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2015, 11:36:45 PM

Asking in general, or do you want the OP's opinion?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on January 17, 2015, 11:48:40 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 17, 2015, 11:36:45 PM

Asking in general, or do you want the OP's opinion?

I was asking him, but if you want to reply with your own take on it, I'd be interested in that too.

Rev. Mondo Anvil

Because it's a cult, and I'm interested in cults.
Hail Eris!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Rev. Mondo Anvil on January 18, 2015, 02:02:41 AM
Because it's a cult, and I'm interested in cults.

Cults are interesting, for sure. I was just wondering why out of all the swindles in the world, that was the one you decided to proclaim your admiration for. It's hardly extraordinary.