News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

Possibly the stupidest argument I've ever seen

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 19, 2015, 05:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Ok. Jumped to a bit before the time and the "sea foam" one was  just described as what the Earth would look like from a bazillion miles away.... this should be good!  :lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Everything I could hope for and more!

I think the stupid is technically a form of psychic toxin reaction from how profoundly unnatural much of the human environment has become. They are not of the reasonable and horrifically pragmatic creatures of Earth, but an invasion from the planet Stupider! Here to take up space. 

It makes perfect sense! Don't those models seem a bit... plastic? Is the dialog forced because the talent truly is bored and uninteresting to each other? Could it not be because they forgot the script back on Stupider and didn't realize until they passed Andromeda, or whatever,  on the way?

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

"No, I don't like that at all, I don't even know what that means."

That sentence says everything.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Hoopla on January 20, 2015, 01:22:46 PM
"No, I don't like that at all, I don't even know what that means."

That sentence says everything.

:aaa:

It's perfect.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

While we're talking about stupid arguments...

Two Body Builders Argue About How Many Days Are In A Week.

A small sampling:

QuoteYou don't start counting on sunday, it hasn't been a day yet, you don't start counting til monday. You can't count the day that it is, did you never take basic elementrary math?

Ok I counted it on my fingers.

What do you mean you don't start counting on Sunday? IT's a fuking DAY!

It's like math, if you have 4, and you add 3, that gives you 7, not 6. If you start counting at 4, and add 3, you start counting at 5, so it would be 5,6,7, NOTTTTTT 4,5,6 by your count.

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2015, 01:38:16 PM

A small sampling:

QuoteYou don't start counting on sunday, it hasn't been a day yet, you don't start counting til monday. You can't count the day that it is, did you never take basic elementrary math?

It's like math, if you have 4, and you add 3, that gives you 7, not 6. If you start counting at 4, and add 3, you start counting at 5, so it would be 5,6,7, NOTTTTTT 4,5,6 by your count.

Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

A small sampling:

Oh yeah, that one! Is amazing. :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on January 20, 2015, 01:46:09 PM

A small sampling:

Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought.

Ya think??
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Assessment:
The woman (hereby referred to as the "QVC lady") in the video in the OP offers an argument that, while lacking truth-factor, is nonetheless a valid syllogism when interpreted charitably in it's best possible form.

All planets are on planetary maps.
No moons are on planetary maps.
Therefore, no moons are planets.

In symbols:
PaM
SeM
SeP

Mood AEE in the second figure is always a valid form. The problem, of course, is that the argument lacks soundness. Both the major and minor premise could likely turn out false, in which case, the conclusion does not follow. However, a similar argument approached inductively might fare a little better.

Further, her argument is equally successful when using a procedural sentential calculus, as opposed to the above categorical approach:

If the moon were a planet, then it would have been on the planetary maps in school.
It was not on the planetary maps at school,
Therefore, it is not the case that the moon is a planet.

Symbolically:

p > q
-q
-p

This argument would pass a truth-table test and would offer itself to a formal proof with relative ease. In this case, the argument takes the form of a modus tolens, which is always formally valid. Again, the problem merely lies in the lack of truth-factor among its premises. And again, an inductive approach might be a little more convincing for those that are a bit more empirically minded.

The gentleman in the video, well... he didn't really even try...

Verdict: QVC Lady, by TKO
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cuddlefish

And BTW: I'm not even touching that body-builder argument with anything other than a bar-stool.

Also, hi doods.

Eater of Clowns

:lulz:

This is why I love philosophy logic. Someone invented a way of saying that even when they're disgustingly wrong, they are still wrong in a smart way. It's like the ultimate self aggrandizement.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 24, 2015, 04:21:41 AM
:lulz:

This is why I love philosophy logic. Someone invented a way of saying that even when they're disgustingly wrong, they are still wrong in a smart way. It's like the ultimate self aggrandizement.

Well, there's tons of ways to be wrong, but they aren't all created equal.

Cuddlefish

It's like this: you have a base-ball player that attempts to steal home even though he's not very fast, and you have a base-ball player who hits the ball, then runs to third instead of first. They're both "wrong," but in very different ways. So it's not like either interlocutor in that argument was "right," it's just that one was less wrong. The QVC lady tried to steal home, and the designer guy, well, he just doesn't understand how the game is played...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on January 24, 2015, 03:50:37 AM
And BTW: I'm not even touching that body-builder argument with anything other than a bar-stool.

Also, hi doods.

HI DIMO!!!!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Although she lost some points with me for "I don't even know what that means, I don't like it", I confess that he lost many more for his absolute conviction.