News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Jill Bolte Taylor's stroke of insight

Started by Dildo Argentino, January 19, 2015, 09:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

The TED talk

Masochistic, I know, but I am curious to read what you people think of this talk. If it is preposterous of me to ask, just ignore or berate as seems fit. I promise I will not volunteer an opinion.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Dildo Argentino on January 19, 2015, 09:50:33 PM
The TED talk

Masochistic, I know, but I am curious to read what you people think of this talk. If it is preposterous of me to ask, just ignore or berate as seems fit. I promise I will not volunteer an opinion.

That's actually one of my favorites, just because being able to hear a firsthand account of a major stroke told by a neurobiologist is pretty awesome.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also hope that she's a member of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also have criticisms about her conclusions, but the story itself is so strong that I am reluctant to detract from it by nitpicking her conclusions.

Dildo Argentino

Isn't after a very strong story the most important point to nitpick about conclusions? My 16-year-old son (who brought it to my attention) had no qualms about nitpicking: he said she has no grounds to assume that everybody else's left-brain and right-brain personalities are all that similar to her own, and that many people's right-brain personas are probably scary as fuck.
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's a very strong eight-year-old story that has probably already been nitpicked to death.

And there is a surprisingly strong consistency in brain function trends across individuals, although there is also variation.

And you're just here to be a pedantic argumentative asshole, so I have no idea why I responded to this in the first place. It's not like you give a fuck about my analysis, despite neurobiology being my field of study. For that matter, it's not like you've offered any analysis or criticism of your own.