News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Sincerity is the new Ironic Sarcasm

Started by LMNO, January 20, 2015, 03:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

I'd like to thank PD for pointing out the hot new trend in youth culture: Being a Genuinely Nice Person.

I played a show on Saturday, and it was pretty great.  Everyone was being really cool to each other.  Instead of the historic Boston dance, the "Stand In The Back With Arms Crossed, Judging", people were having a good time, applauding, dancing, and helping each other out.  It came through in the bands, too.  There was one band from NY called "Common Folk", and it was two guys who looked like ratty gutter punks, playing acoustic guitars and belting out songs without a mic or amplification, sounding like a cross between a punk anthem and a sea shanty, singing about how people should be nicer to each other.  The night ended with the closing band inviting all their friends on stage to sing along, and everyone was simply enjoying themselves.

Coming from an earlier era of ironic detachment, where taking an interest in something was considered uncool, this is a welcome breath of fresh air.  Out of self defense, I've built up a cynical shell of dismissive condescension over the years, but I've always felt like simply being a nice guy who engages with the world to be so much more FUN.  Hopefully, the kids will let an old fart have a go at this.

Eater of Clowns

I've been seeing this slowly emerging. I think my age group grew up in such a cynical time and a lot of people are getting to the point where it's tiresome to keep up that front any longer. For my part, I've been trying to be more genuine with my actions (not necessarily succeeding).

That sounds like a great show. I really have to come see you play sometime. Especially since your next show is going to get out in time for lunch.  :wink:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2015, 03:45:22 PM
I'd like to thank PD for pointing out the hot new trend in youth culture: Being a Genuinely Nice Person.

I played a show on Saturday, and it was pretty great.  Everyone was being really cool to each other.  Instead of the historic Boston dance, the "Stand In The Back With Arms Crossed, Judging", people were having a good time, applauding, dancing, and helping each other out.  It came through in the bands, too.  There was one band from NY called "Common Folk", and it was two guys who looked like ratty gutter punks, playing acoustic guitars and belting out songs without a mic or amplification, sounding like a cross between a punk anthem and a sea shanty, singing about how people should be nicer to each other.  The night ended with the closing band inviting all their friends on stage to sing along, and everyone was simply enjoying themselves.

Coming from an earlier era of ironic detachment, where taking an interest in something was considered uncool, this is a welcome breath of fresh air.  Out of self defense, I've built up a cynical shell of dismissive condescension over the years, but I've always felt like simply being a nice guy who engages with the world to be so much more FUN.  Hopefully, the kids will let an old fart have a go at this.

I know! Kids these days! I love them!!!

Except for the Tumblr crowd, them I'm less fond of.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Well, at least they all sort of pool together, like that garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean Salizore.

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2015, 03:45:22 PM

Exactly, although its changing again, I called it in 2013 http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=32728.msg1315231#msg1315231
Genuine worthless and pretentious Faust Irony Prediction for 2015 - Irony is going to move into scary new places this year, not negativity but in the post tumblr, post gamergate, mra, selfy world the new Irony is ditsy and cute and self assured.

To plagiarise elsewhere 2015 is the year of Blond.

Edit: although it occurs to me  that you might be saying the irony generation are gone, comedy has merely mutated again.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 20, 2015, 05:15:48 PM
Well, at least they all sort of pool together, like that garbage island in the middle of the Pacific ocean Salizore.

Also not unlike Salizore, nobody wants anything to do with them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."