PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 08, 2015, 02:30:28 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2015, 10:53:00 PM
I also have tentative support for my security contractor gig (whereupon I will assess security, and get paid for it, and tell them it sucks, and recommend the position of Security Director, which I will be the most qualified for, and thus will be appointed to).

I mean, it's early days yet.  But it could happen.

It sounds like it went far better than I would have guessed. Maybe their heads aren't THAT far up their asses, after all.

No, they still are.

My boss just realises that I can increase his budget here and help show up his boss in the process.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2015, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 08, 2015, 04:39:48 PM
I dropped Cell Bio lab.

I was just taking too many damn credits, and I can take Cell Bio lab any term but summer... Microbial Metagenomics is a one-shot class. I feel so relieved.

It's kind of too bad I've already spent six hours on the homework for lab, but hey, at least I'll be REALLY prepared when I take it.

Sounds like a wise decision.

I'll probably have to write a letter explaining it. Oh well.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Might as well be proactive and email someone about it now.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 08, 2015, 12:12:50 PM
I also have tentative support for my security contractor gig (whereupon I will assess security, and get paid for it, and tell them it sucks, and recommend the position of Security Director, which I will be the most qualified for, and thus will be appointed to).

I like the sound of that plan.

My boss immediately saw the advantages of being able to sell the appearance of serious security to parents, I will give him that.

Also, with the recent kerfuffle in schools over the government's "Prevent" counterterrorism strategy (teachers must report "extremist" pupils), I may be able to play my credentials up in regard to that.  Although that may be pushing it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on April 08, 2015, 05:36:49 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 08, 2015, 12:12:50 PM

I like the sound of that plan.

My boss immediately saw the advantages of being able to sell the appearance of serious security to parents, I will give him that.

Also, with the recent kerfuffle in schools over the government's "Prevent" counterterrorism strategy (teachers must report "extremist" pupils), I may be able to play my credentials up in regard to that.  Although that may be pushing it.

They may be petty, but they aren't completely stupid.

Just stupid enough that you can leverage their pettiness for profit. That's good.

Doktor Howl

Also, with the recent kerfuffle in schools over the government's "Prevent" counterterrorism strategy (teachers must report "extremist" pupils),

Wait.  What?
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2015, 07:22:42 PM

Also, with the recent kerfuffle in schools over the government's "Prevent" counterterrorism strategy (teachers must report "extremist" pupils),

Wait.  What?

http://www.preventforschools.org/?category_id=40 and http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/are-we-failing-to-prevent-extremism-amongst-british-young-people/

Basically, it's a somewhat half-decent idea that has been implemented in a pretty racist and discriminatory way that has now gone completely out of control.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Portland's city slogan is "The City That Works".

Yesterday, it took my bus 40 minutes to go 10 blocks because nobody is sure why.

But that was OK, because when I finally got downtown the streetcar wasn't running because the power was out at the south waterfront research center where my class is held.

Because of an unnamed "incident"

which turned out to be a construction crane falling over.

Portland: The City That Works!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Apparently this is not in the news because no reason really just forget all about it shhhhh.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 08, 2015, 08:02:49 PM

Yesterday, it took my bus 40 minutes to go 10 blocks because nobody is sure why.

But that was OK, because when I finally got downtown the streetcar wasn't running because the power was out at the south waterfront research center where my class is held.

It wouldn't have fallen over if no-one had been working at the construction site in the first place. 

Traffic jams are obviously a sign of a healthy economy /econpopsciencewriter

Doktor Howl

I believe I have commented on this.  Portland amazes me, in that any of you have survived.
Molon Lube

axod

So frustrated here.  I want to be a good friend to someone that has a tendency to become somewhat theatrical when emotionally stressed.  This is then expressed by insults leveled against me, though technically unrelated to the initial cause of discomfort.  I somehow come to represent everything that is wrong with the world.  Overtime, the effect of this is compounded and I eventually snap.  This makes me feel terrible.

Sometimes, I can avoid the reversal/displacement of blame onto me.  The problem is when those insults become entirely preposterous and hypocritical:  grafted from a life other than my own.  It's not just the disparity of the comparison, but how one would intentionally go out of their way to disparage me so egregiously, that hurts.  It then occurs to me that perhaps there is also a shadow at play.  If it is the incongruent nature of the comparison that is insulting, is there then also a small contact point of similarity upon which the distinction rests?

Could my being upset at the inappropriate points of comaprison belie an aknnowledment that there may be other ways, that I am not consciously recognizing, in which the insults hold true?  Put another way, is it possible to take an insult personally when it clearly has nothing to do with you?  Or, does reacting to an insult provide it validation?

I tentatively answer no.  It is not nescesarilly true.  Maybe the upset is caused by recognizing how to even entertain the possibility, I partially betrayed the sovereignty of "myself".  The reversal is then not that the comparison is true, rather, it's that I insulted myself in the first place by processing the comparison; only to expunge it again. :lulz:
just this

Reginald Ret

Quote from: axod on April 08, 2015, 08:52:26 PM
So frustrated here.  I want to be a good friend to someone that has a tendency to become somewhat theatrical when emotionally stressed.  This is then expressed by insults leveled against me, though technically unrelated to the initial cause of discomfort.  I somehow come to represent everything that is wrong with the world.  Overtime, the effect of this is compounded and I eventually snap.  This makes me feel terrible.

Sometimes, I can avoid the reversal/displacement of blame onto me.  The problem is when those insults become entirely preposterous and hypocritical:  grafted from a life other than my own.  It's not just the disparity of the comparison, but how one would intentionally go out of their way to disparage me so egregiously, that hurts.  It then occurs to me that perhaps there is also a shadow at play.  If it is the incongruent nature of the comparison that is insulting, is there then also a small contact point of similarity upon which the distinction rests?

Could my being upset at the inappropriate points of comaprison belie an aknnowledment that there may be other ways, that I am not consciously recognizing, in which the insults hold true?  Put another way, is it possible to take an insult personally when it clearly has nothing to do with you?  Or, does reacting to an insult provide it validation?

I tentatively answer no.  It is not nescesarilly true.  Maybe the upset is caused by recognizing how to even entertain the possibility, I partially betrayed the sovereignty of "myself".  The reversal is then not that the comparison is true, rather, it's that I insulted myself in the first place by processing the comparison; only to expunge it again. :lulz:
I always just think the insult comes not from the insult, but from the fact that the insulter wants to insult me.
Of course, this is only insulting when I care about the insulter.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

axod

Quote from: Reginald Ret on April 08, 2015, 09:01:02 PM
Quote from: axod on April 08, 2015, 08:52:26 PM

I always just think the insult comes not from the insult, but from the fact that the insulter wants to insult me.
Of course, this is only insulting when I care about the insulter.
Yes, please forgive the ommision of my regard for the insulter.  That's when it's problematic, when the relationship is presumed to be true, it's harder to not give credence to them.  And, it instantistes a whole series of exceptions to the furthermore presumed unity of truth.  Not that my love is'nt big enough to tolerate distinctions, but it can confuse the credence I then also give to more positive representations.  I'm afraid that the structural erosion does not aways result in a stronger bond, such as by the effect of cognitive dissonance or other retroactive inforcements.

In this case, however, just reprocessing the added weight of care, obtained a positive purchase on the experience.  Namaste for pulling that shadow through too.
just this

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2015, 08:39:31 PM

I believe I have commented on this.  Portland amazes me, in that any of you have survived.

I used to take it for granted. But I've been to several other places now, and I am starting to suspect that it isn't quite normal.