OPEN BAR: NO CISNORMATIVE ELVEN PATRIARCHS ALLOWED

Started by Cain, January 22, 2015, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Metal Bear on April 10, 2015, 05:27:23 AM

I don't think suicide is a sign of a happy person, regardless of privilege.
It is more a sign of mental illness.

Man, I kinda wish being white and rich made it impossible to be mentally ill.
I would feel a lot better about most politicians.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

axod

"Just developed some pictures - need to make a book - kind of like Mappelthorpe, only more personal" :lulz:
just this

LMNO

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: axod on April 10, 2015, 06:48:39 AM
"Just developed some pictures - need to make a book - kind of like Mappelthorpe, only more personal" :lulz:

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Quote from: Reginald Ret on April 10, 2015, 06:11:43 AM

Ever since Cain pointed this out, I see it everywhere: there's a key distinction between doing fucked up shit to society at large and actually suffering from a mental illness.

I get that people want to rationalize depravity as some variation on "just a poor, diseased human mind gone haywire—if we could just lovingly nurse their brains back to health, they would be good, upstanding citizens and rainbows would burst forth from everyone's ass". But that's an obfuscating fairy tale that doesn't deal with the actual problem of people with normal brains that choose to do predatory, exploitative shit with full cognizance of how their choices will affect other people. It also furthers an inaccurate stereotype about people with mental illness as malicious. They are no more or less likely to be malicious assholes than the general population.

:crankey:

Chelagoras The Boulder

yea, the scary bit is that people can justify that type of shit using just your average standard out of the box human brain. A CEO that exploits child labor to make obscene profits probably isnt a sociopath, at least as it applies to people he actually knows. He probably has plenty of empathy for people he knows and works with and considers part of his "tribe". the problem is that your average human brain can only fit about 200 or so people in this tribe mentality and everyone else doesnt really seem like a person as far as our moral decision making goes. outside of our own little monkeysphere, people seem less like people and more like an idea of people, which is a lot easier to throw under the bus for profit when compared to your buddy Steve.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

jonb

Have you seen sane people on the underground? Look at how they control those interactions. Do they want to see each other?

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 10, 2015, 11:45:17 PM
yea, the scary bit is that people can justify that type of shit using just your average standard out of the box human brain. A CEO that exploits child labor to make obscene profits probably isnt a sociopath, at least as it applies to people he actually knows. He probably has plenty of empathy for people he knows and works with and considers part of his "tribe". the problem is that your average human brain can only fit about 200 or so people in this tribe mentality and everyone else doesnt really seem like a person as far as our moral decision making goes. outside of our own little monkeysphere, people seem less like people and more like an idea of people, which is a lot easier to throw under the bus for profit when compared to your buddy Steve.

Yeah, the more removed people are from our immediate experience the easier it is to rationalize, ignore, or even blame the victims of horrible suffering—people don't need some pathological condition to be cruel, selfish pieces of shit.

Though it seems that the more we become aware of these shitty, unconscious predispositions, the more we generally do to counteract them. So at least there's that.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: N E T on April 10, 2015, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: Reginald Ret on April 10, 2015, 06:11:43 AM

Ever since Cain pointed this out, I see it everywhere: there's a key distinction between doing fucked up shit to society at large and actually suffering from a mental illness.

I get that people want to rationalize depravity as some variation on "just a poor, diseased human mind gone haywire—if we could just lovingly nurse their brains back to health, they would be good, upstanding citizens and rainbows would burst forth from everyone's ass". But that's an obfuscating fairy tale that doesn't deal with the actual problem of people with normal brains that choose to do predatory, exploitative shit with full cognizance of how their choices will affect other people. It also furthers an inaccurate stereotype about people with mental illness as malicious. They are no more or less likely to be malicious assholes than the general population.

:crankey:
Dammit.

good point.

I would still feel better if the master race was actually superior.
... Wait, that sounds terribly terribly wrong, let me retrace my logic so I can rephrase that.
Ah, I found the logic error: I removed a double negative that was there for a reason.
What I mean: I don't want a leader that is not better than me.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"