21C Man, part 8: How is this so very difficult?

Started by Doktor Howl, February 05, 2015, 01:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Meet the code monkeys.  There are three of them.  Anna, a very pretty young lady who was tragically born with no social filters; Michael, who advertizes his last meal on his shirt and in his beard; and Doug, who is one of those guys who makes tech look sexy.  In fact, he would probably make sewer work look sexy, or at least mildly attractive.  Everyone hates Doug.  I know I do.

The code monkeys are unsure about how to deal with us.  Anna thinks we are corporate killers, and has asked Al twice to please not let Felipe and I kill her, because she has not yet been to Europe.  Doug has this paralyzing suspicion that work is approaching.  Micheal seems to be in some kind of religious state because he hopes work is coming and he thinks we're it.

"So," I say after an hour of reading through their project files, "You haven't even labeled the processors yet."

"The boss wouldn't let us.  He never lets us,"  Anna said, "He gets to name all the processors."

"What?  Is that some kind of weird status thing?"

"Yep", Michael burped around the straw of a Slurpee, "He names them all after himself in one way or another."

"Well, that's fucking special."

Anna sorted laughter.  Micheal said, "He's a special kinda guy."

"I also note that there is only one processor.  This job should need a minimum of two, probably four."

"Boss said it cost too much."

"Your boss is a piece of shit.  Get me two more processors.  Logix, too.  Not of that compact stuff.  And I shall name them, and your boss may curse me for however long the greasy swine can hold a grudge."

Processors were obtained, and thrown on the chassis.

"They shall be named 'Larry, Curly, and Moe'," I announced.  "Moe is in charge, Larry does all the work, and Curly will tell us the results.  Officially, they will be 1786.Moe.cntr, etc, but you know what I mean."

Everyone stared at me.  Then Michael said, "I think I want to have your babies."

Things went well for several hours.  Until 11:30 PM, as a matter of fact.  We were the only 6 people in the building, hell, in the entire industrial park.  Many dead pizzas lay around.  A lot of code got written.  Anna seemed a trifle disappointed that we weren't there to kill everyone, But she got over it.

Things were in fact looking very promising.  But that was last night.

This morning was another story entirely.  A tale of shame and failure and The Ego That Ate Success.

To be continued

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 06:55:27 AM
Awww, I kinda like the code monkeys!

Not as much as you're gonna, when this is done.

Except Doug.  We HATE Doug.

Dok,
Transparently jealous.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

By the way, we are currently pulling another all-nighter to recover what we already did.

I am unhappy about this.  Something must be done.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 05, 2015, 07:28:59 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 05, 2015, 06:55:27 AM
Awww, I kinda like the code monkeys!

Not as much as you're gonna, when this is done.

Except Doug.  We HATE Doug.

Dok,
Transparently jealous.

:lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Aucoq

I'm loving this 21C Man series, Dok.  I can't wait to see what happens next.  :)
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.