News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Jezebel magazine and Mean-Girl Feminism

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, February 08, 2015, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2015, 06:36:42 PM
From 2007-10 it was run by Anna Holmes, who actually had some journalistic credentials (degree in journalism, staff writer for a magazine).

Interestingly, most of the stupid things it has done have been post 2010.

Okay.  Now I don't feel quite as dense.   :lol:
Molon Lube

Cain

Yeah, I didn't read it so much back then either, but I don't remember it being as venomous or stupid as it is now.

Which seems to be something of a trend for Gawker media.  Only Wonkette seems to have escaped this fate, mostly by becoming its own media entity outright (though it's still nowhere near as awesome as it was when Ana Marie Cox was editor).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 29, 2015, 06:25:59 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 29, 2015, 03:23:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2015, 07:11:28 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 29, 2015, 01:33:06 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 27, 2015, 05:48:32 PM
Via Cracked I came across this little gem regarding a Jezebel writer and tattoos: https://www.inkedmag.com/cant-get-fucking-neck-tattoo-jane-marie/

tl:dr Jezebel writer wants neck tattoo, artist refuses (as they often do to people who aren't already covered in tats and want a face/neck tattoo), Jezebel writer decides to whip up the internet mob in revenge and mock other people who got tattoos from the artist in question, tattoo artist responds above.
Gotta love people who think they have the right to be OUTRAGED because an artist won't do what they want. ART FOR ME, ART MONKEY! ART NOW!

For a feminist publication, and all the feminist criticisms of capitalism and how it turns women into commodities, some writers at Jezebel are sure happy to do the same to others.

Jezebel is a horrible, horrible magazine. It's like Cosmopolitan interbred with Huffpo and Tumblr.

Was it always like this?  I remember being impressed early on, but I may just have been stupid.

It was definitely all right early on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on July 29, 2015, 06:36:42 PM
From 2007-10 it was run by Anna Holmes, who actually had some journalistic credentials (degree in journalism, staff writer for a magazine).

Interestingly, most of the stupid things it has done have been post 2010.

Ah, that makes sense. I remember liking it, and then all of a sudden being horrified that I'd ever liked it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

So....speaking of stupid things Jezebel did 2010, I came across this today:

http://www.lamag.com/longform/the-hugo-problem/

QuoteSoon after becoming a regular Jezebel contributor, Schwyzer started writing for The Good Men Project, a popular online magazine featuring positive stories about men.

You'll see why that's a problem upon reading the article.  Not least because:

QuoteHe was L.A.'s most prominent male feminist, a professor of gender studies who used his online presence to burnish his reputation. Then Hugo Schwyzer's bad behavior—sex with students, substance abuse, and a chilling act of violence—came to light, and Twitter users around the world took him down

Also not a real gender studies professor.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Fuck and i actually like The Good Men Project
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."