News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

Future Historians

Started by Demolition Squid, February 13, 2015, 02:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

So this story is pretty interesting.

Basically the vice president of google has said that, as programs to read files become obsolete, future historians will no longer be able to access documents we are storing electronically.

I lived with a historian at university and this seems fantastically naive to me. If the records still exist digitally somewhere, I imagine that future historians would learn to code new programs to access the old information rather than just let it sit there. People have rediscovered dead languages to interpret old records and such, so why wouldn't they go to similar lengths to access this information?

Especially since people are already thinking about this, I'm not sure the concern is worthwhile... but it is funny to think that in two or three hundred year's time we could have absolutely no idea how we got to where we are because the world seems to go 'stone tablets > paper records > ??? ??? ??? > Apple iBrain'.  :lulz:
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Cain

Ha!  Yeah.  Historians are all like "what's microfilm" and "this album is stored on a grammophone record, damn, that's just too bad" right now, so just imagine what will happen when they're confronted with a .doc document..

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unless there is a fantastical upheaval resulting in a loss of electronic technology (not impossible), it's a fairly good bet that what will happen as time goes on will be exactly what happens now; legions of graduate students will transfer the archives to a newer format, and contained within the archives will be examples of the old technology.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

This seems very odd to me, do they mean they wont be able to interface with older hardware, or that we wont understand file formats in the distant future.

The latter is ludicrous, as long as someone somewhere has kept a copy of the ascii table, all text docs would be simple to figure out. The only format I can see being a problem is video because I have video formats from within the time I started college that no longer have support in players I have.

If the former, then he is being very optimistic on the lifespan of magnetic disk platters, and flash memory, I intend to outlive 90% of the worlds hard drives and most of the flash memory. Let alone centuries down the line.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I heard that flash memory could last a really long time
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago