News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

21C Man, part 10: This Is How We Manage Things

Started by Doktor Howl, February 16, 2015, 02:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

At some point, AL and Felipe went out to get food.  The code monkeys were working like maniacs, and there wasn't much for me to do.  I closed my eyes to sleep...Which hardly ever works.  Unless I lay perfectly still with my eyes shut, breathing slowly, and even then I'm lucky to catch a half hour.

I must have LOOKED asleep, though, as the code monkeys started talking out of school, in hushed voices.

"Do you think they're gonna kill us?" Anne asked, "They always kill people in the movies, even if there's no reason to do so."

"Naw," Michael said, "That's the CIA.  These guys will just try to use us in an experiment, and then they'll get eaten by alien critters."

"Or shot by James Bond," Doug added.

"Well, he's nicer than I expected a hit man to be," Anne said, bless her paranoid little heart.

"He's actually kind of a dick," Doug said, "He made Abigail cry."

"That wasn't his fault," Michael responded, "He did what he had to do.  Personally, I think he's a nutcase.  He doesn't seem to give a crap about anything but the job, and he seems to even be doing that grudgingly."

I opened one eye.  "The world of multinational industry is mysterious and terrifying, and not for the likes of you and I to ponder."

"Um."  This was Doug and Anne.

"You heard all that?" Micheal asked.

"I hear everything.  I see everything.  It is entirely possible that you are right and that I am nuts.  But not according to the textbook.  I suffer no misery from it and I get the job done.  Therefore, I am 'eccentric', and thus to be tolerated by yourselves as an uncle.  The sort of uncle that bites people at parties.  You know the one."

They just stared at me.

"Maybe I can explain this another way, but it's gonna cost Doug a cappacino."

More staring.  I got up and plugged my phone into Michael's sound system and punched up Hair by Lady Gaga.  Then I began to dance.  Badly.  It was the sort of thing you'd expect Irish people to do when they gather around the bonfire after power-tooling the neighbors.  Sort of a stomp, really.

Micheal and Anna looked like their eyes were gonna come out of their head.  Doug grinned, and started dancing.  Well.  Very well.  So well, I hate him more.  I have mentioned that we all hate him, yes?  Micheal and Anna shrugged and joined in, about as badly as me. 

As the song wound down, there was a noise at the lab door...There stood Abigail, who wanted to take our lunch order, and was staring at us like we'd lost our minds.  I didn't expect her to understand, not really.  Abigail is one of those people who will never lose her shit, no matter how badly she needs to.  She is the type to always give a fuck, because that's what she's been taught is important.

But we know better.  We know about The Futureā„¢, and what it takes to get there.  It takes skill and it takes luck and it takes hard work.  And if definitely requires losing your shit and dancing like nobody's watching, while all the normal people scramble for the other side of the bus.

To be continued.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That got a good solid chuckle out of me, which is an auspicious start to the day.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 16, 2015, 03:02:44 PM
That got a good solid chuckle out of me, which is an auspicious start to the day.  :lol:

I didn't know how to state my case.  So I committed dancecrime.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2015, 03:00:25 PM
Last chapter in about 45 minutes.

I'm gonna have to try to get hold of a computer on campus this afternoon so I can read it, I need to know what happens!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 16, 2015, 03:03:29 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2015, 03:00:25 PM
Last chapter in about 45 minutes.

I'm gonna have to try to get hold of a computer on campus this afternoon so I can read it, I need to know what happens!

Might be sooner, but no promises.  I'm in the middle of writing it, but everyone needs their hands held today.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I feel bad for the code monkeys. They seem okay and they'll still have that shit boss when it all blows over.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on February 16, 2015, 03:43:23 PM
I feel bad for the code monkeys. They seem okay and they'll still have that shit boss when it all blows over.

I don't know about that.  See part 11.  I think there might be a little more adventurism in their future.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I bet  they won't stick around for long even if he doesn't go out of business, now that they get that they don't have to.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 16, 2015, 11:31:04 PM
Yeah, I bet  they won't stick around for long even if he doesn't go out of business, now that they get that they don't have to.

I've already heard rumblings.

To the tune of "who in Tucson does industrial controls?"  I don't think Doug is expressing loyalty to his boss's sales numbers.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 17, 2015, 12:07:55 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 16, 2015, 11:31:04 PM

I've already heard rumblings.

To the tune of "who in Tucson does industrial controls?"  I don't think Doug is expressing loyalty to his boss's sales numbers.

:lulz:

The Wizard Joseph

This is my favorite so far. The owner getting his own shit sandwich back was good, but showing the geeks that a contract enforcer can get down for the fuck of it is priceless!

WOOT!  :lulz:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 19, 2015, 09:44:09 PM
This is my favorite so far. The owner getting his own shit sandwich back was good, but showing the geeks that a contract enforcer can get down for the fuck of it is priceless!

It wasn't for the fuck of it.  It was necessary.  These are industrial maintenance rituals.  Do not question them.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 19, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

It wasn't for the fuck of it.  It was necessary.  These are industrial maintenance rituals.  Do not question them.

I do not. Not if you sir see the problem and solutions. I suspect that you're much better at it than I am. Not blowing smoke here.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on February 20, 2015, 01:20:32 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 19, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

I do not. Not if you sir see the problem and solutions. I suspect that you're much better at it than I am. Not blowing smoke here.

If you don't keep the Machine God happy, nothing gets fixed.
Molon Lube