News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

The Emperor's blockparty RPG ghetto style

Started by The Wizard Joseph, February 20, 2015, 03:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Yeah, a lot of kids and teens play Warhammer, so Games Workshop is probably careful about going in for that kind of stuff too much.  Dark Elves/Eldar and Slaanesh aside, of course.  Hell, I must've been introduced to Warhammer Fantasy when I was around 13 or so.

Freeky

Speaking of Fantasy, anyone here still play, and tried Age of Sigmar yet?

Cain

I haven't played since 7th edition was first out  :lol:

Never even heard of Age of Sigmar up until now.

The Wizard Joseph

Warhammer of whatever sort seems particular able to fascinate and of my friends that actually play.. they are REALLY into it, 40k mostly. Although much less familiar with the fantasy side and it's story, I like the models better. I think this just reflects a taste for fantasy over scifi generally, but even the 40k material is full of mystical things. This I think I like best, the blending of elements of both. Also kind of a freak for Shadowrun for this reason.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2015, 03:09:57 AM

Age of Sigmar just came out, they don't even have all the base rules yet.  Didn't stop them from selling a starter box, but whatever.

It's a completely different game, enough that the Fantasy crowd here had a major hissy fit, talked shit about Games Workshop, and have since stopped playing completely.  My friend, who owns the game store I frequent, has never seen anything like this from the GW community, he says.

I tried it, and it was fun.  Not balanced by any means, but still pretty fun.  Best part is, the rules are free for now and forever, and it doesn't care what your models are as long as have something appropriately sized.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on July 18, 2015, 12:01:19 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 12, 2015, 03:09:57 AM

Age of Sigmar just came out, they don't even have all the base rules yet.  Didn't stop them from selling a starter box, but whatever.

It's a completely different game, enough that the Fantasy crowd here had a major hissy fit, talked shit about Games Workshop, and have since stopped playing completely.  My friend, who owns the game store I frequent, has never seen anything like this from the GW community, he says.

I tried it, and it was fun.  Not balanced by any means, but still pretty fun.  Best part is, the rules are free for now and forever, and it doesn't care what your models are as long as have something appropriately sized.

See I like the idea of playing under alternative rules with a bunch of old boardgame pieces and toy trucks or something. It could be a great way to build up the player base over time and get folks into the more formal games. I certainly don't play in part because I have no taste for model hobbies and won't pay vast sums for an army worth playing. Having read the books and with a fair grasp of the rules I've been offered "spare armies" at reasonable prices and know exactly how that would go. I pay money so they can get a new Dreadnought model, then they get to spank the army sold with it.

Nothing worse than a shady Warhammer dealer.
I'll have to ask around about this Age of Sigmar thing and see what reactions I get.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

So I found myself watching a documentary on The Emperor and the history of the 40K setting. I have only gotten half way through the first video, but it's amazing, dark, and beautiful art abounds. I was reminded of this thread and want to post the links here.

The Emperor of Man
Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPjE1Sn-Ts&t=1284s

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F3y2bJzDJQ

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riyVcdAOOC4

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Dok Howl told me about this shit and once I cracked into it I almost died of heresy. BEST satire on 40K ever hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmiWoT3mqQMLFP9Hg420dsg

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl