News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Nigel's Borneo Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, March 09, 2015, 01:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm starting this thread for a couple of reasons. One is, I would love to have a repository for my ramblings about preparation. Another, because I will be mostly off the grid for a couple of weeks, but I might be able to get online here and there and it would be cool to have a place to check in with you terrible people. Lastly, if I don't make a hole to put it in there is a possibility that I will get random ramblings all over the place, and nobody wants that.

Today I finished my travel shopping, which meant a ton of hand sanitizer, baby wipes, and Pepto Bismol. I could tell the checkout guy was a little uncomfortable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I'm liking this thread already.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yo dawgs. I don't really have Internet access here, it turns out. The food is terrible. Send help.

I spent four days deep in the jungle with a Dusun village of former headhunters, helping to build a tiny hydropower generator. It's the dry season, so mostly what we had to eat was rice and whatever the hunters managed to kill, which varied from delicious (a wild boar) to horrifying (I won't tell you what it was, just trust me, I was horrified. And I'll eat anything).

The insect life is spectacular. I'll post pics. We toured a genetic lab that sequences zoonotic viruses, which was awesome. We've spent a lot of time on a bus of questionable mechanical integrity, driving around the countryside visiting schools, villages, and wildlife sanctuaries. The poverty, waste, and corruption are highly visible.

I'm so so sick of noodles and rice.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

HI NIGEL

So that genetics lab sounds really hi tech compared with everything else. Supervillain lair?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm in the dining room of the Marina Court Apartments, eating a dismaying breakfast and waiting for the bus to take us to the dock to go to the island where I guess we're spending our last day.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 27, 2015, 11:33:57 PM
HI NIGEL

So that genetics lab sounds really hi tech compared with everything else. Supervillain lair?

It was surprisingly high tech, and had backup generators in case of power outage (which happened twice while we were there). I was invited to come back and work there after I graduate.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 27, 2015, 11:38:45 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on March 27, 2015, 11:33:57 PM
HI NIGEL

It was surprisingly high tech, and had backup generators in case of power outage (which happened twice while we were there). I was invited to come back and work there after I graduate.

It sounds like you should for the food alone!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 27, 2015, 11:31:09 PM
Yo dawgs. I don't really have Internet access here, it turns out. The food is terrible. Send help.

I spent four days deep in the jungle with a Dusun village of former headhunters, helping to build a tiny hydropower generator. It's the dry season, so mostly what we had to eat was rice and whatever the hunters managed to kill, which varied from delicious (a wild boar) to horrifying (I won't tell you what it was, just trust me, I was horrified. And I'll eat anything).

The insect life is spectacular. I'll post pics. We toured a genetic lab that sequences zoonotic viruses, which was awesome. We've spent a lot of time on a bus of questionable mechanical integrity, driving around the countryside visiting schools, villages, and wildlife sanctuaries. The poverty, waste, and corruption are highly visible.

I'm so so sick of noodles and rice.

YOU'RE ALIVE!  :banana:
Molon Lube

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Now I'm on a tiny island surrounded by coral reef. I just got done snorkeling, where I was bitten by a clownfish.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 28, 2015, 02:25:08 AM
Now I'm on a tiny island surrounded by coral reef. I just got done snorkeling, where I was bitten by a clownfish.

That poor fish.

(seriously, you okay?)
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It was a vicious savaging by the aquatic brute. Also it was adorable.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 28, 2015, 02:33:45 AM

Nigel in the ocean, petting hammerhead sharks.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 28, 2015, 02:46:33 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 28, 2015, 02:33:45 AM

Nigel in the ocean, petting hammerhead sharks.

They're just misunderstood, really.

Cain

Clownfish are terrible.  Finding Nemo was just pure propaganda.