News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

The Weird West, or A Tale of Morality in an Immoral World

Started by Doktor Howl, March 17, 2015, 04:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Wow....

I need to read this over from the beginning.

Eater of Clowns

Hm.

No good men or bad, just circumstances and the changing of them.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 08, 2015, 05:58:12 PM
Whoa.

It's a never-ending cycle, isn't it?

Well, sure.  As I said, it's a morality tale.  It's America.  You can even label the characters according to American tropes.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

The Preacher is the reformer.
The Undertaker is the corporate prison system, banks, etc.
The pastor is the megachurch minister in his finery.
The first bartender is the yahoo hooting over CNN war footage.
The second bartender is the man in the street.
The 4 horsemen are the various agencies that police us (which is which should be obvious).
And so on.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Bravo! I had no idea when I'd see the end of this when I found myself distracted from this place. There isn't one.
Hell is death, after death, after death with no real change.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 11, 2015, 06:23:03 AM
Bravo! I had no idea when I'd see the end of this when I found myself distracted from this place. There isn't one.

More like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 11, 2015, 06:35:17 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 11, 2015, 06:23:03 AM

More like "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
Right. One of the themes about "heaven & hell" as concepts that fascinates me is that they both are about who's your boss, and how your boss supposedly do. In this particular tale it seems to me you have a man struggling to effectively take over "hell" and getting what he worked for. From the impression left on me from before I ditched for a while this was the saddest outcome I'd considered. Not all good, and too few realistic, morality stories are happy ones.

Gonna work on some of my personal story and dump some few other things I've been working on  later.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

ReverendJesus

Dude, this is composed of win and awesomesauce. Well done.
~Rev. Jesus "H" Christ

HMGMA #D-1-10535-13
Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal [FSoFCabal.com]
Ordained Minister, Church of the Latter-Day Dude
Minister, Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Reverend, United Church of Bacon
Minister, Universal Life Church
Clergy, Spiritual Humanist Church
Reverend, Open Ministry
Legionnaire, SORPOEE
Legionnaire, Cabal of Cabbage(tm)
Member, Satanic Temple
Member, Secular Student Alliance
Citizen, Aerican Empire

Answer our survey for a chance* to win one free miracle of your choice!

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Gonna put this in smashwords for something to do during the plague.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Gonna reread! My memory for specifics is shit long term, but I remember absolutely loving this and now I effectively get to read it again from scratch!

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl