News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

A game for kids

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, April 01, 2015, 06:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

I am running a tabletop game for my daughter, three of her friends, and my son. The setting is from the Magic 2.0 series of books, where all of reality is just a computer simulation and the code that runs it occasionally "leaks" into the simulation itself, where it can be edited by people.

Four ten year old girls and a seven year old boy hacking reality. What could possibly go wrong?

First session we started with explanations of what a roleplaying game is and why we have conflict resolution systems and did character gen. Right now I'm running with three attributes and they started at six skills. The attributes are Creativity, Tenacity, and Charisma, and the skills are whatever they wanted (with some input on useful choices). They roll a d6 pool of the skill plus attribute and look for matches like the Mistborn mechanics.

So, friend number one immediately changed little brother's weight to 3000 lbs, causing him to fall through the floor and break his butt. There was significant back and forth until friend number two banned friend number one's IP from the server the file is stored on. They went to school the next day and were pretty much immediately taken to the office, where the FBI wanted to talk to them. There were two mooks, and one female agent. Who looks an awful lot like friend number three might when she's an adult. And is totally her from the future.

Reginald Ret

That sounds fun!

Lucky kids :)
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well now. You're starting to describe my childhood, except replace FBI with NSA.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, I guess I forgot to update this thread ever. In the end, it turned out that one of the players (we'll call her "Jane") had an older version of herself running around messing with the timeline to make sure that young!Jane got magic powers earlier than old!Jane did, and the resulting paradox was crashing the server.

The new game is D&D 3rd ed, because I am an old person and fuck you. The party last session aided the group of necromancers responsible for the destruction of their home town with a bank robbery to secure funds for a warehouse for ????. When one of the moms showed up and asked how things went I told her "It was great! She almost got arrested but then kicked a guy in the face!"

I am the worst at filtering.

Don Coyote

That sounds pretty dope. And 3e is an ok ruleset. The only things I would personally change, if I were to run 3e, are stealing the way skill ranks are handled and combat maneuvers from Pathfinder.

Freeky

Is the only difference between 3rd and 3.5 the supplements of 3.5?  I never really was clear on that point.

Don Coyote

Some of the classes, spells, and feats were changed between 3 and 3.5. There was also a shift towards a heavier reliance on the grid. I bet there is at least one comparison between the two online.

Q. G. Pennyworth

significant tweaks were made to several classes for game balance purposes. I think druids and rangers were the most affected, but it's been a while since I actually read through any of the comparisons.

Freeky

Ah, thanks.  I will stop interrupting you thread now. 

This is cool, by the way.