News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Blood under Red Light

Started by hooplala, April 14, 2015, 04:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Asking this in Lit because its for a work of fiction, and also seems too random and stupid even for Apple Talk.

Anyone know what blood would look like under red light light?  I tried googling, but it doesn't seem to be something lots of people are dying to know.  I could find out in... other ways... but this seems most legal.

Anyone already know?  I won't ask how you know, if you don't want me to.

I suspect it would look black, or possibly just sort of blend in, but knowing for certain would help me a lot.  Thanks folks.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

what background is it against? I imagine that would make a difference.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

Stage blood apparently looks like chocolate sauce under a red light, so black might not be far off, especially if its venous blood.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on April 14, 2015, 04:40:03 AM
...especially if its venous blood.

Unless this is occurring in space (or possibly in Detroit) the blood will take on oxygen and take on the red of arterial blood immediately upon being spilled

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Cain

:roll:

Even "de-oxygenated" venous blood still has a good 75% oxygen saturation, and while initial blood contact with the air can almost reach the high saturation that arterial blood has (roughly 99%) this quickly diminishes due to red blood cells dying.  Therefore, after any prolonged exposure to to the air, blood will take on a darker colour, and this process is quicker with venous blood due to the lower overall saturation level.

If you're going to be a pendant, at least be meticulous about it.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on April 14, 2015, 05:05:45 AM

Even "de-oxygenated" venous blood still has a good 75% oxygen saturation, and while initial blood contact with the air can almost reach the high saturation that arterial blood has (roughly 99%) this quickly diminishes due to red blood cells dying.  Therefore, after any prolonged exposure to to the air, blood will take on a darker colour, and this process is quicker with venous blood due to the lower overall saturation level.

Well at least I did point out that it wouldn't happen in space or places with no oxygen in the air

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 14, 2015, 05:25:25 AM

Well at least ActuallyI did point out that it wouldn't happen in space or places with no oxygen in the air
Is more pedantish like this.

RE: OP, I have no experience with that, but I would assume black or dark brown.
Some factors that come into play here (some already mentioned):
How fresh is it?
Is it anemic?
Is it human?
Generally speaking though stuff of colour X under colour X light loses that colour.
Slightly more technical: The closer the wavelength spectrum of the lamp to the wavelength-absorption spectrum of blood, the more black it will be.
Slightly more practical: It is your story so just make the lamp exactly the right colour to make blood completely black.
Though I'm not sure if lamps like that can actually be made.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

Wow, I knew all those years of being a wayward youth would pay off!

Under a red light, a pool of blood is black.  If you smear it, it's a dark rusty brown. 

LMNO
-I wanna take you to the goth club, goth club, goth club

hooplala

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you all. Black it is!

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

This is gold. I love you Cain.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You guys remember that stupid dress? Blue and black, or white and gold?

This question is like that. On a purely physical level, blood under red light reflects red light, just as it reflects red light under full-spectrum conditions. On a subjective experience level, you may experience that as a completely holy fuck that is red red level, or you may experience that on an everything is reflecting red and this is a shiny black that is reflecting red level.

Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything I tested this out just now in my basement. Definitely red, but could easily be perceived as black depending on your top-down processes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Blood under UV light, on the other hand, looks black black black to the human eye. So club environments could make a huge difference to the visual experience even if there was also long-wave light present.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on April 15, 2015, 06:29:13 AM
Blood under UV light, on the other hand, looks black black black to the human eye. So club environments could make a huge difference to the visual experience even if there was also long-wave light present.

I had forgotten to account for black lights.  Good call, thanks!

hooplala

Well, sounds like I don't have any other option than to spill a good amount of blood under red light.

Right?

Right?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO