News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

The Deluge

Started by Zenpatista, May 05, 2015, 05:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zenpatista

It started with a brisk wind on an otherwise unseasonably cool day.

It was normally hot by May and the locals thought the change in weather a welcome delay to the frequently forbidding spring and summer's heat and dryness. So, it was thoroughly delightful when the rains started. First it was a sprinkle and then a steadily increasing downpour.

It didn't last the biblical 40 days and nights, much to the chagrin of some folks in the religious extreme. However, it was long enough to make a few of the timid-type of atheists get nervous.

The flooding washed through the housing developments and demolished satellite cities. Downtown became a concrete reef of overpasses and on-ramps. Bookstores and coffee shops and walmarts and record shops and fast food places and libraries and churches and golf courses - all under water. There was some violence when the highways jammed as people realized the truth and tried to leave in a rush. There was some looting once most of the authorities left. But the waters took the lion's share of the goods. The legislature had tried to deny it. They even took time to pen a quick bill that described the sudden change in the weather as a federal emergency yes, but certainly not due to global climate change. There was even a subclause explaining that it was somehow Obama's fault.

The reservations became expensive water-front property and the richest of the refugees couldn't buy their way in. The Native Americans in the First People's Council had a set of standards to accept refugees that the well-to-do couldn't figure out. Many folks fled to the North or the South. Favelas were set up around neighboring towns. The newcomers were welcomed in but warily at first. Many tried to stay in the ramshackle housing but the desire for their former lives forced them to acclimate to their Northern or Southern neighbor's ways. Tattoo and piercing parlors made 200% increase in profits as the new folks tried to fit in. There was a little head cracking in order to get the refugees to lose some of their holier-than-thou ways, and of course there were many who couldn't ever bring themselves to talk and interact with those they considered beneath them. They were the first to feed the roving coyote packs.

The Great Arizona Lake took 23 days to fill with water. There are still bodies and golf carts and debris at the bottom. But nature is filling in the gaps. There are fast growing reeds at the water's edge. The whole area is home to growing flocks of birds and butterflies. Fishermen have been seen plying the waters. There's even talk of a resurgence in the state's budget due to another natural wonder. But Phoenix was never to rise again.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Oh dear. You don't want to water Tuscon....

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

But the idea of Phoenix underwater is too delightful to deny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Zenpatista

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 05, 2015, 02:24:58 PM

I don't mind watering the Tucsonans. I do mind those damn trees ravaging my sinuses with their pollen. I am worried that that rain gets me another week of flowering palo verde.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 03:39:59 PM
But the idea of Phoenix underwater is too delightful to deny.

The rain motivated me. Phoenix had to go.

Zenpatista

Also, not sure where to put that OP. Not really any rant so it doesn't seem like it belongs here, but I couldn't figure out where else.

Most of my writing is science stuff for work. Feel free to post or pm any feedback. I'm still a novice at this.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Zenpatista on May 07, 2015, 06:04:37 AM
Also, not sure where to put that OP. Not really any rant so it doesn't seem like it belongs here, but I couldn't figure out where else.

Most of my writing is science stuff for work. Feel free to post or pm any feedback. I'm still a novice at this.

Ranting is an acquired skill.  Feedback is useful, but mostly you just gotta spew it.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 05, 2015, 02:24:58 PM

It's been pissing on us for 3 fucking days now.
Molon Lube