OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was just thinking to myself "I'm so tired". At 9:30 on a Wednesday morning after a full night of sleep. Then I realized that I'm not tired, I'm just mentally fatigued. I'm fatigued by always juggling a dozen deadlines, always having past-due bills, always having a full list of things that need to be taken care of when I have the time and money, and fatigued by having to look at and think about other students who can't seem to get it together enough to just read the fucking directions.

I'm fatigued by having a treadmilling to-do list; tick one thing off the top, add another to the bottom. Write this, read that, enter these grades, make a Powerpoint, do the dishes.

I'm not sure if this is transient stress from a shitty term or whether I'm just burnt out on being a student. I browed the want ads for molecular biologists today, and am appalled at how many biotech companies are hiring molecular biologists... in sales.

:horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 27, 2015, 03:49:28 PM
On another note, my dog died. I have a QA up at OHSU and a class and then I will bury him. EFO is coming home for the burial.

Condolences.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 27, 2015, 05:43:04 PM
I was just thinking to myself "I'm so tired". At 9:30 on a Wednesday morning after a full night of sleep. Then I realized that I'm not tired, I'm just mentally fatigued. I'm fatigued by always juggling a dozen deadlines, always having past-due bills, always having a full list of things that need to be taken care of when I have the time and money, and fatigued by having to look at and think about other students who can't seem to get it together enough to just read the fucking directions.

I'm fatigued by having a treadmilling to-do list; tick one thing off the top, add another to the bottom. Write this, read that, enter these grades, make a Powerpoint, do the dishes.

I'm not sure if this is transient stress from a shitty term or whether I'm just burnt out on being a student. I browed the want ads for molecular biologists today, and am appalled at how many biotech companies are hiring molecular biologists... in sales.

:horrormirth:

That's how I felt and it was the worst in my last quarter.

Cain

I'm sorry to hear about your cat's penis dog's untimely demise.

Well, I got my ghetto air con rigged up, and I have Carribbean beer in the fridge.  I'm not sure if I should bother to do anything else today.

Doktor Howl

On another note, my dog died. I have a QA up at OHSU and a class and then I will bury him. EFO is coming home for the burial.

I am sorry about the dog, and I am sorry that EFO stayed away this long.
Molon Lube

POFP

Quote from: Cain on May 27, 2015, 04:15:10 PM
I've actually never been to a Waffle House.  I don't think they have them in the UK.

Oh wait, there was one, but it's closed for forever.   Probably because most people think of this when waffles are mentioned:

Those look way nicer than the ones at Waffle House. See, Waffle House is one of those places where the food resembles the customers that eat there: Sloppy, greasy, and incomplete in some way.

Waffle House is the basic response to intoxication in the Central United States. So, if you're ever in this shit-hole and in need of a sobering, greasy, dough patty covered in syrup, you know where to go. Look for the plain, yellow sign with plain, square, black letters.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Sorry to hear about your dog, Nigel. I hope things ease up for you in the future
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks, guys.

The end of the term, and the academic year, is nigh.

I talked to the folks on the hill today. Apparently for their program, I don't need the GRE, only the MCAT. They accept five students a year.

Last year, they had about 180 applicants. They interviewed 50, and offered to 18. So, while those odds may sound low, it's really about 1/10 offer rate for applicants and 1/3 offer rate for interviewees, which is not at all bad.

Of course, if I want to apply to any other programs for backup, I will need to also take the GRE.

It's an 8-year program, for most of which I will be doing clinical work and research, meaning that I should probably look at it as more of an 8-year job with no raises until the very end. Then I apply for residency, and then I apply for a fellowship, and then in 16 years theoretically I will be an assistant professor.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Sorry to hear about the dog, Nigel, and I hope the Magical Time and Money Fairy visits you soon and you can sleep for 14 hours without it causing problems.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, a graduate stipend is SOME money...  :lol:

At least this summer I should have a fair amount of free time, or at least, if not free per se, unpressured time.

POFP

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 28, 2015, 02:37:19 AM

At least this summer I should have a fair amount of free time, or at least, if not free per se, unpressured time.

I like that distinction. I hate both free time and busy time equally. Unpressured time is where it's at.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PlightOfFernandoPoo on May 28, 2015, 02:39:22 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 28, 2015, 02:37:19 AM

I like that distinction. I hate both free time and busy time equally. Unpressured time is where it's at.

We could probably all use a little more unpressured time in our lives.

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Blind Dog? That's a bummer. He was a good dude.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Cain

Not looking forward to the next three nights.  Friday-Saturday-Sunday is always bad, but:

- It's nearly the end of exam season
- The exeat system still isn't working properly
- I haven't been in for 9 nights and I very much doubt everything (or indeed anything) from that time period which is relevant will be passed on
- I'm the senior shift manager
- My "co-worker" is not a House Parent, and will only be working half the shift.

So in short I'll have no breaks, no real help and it'll be on the worst nights for dealing with drunks, students throwing tantrums and general bullshit.

On the plus side, once this is done with, I have 15 nights of no work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on May 28, 2015, 06:53:27 PM

Blind Dog? That's a bummer. He was a good dude.

Yeah, he went downhill really fast and it was really clear when he got to the end that he wasn't going to make it more than a few more days. My guess is congestive heart failure.

I'm glad he reached that point in the spring, when he could basically just lie down, sleep a lot, and fade out in pleasant weather.