News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

21C Man, part 18: THIS is what happens when you FUCK WITH US.

Started by Doktor Howl, May 04, 2015, 06:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

We all stood in the client's parlor.  Yes, the bastard was so loaded, he had a full-out mansion, with a parlor off the foyer for meeting with the help.  I was only shocked that we weren't expected to go around to the servant's entrance.  As we told him what had occurred, he seemed fairly subdued for someone who almost had his only son become a glory hole attendant.  I know I'd have been happier if it was my son coming home after something like that, with only a bad scare to his name.  But, hey, apparently number one son was not number one priority.

Mark flopped on the couch, which sagged under his weight.  He leaned back.  "Say, this is a really nice couch."

The client gave a snort of annoyance, and turned back to me.  "So, our business is concluded?"

"Not quite, sir.  There are elements that need to learn a lesson.  You don't need to see that happen, of course, but happen it will."

"Man, this is a REALLY nice couch."  Mark, again.

"Yes, yes, you...gentlemen are professionals.  I am sure you know what to do."

"Do you mind if we borrow your son for this?  Shannon can stay here, we need your son to point someone out for us.  He'll stay in the car.  We'll be less than an hour."

A look went across the client's face.  "If you must."  Sharp man.  He didn't turn all solicitous when he was obviously getting precisely what he'd like.  He must be a hell of a negotiator in regular business.

Of course, what we had in mind wasn't regular business.  This is what people like the client forget...Since they are the best in their own particular arena, they forget that other arenas even exist, let alone that different skill sets would be required in said arenas.  Learning costs you, in one way or another, whether or not you actually absorb the lesson.  I had a feeling the client would, but I don't think he'd really get it.  He would add one more arena to the list of one in his head, and disregard the rest.  He is by no means stupid, just rigid in his thinking.

We gathered up the kid, and went out to the car.   We pulled out, and drove a half-block away, and let Tim out.  He walked back toward the house.  We drove around the block, stopping just around the corner from the house, in the opposite direction from which we started.  We waited, listening to the tablet, which was monitoring the smartphone Mark had left between the cushions of the couch, as the smartphone recorded to cloud memory.  Tim, meanwhile, was working on the back door of the house.  Tim isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he really doesn't have to be.  He is the heaviest anvil instead, and some days you need an anvil more than you need a knife.  Specifically, an anvil who can bypass locks and security systems.

The client was talking to Shannon.  It started off "friendly" enough, but when she remained silent, it got pretty ugly, pretty fast.

The client began explaining the new world order to her.  She would be available to him, or many bad things would happen.  Her parents would have trouble at work.  Her friends would learn things about her, things so awful that they'd never even consider that they were fabricated.  Witness the goons he has working for him, this very minute.

I credit Shannon for sobbing instead of laughing.  She in fact asked him what he meant by "available".  Client went on to explain various sexual adventures they would have.

"That's what we needed," I said, "Go get him, Tim."

We counted to ten, then pulled around and into the driveway.  We all piled out, and went to the front door, which was open.  Tim works fast.

Tim works very fast.  The client was down in a heap, curled up around his gut.  I looked at the client, and looked at Tim.

"When I entered the room, he was moving to grab Shannon.  I punched him in the gut to get his attention.  Then I opened the front door."

I nodded.  "Good work."

I turned to the man on the floor, as I sat down on the couch.  Reaching behind the lace coverslip, I pulled out the smartphone.

"Feeling better, sir?"

He glared at me, wheezing.

"You're about to feel worse."

Glare.

"We have completed the contract as required of us.  Your son has been returned home.  In addition, however, we have done three other things.  The first is that we have recorded your disgusting behavior toward Shannon, and even have a mostly legible video signal.  The second thing we have done is stored that signal in cloud.  Our company G&S negotiators will have that recording when contract renewal time comes around.  It's a rough old world, and it's even rougher on perverts.  The third thing we have done is give Shannon a number to call.  She will call once a month, and give a sequential password.  Should that call not land in Tim's email, the recording will not only go to your bosses, as they will if you don't keep our buyers happy, but it will in fact also go to the police."

He wheezed something.

"Shut up.  Should you make any form of improper advance on Shannon, the information will be released.  Should Shannon's family and friends suffer reversals, it will be released.  I am a superstitious man, and if ANYTHING ill shall befall your son, his girlfriend, or any people surrounding them, I shall assume it was your animosity that led to the misfortune."

I am not above ripping off The Godfather.

He seemed to be able to breathe at this point, so I asked "Are we clear?"

"Yes."  By the tone of his voice, we were.  As I said, the client is not a stupid man, in most respects.  I had a feeling, though, that he'd be a whole lot dumber around the conference room table, come contract renewal time.  Nothing like killing two disgusting pervert birds with one stone.

We got in the car, and drove back to Tucson for a little celebration.  Booze would be involved.  Drugs, too, since I no longer care about piss tests.  My replacement has been found, Mark will do nicely.

So I can walk out the door, knowing that the Science Gestapo (Tucson branch) is in good hands.  Which is really all I wanted out of this trip.

End
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WOOOT!

That was a hell of a wrap-up to a hell of an adventure. End of an era, beginning of a new one.

I am sad, though, that this probably means your job won't be sending you to Portland periodically anymore.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 04, 2015, 06:33:30 PM
WOOOT!

That was a hell of a wrap-up to a hell of an adventure. End of an era, beginning of a new one.

I am sad, though, that this probably means your job won't be sending you to Portland periodically anymore.

You might be surprised.  The new job is strictly Arizona, but we do have to go to trade shows and training.
Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

I'll miss this series. They always had such happy endings, for dealing with as horrible topics as they do.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 04, 2015, 06:42:34 PM
I'll miss this series. They always had such happy endings, for dealing with as horrible topics as they do.

Any damn fool can just do the job.  I needed to see that Mark could do it right.

Loose ends tied up, bad things happen to bad people, operatives have a good time. 

Molon Lube

Aucoq

Yeah, this is definitely bittersweet. I loved the ride (and what an ending!), and I'm sad to see it end. Great work, Dok. You sir can write a fantastic story.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

LMNO

Fantastic series, dok.

My only worry is that with a guy like that, it doesn't stop with Shannon. I see visits to obscure Eastern European nations in his future.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Aucoq on May 04, 2015, 06:54:48 PM
Yeah, this is definitely bittersweet. I loved the ride (and what an ending!), and I'm sad to see it end. Great work, Dok. You sir can write a fantastic story.

Thanks.  I think I'm ready to go back to my regular tale-telling.  I have two unfinished stories (LDW and The Pit), and some new ideas.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on May 04, 2015, 06:56:49 PM
Fantastic series, dok.

My only worry is that with a guy like that, it doesn't stop with Shannon. I see visits to obscure Eastern European nations in his future.

Not sure what I could have done about that.  Not to sound callous, but Shannon was real to me.  She was right there.
Molon Lube

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 04, 2015, 06:47:23 PM

Any damn fool can just do the job.  I needed to see that Mark could do it right.

Loose ends tied up, bad things happen to bad people, operatives have a good time.

I liked his tactic of making himself discreet by obnoxiously drawing attention to himself. Everything about it says "He's trying to distract me, don't look at him" while meanwhile he's counting on that exact effect. Beautiful.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 01:20:50 AM

I liked his tactic of making himself discreet by obnoxiously drawing attention to himself. Everything about it says "He's trying to distract me, don't look at him" while meanwhile he's counting on that exact effect. Beautiful.

He's a natural, really.  He even LOOKS obnoxious.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on May 05, 2015, 03:27:18 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on May 05, 2015, 01:20:50 AM

He's a natural, really.  He even LOOKS obnoxious.

You have chosen a suitable successor.

minuspace