News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

UK general election 2015

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, May 06, 2015, 02:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demolition Squid

They don't have enough votes to form a good opposition. They're about as good as they can possibly get, but all it is likely to achieve in the long run is the Union breaking up faster.

If I had any faith that Labour would take the result to mean they actually need to take an anti-austerity stance, I'd be more hopeful, but everyone is painting it as a backlash against the independence referendum rather than looking at what the SNP said they were actually standing for.

I'm betting Milliband and Clegg will be out. No idea who will replace them, but in both cases they're going to shift further towards the right in a misguided belief that this will win them back votes next time, because that seems to be what we get these days. Both will shriek about how dangerous and destabilizing the SNP are, since that narrative captured the public imagination and is probably a key factor in the Conservative's success. No party can embrace the SNP without being rendered unelectable in England - which is where they need to win next time - so the SNP will largely be alienated and ignored, leading to further (deserved) resentment north of the border.
Vast and Roaring Nipplebeast from the Dawn of Soho

Junkenstein

Well there's one thing that we learned that was worthwhile:

We now have UKIP moaning about how unfair first past the post is.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Demolition Squid

I'm honestly surprised at how disappointed I am.

My local MP, who I hate, almost tripled her majority for a start.  :argh!:

And it isn't like Milliband would have been much better, but the Tories are going to be so fucking insufferably smug about their not-quite-a-majority.

Junkenstein

I'd take that a step further and say that Milliband would implement almost identical policies to those that are coming.

In terms of actual political opinions, most MP's are forced to be square in the centre to secure the votes needed under FPTP. The result is what we've had for decades, interchangeable grey faces shoving neo-con policies with various levels of polish and spin.

At this stage, UK politics is really little more than voting for your favourite colour.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Demolition Squid

Genuinely, I'm not sure I believe that.

The spending plans of the two main parties had the biggest gap they've had since world war 2. Labour just capitulated to the rhetoric of austerity, when they should have been talking about an end to austerity and a measured recovery. Sure, they'd institute some cuts too - but they were looking at reversing the NHS change (which, having had first hand experience of it, I can guarantee was implemented purely to cause the NHS to fail and open the door for private investment), and they wouldn't carry on with Iain Duncan Smith's benefits changes which have already been killing people.

Would it have been a country that looks vastly different? Dunno. There's a lot of areas where they are very similar. But I think those two policy areas would have changed for the better.

Junkenstein

I've not got the numbers to hand, but I would assume that more than a few Labour MP's have an interest in medical/pharmaceutical fields and stand to benefit considerably as a result of being able to shove their private interests in there. It's just a different set of mates and companies that happen to start picking up the contracts. In the meantime, the long standing agreements with shitshows such as G4S, Crapita, etc. etc. etc. will continue for no real logical reason beyond the fact that there must be some set of civil servants somewhere being nicely taken care of.

Edit for emphasis. For reference see previous posts relating to UK being corrupt as fuck.

Demolition Squid

Yeah, no, I know they do - but they'd specifically promised to get rid of the current framework which is fucking everything up. That's the full extent of my expectation, really.

That would have been nice. Instead we will carry on doing the same thing but harder for sure - because that's what we've collectively asked for.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Junkenstein on May 06, 2015, 07:28:41 PM
I shall be spoiling my ballot as usual in the most obscene way possible.

For those interested, this was achieved through the following method:

1- On paper, all boxes filled with "Fuck no!"

2- Back of paper - "This system is fundamentally flawed and it's a fucking joke to call it democracy when it is designed to alienate the views of the majority of the electorate by default. This is beyond all reason to use a system of the past when you live in the fucking future. The system is designed to create short-sighted poor decisions by transient interests alleged to represent a community as a whole. The system is not your friend. It is not anyone's friend. And it is clearly very fucking broken"

3 - Paper shoved into back of pants.

4 - Quick dance, This time I went for the classic "Hustle".

5- Paper out of pants and into voting box.

I'm sure as hell not going to take politics in this country seriously. It's been a joke for years.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 08, 2015, 09:25:53 AM
Yeah, no, I know they do - but they'd specifically promised to get rid of the current framework which is fucking everything up. That's the full extent of my expectation, really.

That would have been nice. Instead we will carry on doing the same thing but harder for sure - because that's what we've collectively asked for.

Well, that's it spelled out clear as crystal. "We'll get rid of this shit thing (their mates) and use NEW thing (Our mates)". Seems like enough money made it's way around the existing set of friends.

It's comical, really. All parties talk about how important the NHS is, yet not one will actually take steps to remove the ability of parliament to meddle in/with it.

Demolition Squid

Farage lost, and seems to have confirmed he really will resign!

Pity Al Murray didn't win, but you can't have everything.

MMIX

Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 08, 2015, 11:14:15 AM

Nah, I reckon he had his fingers crossed behind his back. He has stood down so he can have his summer hols and then he is going to decide whether to stand for the leadership again in the autumn. Sneaky fucker.   Probably the only admirable thing about Farage, his supreme sneakiness.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Demolition Squid

Welp, I was wrong.

They're going to be insufferable about their marginal majority.  :horrormirth:

Cain

Quote from: MMIX on May 08, 2015, 12:58:13 PM
Quote from: Demolition Squid on May 08, 2015, 11:14:15 AM

Nah, I reckon he had his fingers crossed behind his back. He has stood down so he can have his summer hols and then he is going to decide whether to stand for the leadership again in the autumn. Sneaky fucker.   Probably the only admirable thing about Farage, his supreme sneakiness.

That and the last time he quit Lord Pearson led UKIP into some really fucked up Neo-Nazish territory.

I don't like Farage, but I would say he is mostly a blowhard, not an actual Nazi.  Lord Pearson, on the other hand, was going full hog on the Eurabia and creeping sharia nonsense, among other things.

Cain

Clegg, Miliband and Farage all stepped down.

Damn, it's truly a slaughterhouse now.

Looking at the data, both the Tories and Labour actually increased the share of the vote very slightly, but the Tories were better at taking advantage of the Lib Dem collapse.

MMIX

I'm just loving that the nation felt this unstoppable compulsion to punish Clegg for letting the Tories in last time by annihilating the Lib Dems who have restrained the Evil Tories for the last 5 years and . . .

handing that twat Cameron his very own parliamentary Majority. I mean you couldn't make it up, nobody would believe it. Much like the exit polls, really.

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber