News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

BITCOIN MUGGING

Started by Pæs, June 06, 2015, 12:42:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/05/bitcoin_theft/?mt=1433547708657

QuoteA New York man was robbed at gunpoint of $1,110 worth of Bitcoin.

According to CNBC, on the morning of May 27, the 28 year-old man was lured into a car in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn to sell Bitcoin to a buyer he met on Craigslist.

Once inside the car with the two robbers, the man was reportedly forced at gunpoint to transfer $1,100 in Bitcoin (around 4.9 Bitcoins, based on current prices) from his account to another account controlled by the robbers.

The man, who was not named, then had his phone stolen and was told to exit the car before the two robbers drove away.

This is not the first Bitcoin robbery to be reported in New York. In February, a New York City man reportedly was robbed at gunpoint after meeting up with a buyer for his Bitcoin, and there's no telling however many other cases might have gone unreported.

It goes without saying that you should always be wary when making arrangements online to buy or sell goods, and getting into a stranger's car is never a good idea. Police in some cities have offered to let people carry out their Craigslist deals outside of police stations to help discourage robberies.

This latest crime, meanwhile, is only the latest in Bitcoin's long, shadowy history. Criminals have demanded to be paid in the digital currency in ransomware attacks, for example. And convicted Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht amassed a small fortune in Bitcoin from his online drug sales operation and had an estimated $33.6m worth of the digital currency confiscated by police at the time of his arrest.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

They said you wouldn't download a car.  But I did.  They said you couldn't fly dildos on helicoptors into a lecture.  But I did.  And they said you couldn't rob bitcoins.  And I did.