News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

How Do You Know...

Started by hooplala, June 08, 2015, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

How do you know if you're clinically depressed, or its just that your life is a shitty shambles, and you have every reason to be depressed?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Hoopla on June 08, 2015, 05:37:50 PM
How do you know if you're clinically depressed, or its just that your life is a shitty shambles, and you have every reason to be depressed?

http://www.robot-hugs.com/surprise/

Q. G. Pennyworth

Seriously though, it doesn't matter if you're depressed/stressed because of an internal thing or an external one, you gotta take care of yourself. Are you in a position where you can get counseling or something?

hooplala

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 08, 2015, 05:44:59 PM
Seriously though, it doesn't matter if you're depressed/stressed because of an internal thing or an external one, you gotta take care of yourself. Are you in a position where you can get counseling or something?

I dunno. Maybe. It depends how much it is I guess. I make buttons, but you need a brain to live.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I've just come out of a month-long or so bout of something awful myself, so much so that Mrs LMNO started getting concerned.

I seem to be coming out the other side, which is both relieving and problematic, if it's cyclical.

Dubya

If your circumstances improve, but you still have a burning desire to e.g. eat a bullet, then youre depressed.

At least that's my working hypothesis for now. Pills and therapy help a little, though, IME.

"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Hoopla on June 08, 2015, 05:50:23 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 08, 2015, 05:44:59 PM

I dunno. Maybe. It depends how much it is I guess. I make buttons, but you need a brain to live.

A lot of places do sliding scale, it never hurts to ask. For all you know, a few sessions of being told your life is legitimately that insane from a perceived authority is all the medicine you need.

Oh, also, GO THE FUCK OUTSIDE.

Junkenstein

This may be of use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Sapolsky, beyond having a ridiculously soothing voice, covers a shit load of various aspects here. I found it quite useful in dealing with my last bout for various reasons.

Functionally, there may be little difference for you between the two.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Johnny

As always, self-diagnosis is never a good idea and you should see a professional.

After saying that, I second what Dubya kind of says (phrasing though) - if your living and survival conditions are met, and your social and relationship needs are covered (having a fulfilling job and a nice partner always help a lot), then its:

1. Some underlying element or issue that is unresolved (Therapy)
2. It's something neuro-biological going on. (Medication or Exersice)

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

hooplala

Thanks everyone.  I will take that all into account and move forward.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 08, 2015, 07:03:44 PM

This may be of use:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOAgplgTxfc

Sapolsky, beyond having a ridiculously soothing voice, covers a shit load of various aspects here. I found it quite useful in dealing with my last bout for various reasons.

Functionally, there may be little difference for you between the two.

I love Sapolsky. Serious science crush on the man.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Everyone else has already said all the things, so forgive me if I repeat what's been said.

Situational depression is really normal but the thing is, if your situation continues indefinitely, the fact that your depression is situational is meaningless, because you're still depressed.

One way or another, that's a good sign that you need a good therapist, and that something needs to change.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."