News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Theory of the Soul

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, July 08, 2015, 09:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 13, 2015, 05:30:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 13, 2015, 02:50:44 PM
Yeah.  I'm not saying he's wrong, just that he's kind of a wanker.

This is generally true of all philosophers.

Except Wittgenstein, who was both wrong and a wanker.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 12, 2015, 07:51:54 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on November 11, 2015, 05:10:15 PM
Basically, any trait we ascribe to a person, place, or thing. If  someone gives to charity a lot,  we say he's generous. If a house was the scene of a murder we say it's haunted. If we trust someone and they act contrary to that trust, we see it as betrayal. Stuff like that. See also the bit about stories  and how these traits are seen over a lifetime.

So you're defining the word "meaning" as an attribution of a trait?

Is the speed of light an example of "meaning", then? Because the speed of light is a trait attributed to light. Most scientists would disagree with that definition, because a trait is a property inherent to an object or occurrence.

The examples you give are not consistent with that definition, as they are all interpretations of events. That is far more consistent with how most cognitive psychologists and neuroscientists use the term "meaning".
funny thing is, i was all hyped to write up why no, the speed of light wouldnt be , and then i realized holy shit:

the speed of light is 299,792,458 miles/second

"miles" are an arbitrary unit of measure we monkeys made up. they dont exist inherently in the universes. if i wanted to I could decide to measure distance in Q-tips and the only difference is that no one else would agree to measuring things that way.

seconds are a measure of time, which is an illusion of human perception, at least if you go by what the zen buddhists have been going on about.

and "299,792,458" also falls into the category of "squiggles we made up to ascribe meaning to stuff" (example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNymweHW4E)

so yea, i guess it is Nigel. :lulz:
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

minuspace