News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

So what's this whole Race and Gender thing all about....

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, July 10, 2015, 08:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on November 10, 2015, 04:20:45 AM
White privilege is kinda bullshit imo.

Most points about it that people make are illogical.

It's a oppressive term tbh. I can't think critically because I'm white? I can't feel marginalized because I'm white? I can't have empathy because I'm white?

The only privileged I see that I have because I'm white is that cops don't hassle me as much. Which is a problem with how cops are trained not the entirety of society.

Here we go again.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

At this point, I can:

1.  Point Meunster at the million threads in which this was explained.
2.  Explain it the way it was explained to me.
3.  Do nothing, because he'll just shitpost any response.  As always.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Meunster

I'd like 2.

I can do 1 on my own, and 3 I havn't done in awhile.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on November 10, 2015, 04:28:14 AM
I'd like 2.

I can do 1 on my own, and 3 I havn't done in awhile.

I'd like a million bucks and a blowjob from Carly Simon, circa 1975.  That ain't gonna happen either.

And who cares if you've done it in a while?  I wouldn't know.  I haven't even bothered with PD, because between you, PDS, and LuciferX, it's basically 4 Chan retardation in this bitch. 

Meunster

hey, 4chan isn't all retarded. There's some great Anons who I love like family.
There's also about 25% of anons who are retarded and need to be kicked in the head.

It's unfair to judge a sight based off a few boards or a few posts.

It'd be like judging this forum based off all of my posts.
Poe's law ;)

President Television

It's a oppressive term tbh. I can't think critically because I'm white? I can't feel marginalized because I'm white? I can't have empathy because I'm white?

But none of those claims are actually part of the definition of "white privilege." Like, I'm white, but I'm also mentally ill, poor, and bi, and all those things do indeed create problems for me that wouldn't exist if I were sane, rich, and straight. At the same time, I'd be worse off if I also weren't white. I'm not exactly proud of this, but I don't feel guilty about it either. You're attacking a strawman, possibly based on distortions of the concept bred on tumblr and deliberate misrepresentations on /pol/ feeding into each other and twisting it into something stupid.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Meunster

Quote from: President Television on November 10, 2015, 04:53:45 AM

But none of those claims are actually part of the definition of "white privilege." Like, I'm white, but I'm also mentally ill, poor, and bi, and all those things do indeed create problems for me that wouldn't exist if I were sane, rich, and straight. At the same time, I'd be worse off if I also weren't white. I'm not exactly proud of this, but I don't feel guilty about it either. You're attacking a strawman, possibly based on distortions of the concept bred on tumblr and deliberate misrepresentations on /pol/ feeding into each other and twisting it into something stupid.

How would you have it worse off if you weren't white though?

There's a bias towards non whites right now at least on college campuses and in young people.
Poe's law ;)

Chelagoras The Boulder

He could have to live with the possibility of being harassed or killed by cops at any point in his day. He could have his access to things like housing and credit and GODDAMN GROCERY STORES severely hamstringed. Hell it would probably be faster to list the things that PT wouldnt have worse off. Namely, people would assume he can dance and has a huge penis.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Meunster

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on November 10, 2015, 06:43:51 AM
He could have to live with the possibility of being harassed or killed by cops at any point in his day. He could have his access to things like housing and credit and GODDAMN GROCERY STORES severely hamstringed. Hell it would probably be faster to list the things that PT wouldnt have worse off. Namely, people would assume he can dance and has a huge penis.

I don't get outside much, and I live in small college town kansas, but im 90% sure not all cops are blood thristy racists. That bankers care more about fucking your money over than your skin color, and that the only the lowest rung of society actually are stupid enough to belive in steriotypes.
I've met fucking kkk members who are more respectful to blacks then you think the average person is.
Poe's law ;)

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Faust on November 10, 2015, 07:58:39 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 09, 2015, 11:31:43 PM
Anyone from southern Europe is pretty much considered half-white at best.

Wooohoo! :banana:

Not to mention the Irish thing...I think you're technically a black man, Faust.

Faust

I've always had racist shit said when I was in Irish Schools because of my Greek heritage. Its funny because a couple of times over the last year in Essex I've gotten comments about being Irish and how "laid back" we all are over there.

Day before yesterday the fiancée was in school and got a comment about how "good it will look on her CV to have been teaching in an English School" when we go back to Ireland and how we will teach them how to be "hard working".

I know it's not a malicious thing, just an ignorant stereotyping thing but Ireland is in the top ten for English literacy in Europe, top five for maths. While in contrast to that, and the UK is in the low twenties (out of 28 countries) respectively.*

This isn't me saying the UK kids are on average stupid by the way, the real problem is actually entirely bureaucratic, with more and more contact time taken from teachers here and fed to the OFSTED machine, less then an third of their job is actually teaching now. But it's incidental to the point at hand:

Its the assumption that schools back in Ireland must be so bad what with the lack of electricity and the huffing Poitín fumes all day that really gets my goat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24433320

Cain

Yeah, there's definitely a case of stereotyping the Irish as slow but amiable country bumpkins. 

Basically, Britain has to justify everyone else as inferior to themselves.  Historically, and forever.  It's the only thing which justifies our own brutality.

Faust

I guess that a lot of the colonial powers would have similar.

Would I be wrong in thinking a lot of it is Britain trying to find its own cultural identity?

I mean its gone from Imperial power, leader of industry to a more data/banking/communications driven institution and with that a very connected cosmopolitan place.