News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

UNLIMITED 2020 THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, March 01, 2019, 08:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

This is kinda why I walked away from the whole liberal/lefty divide.

It's dumb and full of absolutism.
Molon Lube

LMNO

There's a Chomsky quote out there somewhere that boils down to, "Vote for the lesser evil, and keep protesting when they win.  This isn't something that can be fixed with one election every four years."

Sounds about right.  Lines up with some twitter quote, "Biden's gonna be really confused when he wins, and BLM protests keep happening."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2020, 05:39:34 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on August 12, 2020, 05:38:05 PM

QuoteI understand why, though.  Humans are horribly black-and-white creatures, and nuance is entirely lacking in American politics.  I have no idea how to convey the message of "this guy is a poor candidate, and you must vote for him anyway".  My brain simply isn't wired to look past negatives.

You and many, many others

which is exactly why it's so troubling

Meanwhile, the MAGA freaks do nothing BUT look past his negatives.

Guess which one is in fact the winning strategy?

This.

basically:
:peedee:

Liberals         MAGA          Anyone with any trace of empathy

Trolling used to be funny before it became a political platform.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2020, 04:16:12 PM
There's a Chomsky quote out there somewhere that boils down to, "Vote for the lesser evil, and keep protesting when they win.  This isn't something that can be fixed with one election every four years."

Sounds about right.  Lines up with some twitter quote, "Biden's gonna be really confused when he wins, and BLM protests keep happening."

Well, yes, but the people in question aren't out to make things better.  They have other motivations involving Tumblr.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Oh, I don't mean the online armchair activists, I mean the people who are out there in the streets getting beaten nightly.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on August 17, 2020, 06:45:49 PM
Oh, I don't mean the online armchair activists, I mean the people who are out there in the streets getting beaten nightly.

They get more leeway with me.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cramulus

no idea what thread to place this in -- riots? covid? unlimited 2020?

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/sep/02/joe-biden/has-covid-19-killed-more-cops-all-other-causes

QuoteTwo separate groups find that more law enforcement officers died from COVID-19 than all other causes, including gunfire and car accidents.

Cain

For all that they constantly cry that they were in fear of their life, being a law enforcement officer is not a very dangerous job in most jurisdictions. Construction workers, farmers, truck drivers, garbage collectors and roofers all have higher death rates as occupations than police in the US.

altered

If I'm not mistaken, delivery drivers for UPS, FedEx and Amazon have about the same rates of on the job fatalities as cops do. USPS has lower.

I also am pretty sure that cops have a smaller risk of INJURY than food service industry jobs. (They do still have a greater risk of death, if memory serves, but disabling injuries are more likely if you work at McDonalds or Pizza Hut.)

There is also, pretty sure, a SIGNIFICANTLY greater (like orders of magnitude significant) risk of death if you are homeless than if you are a cop. Again, memory might be failing me. I am 100% positive being homeless is more deadly than being a cop in general: 1/3rd of all homeless people die of preventable diseases, that isn't even counting other causes of death.

All of which is to say that I fucking hate how whiny cops are.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.