Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Huh.  That's... something.

Anyway,
Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2017, 02:30:20 PM
They should be focusing on the claim that the Trump campaign had sustained, purposeful contact with the Russian government at the highest levels.  That's the meat, and if it's true...

This could be the perfect vehicle, from what I'm seeing in mainstream media.  They are balking at the piss play and not talking about it other than "something lurid", but since it's such a story (including Trump's blowup at CNN), they really are focusing on the Trump/Russia connections right now.

Cain

That's something, but I also can't help think that, no matter what, this is "too little, too late".  If it had been leaked in October, or even before the Electoral College vote in December, this could have had an impact.

Now?  I don't know if there is anything that can be done, short of impeachment (which I don't see happening without absolute evidence).

Incidentally, I was reading a doctorate paper on the Russian far-right, from 2007, and this amused: "The strictures of the various pan-national institutions—e.g. those of the EU, NATO, OSCE, Council of Europe etc.—covering Western Europe in general are such that a coherent implementation of radically nationalist policies would be difficult to accomplish even if such a politician could rely on the support of the majority of his (less probable: her) people. Moreover, the post-war economic boom in Western Europe as well as its "nuclear umbrella" supplied by the United States have been major factors in providing longterm affluence, international security and political stability."

That reads to me as "if I were a fascist who wanted to implement far-right politics in the EU, I would undermine the EU, NATO and US military guarantees to Europe in time of an economic crisis".  And lo and behold...

Bu🤠ns

I listened to a lecture he gave at Texas A&M where he did a lot of sugarcoating.  What struck me as interesting is how he presented his position in terms of disdain for western liberalism and universalism. While on one hand I can understand a culture wanting to maintain its cultural identity in the the face of another culture's ideals infiltrating them...but ALSO looking at Russia's actions, Putin's sympathies...it's a LITTLE too on the nose for me to give this man any quarter.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Cain on January 12, 2017, 03:31:46 PM
That's something, but I also can't help think that, no matter what, this is "too little, too late".  If it had been leaked in October, or even before the Electoral College vote in December, this could have had an impact.

Now?  I don't know if there is anything that can be done, short of impeachment (which I don't see happening without absolute evidence).

They brought Bill Clinton to trial for less

Other than that we can only hope that he gets covertly assassinated by the intelligence agencies he's shown so much disdain for.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

So this is interesting; on one of the memos dated September 14th, Steele (and/or associates) said 'kompromat' on Clinton, via emails, would be released after the Duma elections in Russia. 3 weeks later, Wikileaks via APT 28 published the Podesta emails.

Coincidence?  Maybe...but there's a hell of a lot of coincidences piling up here.  The document even referred to the material on Clinton being leaked via a "plausibly deniable" channel...which was also the phrase used by an informant in reference to Wikileaks and their publishing of the DNC hack.

Cain

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on January 12, 2017, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: Cain on January 12, 2017, 03:31:46 PM

They brought Bill Clinton to trial for less

Other than that we can only hope that he gets covertly assassinated by the intelligence agencies he's shown so much disdain for.

Yeah, but Clinton wasn't their own party.  It was politically expedient to do that...whereas many Republicans ended up (reluctantly) backing Trump.  It's egg on their face if it turns out he was a patsy for the FSB all along.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

She was meeting with a Lega Nord representative there.  Lega Nord basically want to take North Italy and go home, because the south is full of poor people with dark skin.

Lega Nord are also big admirers of Putin.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 04:58:38 AM
She was meeting with a Lega Nord representative there.  Lega Nord basically want to take North Italy and go home, because the south is full of poor people with dark skin.

Lega Nord are also big admirers of Putin.

QuoteThey were the victims of immigration

Now they live in reservations!
-Bossi

Cain

It's a bit rich for Italians to complain about immigration. 

That said, the Native American motif is a strangely recurrant one in fascist and far-right groups.  Hitler pointed to the fate of the Native Americans as one (of many) justifications for his drive to expansion.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Purgers gonna purge.

That particular purge stands out as incredibly stupid, but it's hard to say if this purge itself is significant beyond that.    It is a good way to ensure someone in charge of DC's National Guard is loyal to you...which could be very useful.  I know some people are also worried that this mean something will "happen" on inauguration day...I know O'Keefe, scumbag that he is, has been trying to hire "anarchist" protesters to smash shit up on the day.