News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 24, 2015, 04:00:58 PM
One of the more interesting things about Trump - actually interesting, not "hurr durr Trump said something idiotic and hateful" clickbait - is that his economic positions are quite different from the Republican mainstream.

He supports social security, wants universal healthcare, bilateral trade treaties (not free trade) and increased taxes on the rich.

Now, like everything Trump says and does, it's arguable how much of this is his true belief and how much of it is done simply to rub the noses of the GOPs financiers in the fact that they can't control him.  But it's still interesting that rightwing, economic populism - almost as much a fringe position as leftwing economic populism - is getting the kind of support that Trump is.  Part of that could be that he's framing it in ways which appeal to the more, uh, base beliefs of the Republican voters ("fuck China and fuck the Mexicans"), but it's still interesting to note, especially in the context of Sanders, Corbyn, Syriza etc.

I honestly can't tell whether Trump is batshit insane or a brilliant if egotistical strategist. There's a bit of tiger's blood about him, if you know what I mean.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I'm definite it's a mix of the two, though I can't say in what proportions.

You know he's not had to even pay for a campaign ad yet?  He gets on TV, says something dumb or hateful, and gets free "advertising" for days.  I believe the full extent of his riches are questionable, but he's running a fairly cheap campaign, on name recognition and the media's rabid desire for clickbait alone.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 25, 2015, 01:47:19 AM
I'm definite it's a mix of the two, though I can't say in what proportions.

You know he's not had to even pay for a campaign ad yet?  He gets on TV, says something dumb or hateful, and gets free "advertising" for days.  I believe the full extent of his riches are questionable, but he's running a fairly cheap campaign, on name recognition and the media's rabid desire for clickbait alone.

That in itself is kind of remarkable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 22, 2015, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 22, 2015, 08:03:00 AM
Update:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/get-him-the-hell-out-of-here-trump-sics-supporters-on-black-protester-who-gets-beaten-and-kicked/#.VlD4m8gRTIs.facebook

SURPRISE!

Oh wait, nobody is surprised.

In other news, Marco Rubio has proposed that closing mosques and issuing ID badges might not be enough, but that Muslims and suspected Muslims should also be prevented from gathering anywhere they might "inspire" each other.  His examples included internet sites, cafes, etc.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

All lives matter...just not enough to prevent me from beating the shit out of you.

The Good Reverend Roger

Cain

I see this now means all 4 front runners for the Republican Party (Cruz and Rubio are much of a muchness score wise) are in favour of fascism-lite policies.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 22, 2015, 06:56:03 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 22, 2015, 04:28:58 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 22, 2015, 08:03:00 AM
Update:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/get-him-the-hell-out-of-here-trump-sics-supporters-on-black-protester-who-gets-beaten-and-kicked/#.VlD4m8gRTIs.facebook

SURPRISE!

Oh wait, nobody is surprised.

In other news, Marco Rubio has proposed that closing mosques and issuing ID badges might not be enough, but that Muslims and suspected Muslims should also be prevented from gathering anywhere they might "inspire" each other.  His examples included internet sites, cafes, etc.

Yeah, saw that.

I mean, what's the Constitution, anyway?

Bruno

http://gawker.com/noted-racist-donald-trump-tweets-out-anti-black-propaga-1744083487

He's a sloppy liar...

Donald Trump said Sunday that the protester who interrupted his rally at a convention center here on Saturday morning was "so obnoxious and so loud" that "maybe he should have been roughed up."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/11/22/black-activist-punched-at-donald-trump-rally-in-birmingham/

and a thug.
Formerly something else...

Pergamos

The most absurd part of that chart is "whites killed by blacks"  Most people are killed by people of their own race.  The other numbers are wrong, but at least on the right side of 50%

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Bruno

This was so stupid even for him, that I had to go to his twitter page to see it for myself. It was still there an hour ago.
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger