News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Meunster on September 23, 2015, 05:53:09 PM
People are actually going to vote for trump.

Fuck fuck fuck, it was funny at first, but now it's getting serious

Getting seriously funny, you mean.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2015, 05:55:56 PM

Meunster isn't serious about having a good time. ChaosAdvocate thinks he is, but he thinks lots of things.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like how basically the Republican response to Sanders is "Well, we have to nominate someone who is at least as batshit insane as Sanders is reasonable".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Meunster

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 23, 2015, 06:09:12 PM
Quote from: LMNO on September 23, 2015, 05:55:56 PM

Meunster isn't serious about having a good time. ChaosAdvocate thinks he is, but he thinks lots of things.

The problem is if a left person wins and is terrible there will be rioting, economic curruptuon and mudslinging. If a right wing person wins all we'll see is another Ferguson where people stand around in the cold for a few hours holding up signs.
Poe's law ;)

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I still don't understand how this happened. What the hell happened to Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, and Rand Paul?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 23, 2015, 06:45:37 PM

I like how basically the Republican response to Sanders is "Well, we have to nominate someone who is at least as batshit insane as Sanders is reasonable".

What's wrong with Sanders?

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

LMNO

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 23, 2015, 07:00:02 PM

What's wrong with Sanders?

Nothing.  Read that sentence again, slower.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is what the people want.  Rationalism was too hard.  It wasn't comfortable.  So they got together and filled up a clown car, and agreed to pick the craziest clown they could find.  And this clown is crazy, he's madcap and zany and he tells them who to hate.  His brand of hate is easy and it's even traditional; hate everyone that isn't White.  He walks the walk, too, as anyone who saw the rally where his one Black fan tried to get his autograph can tell you.  He just walks it in clown shoes.

The other side isn't so smart.  They're still trying to fix things.  Things do not need "fixing".  If we admitted that, we'd have to admit that something was wrong (aside from Mexicans and Iranians and of course those people).  And if something is wrong, then America isn't a perfect, lily-white heaven which just happens to be under siege from shifty brown people and those treacherous Asians.

The rationalists were, of course, devoured alive.  One candidate choked on her own bile and apologized to republicans.  The other candidate is just doomed.

So, yeah, Trump is the next president, and we'll all get what we've been screaming for.  Our old people will die of preventable causes and our children will drink filthy water for their short & miserable lives.  But at least we won't have to think.  And we'll go show those Iranians a thing or two.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on September 23, 2015, 06:58:32 PM

I still don't understand how this happened. What the hell happened to Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, and Rand Paul?

They couldn't bring themselves to be as committed to Sparkle Motion as Trump is.

You don't seem to understand what's happening with 47% of the country right now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bruno

I think they're trying to show God how SERIOUS they are so he will help them take back the country from the heathens. Funny thing is, Trump isn't even one of the big Jesus-talking ones, which goes to show who their true god is. It's not the god of the New Testament. It's the god of LOOKIT MAH YUUUGE WANG!!!!
Formerly something else...

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 23, 2015, 07:46:12 PM

I think they're trying to show God how SERIOUS they are so he will help them take back the country from the heathens. Funny thing is, Trump isn't even one of the big Jesus-talking ones, which goes to show who their true god is. It's not the god of the New Testament. It's the god of LOOKIT MAH YUUUGE WANG!!!!

I'm pretty sure their god is money

The Good Reverend Roger

What's REALLY awesome is the GOP platform, which includes cool shit like this:

"When patients are aware of costs, they are less likely to over-utilize services."  (If you can't pay out of pocket, get out of the way, rich white people need to see the doctor)

"We will champion the right of individual choice in senior care. We will aggressively implement programs to protect against elder abuse, and we will work to ensure that quality care is provided across the care continuum from home to nursing home to hospice."  (No mention of hospital care is made, so just hurry up and die)

"We support options for learning, including home schooling and local innovations like single-sex classes, full-day school hours, and year-round schools."  (No comment necessary, bolding mine)

"We renew our call for replacing "family planning" programs for teens with abstinence education which teaches abstinence until marriage as the responsible and respected standard of behavior."  (HAW HAW HAW)

https://gop.com/platform/renewing-american-values/

Nast

They should just be upfront and call it Renewing the Dark Ages.

"Simpler, better times!"

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nast on September 23, 2015, 08:38:02 PM
They should just be upfront and call it Renewing the Dark Ages.

"Simpler, better times!"

Seriously, if you read the whole thing, it's enough to make you lose your lunch.  And that's only page 6.

Cain

One of the more interesting things about Trump - actually interesting, not "hurr durr Trump said something idiotic and hateful" clickbait - is that his economic positions are quite different from the Republican mainstream.

He supports social security, wants universal healthcare, bilateral trade treaties (not free trade) and increased taxes on the rich.

Now, like everything Trump says and does, it's arguable how much of this is his true belief and how much of it is done simply to rub the noses of the GOPs financiers in the fact that they can't control him.  But it's still interesting that rightwing, economic populism - almost as much a fringe position as leftwing economic populism - is getting the kind of support that Trump is.  Part of that could be that he's framing it in ways which appeal to the more, uh, base beliefs of the Republican voters ("fuck China and fuck the Mexicans"), but it's still interesting to note, especially in the context of Sanders, Corbyn, Syriza etc.