News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

So, someone suggested an interesting nightmare scenario to me.

Cleveland is a brokered convention.  Due to unrest at previous rallies and political events, the National Guard are put on alert for the convention.  The RNC decides Trump has gone too far and Cruz and Rubio are too unviable, and annoints Kasich as their nominee, as the only guy with a snowball in hell's chance against Clinton.

Trump supporters react predictably, start breaking shit.  The National Guard are called in.

We'd be looking at a situation where a Presidential nominee is using military force to suppress supporters of his chief rival, who arguably has greater democratic support.

It'd be legal.  But politically?  It'd be toxic as hell.

rong

i've been considering attending the convention - just to watch the show.  it's be a long day's drive, but almost worth it.  maybe recoup some gas costs by selling popcorn

Trump/Sanders 2016!
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 16, 2016, 02:57:02 AM
well, that's about it for Sanders.

Probably, though as a long-suffering Seattle sports fan I am accustomed to holding out hope until my team is flat-out mathematically eliminated. Still gonna caucus for him on the 26th. And hot damn, man, I never though I'd live to see any sort of real leftist political movement in America gain even a tiny bit of traction. Kind of gives me a tiny bit of hope for the future.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on March 16, 2016, 03:09:17 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 16, 2016, 02:57:02 AM
well, that's about it for Sanders.

Probably, though as a long-suffering Seattle sports fan I am accustomed to holding out hope until my team is flat-out mathematically eliminated. Still gonna caucus for him on the 26th. And hot damn, man, I never though I'd live to see any sort of real leftist political movement in America gain even a tiny bit of traction. Kind of gives me a tiny bit of hope for the future.

I'll still be voting for him on the 22nd, but my priority right now has changed to keeping the GOP out of the whitehouse.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Thankfully I live in WA so I am afforded the luxury of voting (or not voting) my conscience.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Rubio's done after losing Florida.  No surprises there.  Looks like Trump has cemented his lead over Cruz too...it's still not a done deal, 125 delegates isn't an insurmountable lead....but most of the polls for the remaining states seem to show wins for Trump.  Though some of those polls are pretty out of date, so Cruz may be able to take more at the margins...

Junkenstein

I am increasingly surprised at each day that passes where no-one has managed to grab and/or steal Trump's wig.

If this doesn't occur soon it'll end up a significant historical relic like Washington's Teeth or Jackson's pimp cane.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

Kasich sounds like he's going to hold on until the convention, as the "reasonable" alternative.

Won't it be funny when his ideas and track record gets vetted by the public?

"Well, at least he's not openly racist."

Cain

With Rubio gone, and Cruz not yet given some lithium meds, Kasich is the only "elite-approved" RNC friendly candidate now left in the race.

And so the likelihood of all hell breaking loose in Cleveland comes one step closer...

LMNO

The funny thing about voting early in the primaries is that you only get the initial pitch from the candidates, and can only witness from the wings what happens a month or so down the road.

Which is to say, Bernie's ideas about international trade don't have much economic evidence to back them up, and it sounds more and more like he's demagoguing.  I dunno, I feel you can still be a populist without resorting to truth-stretching.

The Good Reverend Roger

I've heard enough shit from my fellow Sanders voters concerning those of my family and friends who have instead opted for Clinton.  I won't tolerate that anymore than I tolerated Clinton fans making ridiculous comments about Sanders voters.

As such, I will not be voting in the primary on the 22nd.  Sorry, Senator Sanders.  It wasn't you, it was them.

Cain

Jeb just endorsed Cruz for President.

Establishment getting behind the Zodiac Killer? 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on March 23, 2016, 02:05:58 PM
Jeb just endorsed Cruz for President.

Establishment getting behind the Zodiac Killer?

Jeb was, after all, tragically born without a sense of dignity.

Junkenstein

More wins for Trump and Clinton.

At least the upcoming attack ads should be amusing.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.