News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 29, 2016, 05:26:50 PM

And for the record, Roger may or may not being a shitty human is not up for debate due to irrelevance. The committee is currently in session  to determine the quality of his lizardness.

Brothers and sisters, I have a scheme...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

This has seriously been the worst election cycle in my lifetime. And we still have 5 more months of this shit. I'm exhausted, I've poisoned relationships with family members that I thought were always going to be there, I've been in no fewer than three heated arguments with the husband, who can't even goddamn vote shut the fuck up already, my kids are genuinely afraid for their future and asking me about the separation of powers and how impeachment works. Fuck all this shit straight to hell.

I'm gonna vote, but I may just write in a big middle finger for the presidency if this keeps up much longer. I'm in a solid blue state, my vote in the general doesn't mean dick anyway.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2016, 05:45:19 PM

And for the record, Roger may or may not being a shitty human is not up for debate due to irrelevance. The committee is currently in session  to determine the quality of his lizardness.

...Of black children, and white children slaving away in our glorious swamps providing free range food for all lizard-kind.

I'm calling campaign manager. Can't beat 'em, collaborate with them.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 29, 2016, 07:15:31 PM

...Of black children, and white children slaving away in our glorious swamps providing free range food for all lizard-kind.

That's what I'm talking about.  If you can't stick to glass, you're an ass.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 29, 2016, 07:10:38 PM
This has seriously been the worst election cycle in my lifetime. And we still have 5 more months of this shit. I'm exhausted, I've poisoned relationships with family members that I thought were always going to be there, I've been in no fewer than three heated arguments with the husband, who can't even goddamn vote shut the fuck up already, my kids are genuinely afraid for their future and asking me about the separation of powers and how impeachment works. Fuck all this shit straight to hell.

I'm gonna vote, but I may just write in a big middle finger for the presidency if this keeps up much longer. I'm in a solid blue state, my vote in the general doesn't mean dick anyway.

Yep.  That is precisely my feeling on the subject.  Spot on.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2016, 07:25:30 PM

Yep.  That is precisely my feeling on the subject.  Spot on.

I swear to Zod the next person who says they'd rather have Trump because "at least it'd be INTERESTING" I am revoking their goddamned breathing privileges.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Faust on March 29, 2016, 05:03:31 PM

In fact some parties are deliberately trying to stay out of government despite having slightly higher numbers because they will be destroyed when the next election comes. Its cool because what the people have effectively said to the lot is "fuck you" and its resulted in a paralysed government that even if it forms will be unable to pass any kind of contentious issue (for better or worse).

So what has been the general result to actual day to day life? I'm guessing people have noticed but I have no idea of actual impact. I imagine most things are ticking along relatively well and public pressure will probably force any immediate issues. The water still fucked there?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2016, 07:24:23 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on March 29, 2016, 07:15:31 PM

That's what I'm talking about.  If you can't stick to glass, you're an ass.

That's the most electable slogan I've heard in this entire cycle.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 29, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Quote from: Faust on March 29, 2016, 05:03:31 PM

In fact some parties are deliberately trying to stay out of government despite having slightly higher numbers because they will be destroyed when the next election comes. Its cool because what the people have effectively said to the lot is "fuck you" and its resulted in a paralysed government that even if it forms will be unable to pass any kind of contentious issue (for better or worse).

So what has been the general result to actual day to day life? I'm guessing people have noticed but I have no idea of actual impact. I imagine most things are ticking along relatively well and public pressure will probably force any immediate issues. The water still fucked there?
Too soon to notice much, the president was the one leading all the 1916 centenary celebrations though which was really nice. Looks like Irish Water will be abolished or scaled back massively because most of the people who got in are the ones who said they would get rid of it.
But otherwise yeah, month without a ruling government and things are fine.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, I spent the last half hour climbing out of the adit, and in that solitude it occurred to me that I still have three reasons - which I am not here to discuss- that I have for holding my nose and going to vote for whomever the dem candidate is.  So I guess I gotta.

Doesn't mean I have to be pals with any of their shitbag fanatical partisans, though, and it most assuredly means I don't have to forgive and/or forget a Goddamn thing.

The Good Reverend Roger

Gotta say, I'm amused at Clinton's staff geek saying she won't debate until Sanders "changes his tone", which I gather means "stop complaining when Clinton runs over on the clock and then interrupts you."

Which brings to mind Trump not debating unless Meghan Kelly stopped being mean.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2016, 08:35:30 PM
Well, I spent the last half hour climbing out of the adit, and in that solitude it occurred to me that I still have three reasons - which I am not here to discuss- that I have for holding my nose and going to vote for whomever the dem candidate is.  So I guess I gotta.

Doesn't mean I have to be pals with any of their shitbag fanatical partisans, though, and it most assuredly means I don't have to forgive and/or forget a Goddamn thing.

I've done my best to stop listening to supporters on both sides since the MA primaries.  Like, I can plainly see which party I'm going to go with  in November, so it doesn't really bother me which one gets it.  Though it's gonna be a tough road for Bernie.  But who knows?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on March 29, 2016, 10:38:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 29, 2016, 08:35:30 PM

I've done my best to stop listening to supporters on both sides since the MA primaries.  Like, I can plainly see which party I'm going to go with  in November, so it doesn't really bother me which one gets it.  Though it's gonna be a tough road for Bernie.  But who knows?

Doesn't really matter.  I have concluded that my responsibility begins and ends with keeping Nazis out of the white house.

After that I don't care. 

1.  Nazis out.
2.  Misanthropy in high gear.
3. ???
4.  Profit.

I despise the right because they are evil.  I despise almost everyone else because they are stupid.  I don't mean the kind of stupid everyone does, like locking the keys in the car.  I mean the kind of stupid that comes from eating paint chips or doing bath salts.  I am a giant ball of hate right now, and I really do think there's enough coming out the back of me to go around.  There are three people that are behind Hugh on the general forgiveness list.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

I'm gonna vote, but I may just write in a big middle finger for the presidency if this keeps up much longer.

Like a joke candidate, or an actual moddle finger drawn on the ballot?

(And if a joke candidate, who do you favor? Vermin Supreme? Incitatus (Caligula's horse)? "Yo mama"?

EDIT:
Of course it could be argued that Trump is every bit as ridiculous a candidate as Incitatus or Vermin Supreme
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 29, 2016, 02:53:27 PM
I wish I could share your optimism, but it seems a little misplaced. I can't realistically see anyone inclined to curb the income gap for example. Not in a way that doesn't allow the wealthy to avoid/benefit from any such laws enacted.

While Trump would obviously make things worse, I'm struggling to see Clinton making anything better. Who-ever wins, it's quite likely that there will be a huge racially related news story within the first 3 months for sure. While Clinton may address the problem in a more palatable way, I can't see her crippling the X to prison pipelines or removing bullshit search and seizure laws. Or any significant change in law that is an actual progressive move. The Sheriff Joes will continue as normal regardless of who is in control. And as long as you have Sheriff Joes, you'll get a whole heap of unjust racist bullshit.

A change of president does not mean that all the idiot TSA/Border agents/what-have-you's will suddenly just stop their shit. With a republican in charge it may get worse. With a democrat in charge, I'd say it's likely to stay the same, at best.

The point is, under Trump, or a lesser extent other Republicans, the ways it will get worse will almost certainly impact on ethnic minorities more than it will on white Americans.

However unpalatably phrased parts of that opinion piece may be, I think that is pretty unarguable. Clinton isn't exactly an ideal President either, but the point is, she's not the one currently arguing all Muslims need to be banned from the USA, or that Mexicans are rapists and murderers.