News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What I find most amusing and yet also frustrating about this election is how shockingly many white men can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that the votes of women and minorities actually matter. Let alone that they matter enough to potentially render white male votes irrelevant.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 03:58:56 AM
Quote from: Cain on September 13, 2016, 11:02:39 AM
BTW, just thought I should mention Tila Tequila, she of minor fame before she had brain damage and started to worship Hitler and worry about the Illuminati, is going to be a keynote speaker at an alt-right conference.

Yes, you've read right: the alt-right is politically compatible with the kind of paranoid, racist nonsense one spews due to literal brain damage.

WAT

Tila Tequila, who got trash thrown on her at the Gathering of the Juggalos until she left the stage, because even Juggalos find her racist homophobic garbage intolerable?

Wait? Why is that unusual? Aren't all of ICP's songs about people going to hell (and/or getting tortured by ghostly carnies) because they were racist in life?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 04:02:39 AM
Quote from: Xaz on September 13, 2016, 02:53:35 PM
Good job Hillary's campaign is focussing on the important issues

I mean, fair enough pointing out the links between Trump and white supremacy but that article doesn't really hit any salient points. It ends too soon before actually drawing conclusions.

Also I don't like the way the large, bolded headlines feel like they're presupposing what the reader should be thinking.

It is interesting to see how the Trump campaign has successfully embraced memes from various online forums (You can't stump the Trump etc.) How are they able to do this so successfully? Is it because the memes are 'custom-made' (by those nefarious Russian trolls) or are they taken and reimagined as the above link claims.. or are they just better at interacting and harnessing the chaotic output of the internet?

When people finally get sick of the term 'alt-right' I will be glad.

Yeah, I mean, racism isn't really important or culturally relevant or historically relevant or a major issue right now. Pssssshhht why are they wasting their time?

Point taken.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 04:10:51 AM
What I find most amusing and yet also frustrating about this election is how shockingly many white men can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that the votes of women and minorities actually matter. Let alone that they matter enough to potentially render white male votes irrelevant.

TBH, it's been the case that since the 1950s, the Democrats have not had at least 50% of the white vote.  And it doesn't seem to have harmed their electoral prospects any.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 04:10:51 AM

USA politics has been a long example of white people doing crazy things due to fear of other races. The black/American Indian/Chinese/Japanese populations have plenty of history. The exact reasons vary but the common theme is white people being terrified of passing any political control to others. Probably because there's a bit of comeuppance due for a lot of shady shit.

What I've been finding funny lately is you guys also used to treat Australians the same way in the gold rush eras. I guess if there's a disadvantaged migrant population to kick it must be worth about 25% of the total vote to do so. Which means more pandering to crazy people in the future.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Unrelated note, a friend was trying to work out which actor he's putting money on. He's gone for Charley sheen. I nearly paid him on the spot.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/data-points/poll-clinton-s-lead-narrows-among-independents-voters-nationally-n646911

QuoteHillary Clinton's national lead over Donald Trump continues to narrow. Clinton now leads Trump 48 percent to 44 percent, a decline of 2 points since last week, according to results from the latest NBC News|SurveyMonkey Weekly Election Tracking Poll.

QuoteIn a four-way match-up, Clinton leads Trump by just 2 points — 42 percent to 40 percent. Libertarian Gary Johnson maintains 11 points, essentially unmoved even after his "Aleppo" campaign gaffe, and Green Party candidate Jill Stein maintains 4 points.

Junkenstein

It's funny how the greens never end up grabbing a significant share, even in protest vote situations. It must be tough to stomach when you see the competition. I would have thought they would be doing better against a field that is essentially the far right, the centre right and the crazy right. Just running ads on that basis should get you 10%.

Pergamos

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 14, 2016, 03:59:40 AM
It never occurred to me before now, but I bet Clinton is getting the Juggalo vote.

I dunno, the Juggalos I know are going for Jill Stein or Gary Johnson.  Not being a winner is part of the whole juggalo thing.

Pergamos

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 14, 2016, 09:15:29 PM
It's funny how the greens never end up grabbing a significant share, even in protest vote situations. It must be tough to stomach when you see the competition. I would have thought they would be doing better against a field that is essentially the far right, the centre right and the crazy right. Just running ads on that basis should get you 10%.

The left is more scared of Republicans than the right is of Democrats.  Also the Greens are a bunch of hippies.

Cain

Meanwhile, the press and Hillary Clinton are discussing Pepe the Frog.

Just when you thought this election cycle couldn't get more surreal...

Junkenstein

It gets better:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37381452

QuoteDonald Trump, the main supporter of false claims about Barack Obama's birthplace, has finally said he accepts that the president was born in the US, "period".
But Mr Trump also falsely accused Hillary Clinton's team of starting the so-called "birther" campaign in 2008.

How much of the USA is on meth now? A lot, right?

Pæs

Quote from: Junkenstein on September 16, 2016, 09:48:20 PM
It gets better:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37381452

QuoteDonald Trump, the main supporter of false claims about Barack Obama's birthplace, has finally said he accepts that the president was born in the US, "period".
But Mr Trump also falsely accused Hillary Clinton's team of starting the so-called "birther" campaign in 2008.

How much of the USA is on meth now? A lot, right?

That full Trump statement was an amazing read just for the levels of "fuck reality" it demonstrated:

Quote"Hillary Clinton's campaign first raised this issue to smear then-candidate Barack Obama in her very nasty, failed 2008 campaign for President. This type of vicious and conniving behavior is straight from the Clinton Playbook. As usual, however, Hillary Clinton was too weak to get an answer. Even the MSNBC show Morning Joe admits that it was Clinton's henchmen who first raised this issue, not Donald J. Trump.

In 2011, Mr. Trump was finally able to bring this ugly incident to its conclusion by successfully compelling President Obama to release his birth certificate. Mr. Trump did a great service to the President and the country by bringing closure to the issue that Hillary Clinton and her team first raised. Inarguably, Donald J. Trump is a closer. Having successfully obtained President Obama's birth certificate when others could not, Mr. Trump believes that President Obama was born in the United States.

Mr. Trump is now totally focused on bringing jobs back to America, defeating radical Islamic terrorism, taking care of our veterans, introducing school choice opportunities and rebuilding and making our inner cities safe again." – Jason Miller, Senior Communications Advisor

Junkenstein

When this centuries propaganda is s studied in the future this is going to be a fantastic example of the big lie.

Doubly so if it works. I have a horrible feeling it might. It's just stupid and crazy enough.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2016, 02:00:24 AM
Meanwhile, the press and Hillary Clinton are discussing Pepe the Frog.

Just when you thought this election cycle couldn't get more surreal...

https://pepethefrogfaith.wordpress.com/

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."