News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 09, 2016, 09:01:51 AM
Thanks. My username is a reference to Mithridates VI of Pontus and his approach to dealing with poison, not Mithras, though he seems cool and reminds me of Jesus.

Noted

Perhaps we shall have discourse upon another thread. Welcome to PD.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

POFP

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 09, 2016, 10:36:44 AM
Hey, RP...Still supporting Trump today?

:lulz:

It appears that it might not be for the reasons assumed previously. Seems like he just wants the American people to get what they wanted so they can finally want something else.

Whether or not that'll be how it all plays out (they want something else afterwards), is a totally different story.

Also, the fact that this presidential race appears to be close makes me think that maybe his basis is incorrect - That the American People REALLY want it. You see, I don't think the American People really wanted either Trump or Clinton. I think what they really wanted was the race - The consideration of both of them to terrify their ideological opponents.
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on October 09, 2016, 12:49:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 09, 2016, 10:36:44 AM
Hey, RP...Still supporting Trump today?

:lulz:

It appears that it might not be for the reasons assumed previously. Seems like he just wants the American people to get what they wanted so they can finally want something else.

Whether or not that'll be how it all plays out (they want something else afterwards), is a totally different story.

Also, the fact that this presidential race appears to be close makes me think that maybe his basis is incorrect - That the American People REALLY want it. You see, I don't think the American People really wanted either Trump or Clinton. I think what they really wanted was the race - The consideration of both of them to terrify their ideological opponents.

Gosh that sounds a lot like what all the reasonable folk were expecting out of the Brexit vote, just a political statement of being "fed up with the things" perhaps. Then it went all funny really fast, but not funny HaHa.

Just saying it's almost like a storytelling "formula" plot, but actually going to get folks dead because nonfiction.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

What the people want, and the protest vote are a pretty grim view of peoples thinking:

"I'm really dissatisfied with my nation, and would like the opportunity to fuck it over with a protest vote, and while Clinton is pretty bad and would probably thoroughly suck enough, I think we should go all out and vote in an Ogre to make sure we can do some lasting damage and really shit all over the carpet"
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 09, 2016, 06:43:45 PM
What the people want, and the protest vote are a pretty grim view of peoples thinking:

"I'm really dissatisfied with my nation, and would like the opportunity to fuck it over with a protest vote, and while Clinton is pretty bad and would probably thoroughly suck enough, I think we should go all out and vote in an Ogre to make sure we can do some lasting damage and really shit all over the carpet"

Or

"I've a very disappointed white person that doesn't like the direction my country is heading.  Giving women, blacks, other minorities as cute at first but it really has gone too far.  So, I'd like to burn down the system in order to replace it with something more me.  More white-person-before-women.  I have not got the skill or the knowledge to replace that system and make it function, but something is bound to come up!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

:horrormirth: "We've had too much progress, lets do the other option this time"
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Faust on October 09, 2016, 08:58:26 PM

Yup. For decades underground and now up in the daylight like real Uruk-hai, made bold by the engineering and mass sacrifices of mad Sarumon... er I Mean Tolkien is just a fiction. .yeah.  :oops:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 09, 2016, 08:58:26 PM

Loads of progress means it gets harder to play "the rugged individualist".

trix

Consequences. 

If Clinton wins, things will continue more or less along the same route it's already on, rich get richer poor get poorer big business grins and poor families weep.

If Trump wins, one way or the other a whole lot more of actual American lives will get much, much worse.

Since at this point voting any other way will do exactly squat for this election it seems a very clear vote.

Normally elections are (as South Park hilariously noted) Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich.  But, this election, is between Giant Douche and the fucking KKK.  Not that extreme you say?  Look at a Trump rally.  ANY Trump rally.  What do you think the more aggressive, racist, and homophobic types from those rallies will do once their racism, homophobia, and other socially reprehensible traits become represented at the Presidential level?  I'd bet my white, male, privileged ass that I'll start hearing 'nigger' and 'spic' and other racial slurs start to become more common at the very least.  And the violence against homosexuals, minorities, etc?  Yeah, pretty much guaranteed to escalate.

I'm trying to understand.  I really am.  I agree with you that the characters themselves are more for show than anything.  That does not make them unimportant.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

MMIX

Quote from: xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed) on October 08, 2016, 12:51:09 PM
I saw this quote floating around and did not fucking believe it but its real:

Quote"My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders,

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/927

Do you honestly expect the people who were fucked by NAFTA to vote for THIS?

Why not? If the implications are fully and honestly explained to them. And why would you doubt it is real?

Tell you what. Lets go back to the real quote in its proper context shall we?

Quote*Hillary Clinton Said Her Dream Is A Hemispheric Common Market, With Open Trade And Open Markets. *"My dream is a hemispheric common market, with open trade and open borders, some time in the future with energy that is as green and sustainable as we can get it, powering growth and opportunity for every person in the hemisphere." [05162013 Remarks to Banco Itau.doc, p. 28]
Personally I think that this is a quite limited dream; I would go for a Global common market myself, kind of like in Star Trek, because this is a "DREAM" which is inevitably "some time in the future" seemingly quite a long time because it comes with the corollary of  "energy that is as green and sustainable as we can get it".  So not anytime soon while US power is still so dependent on fossil fuels, oil, coal and that wonderful shale gas stuff.

I also read the rest of the, allegedly damning, leaked materials you keep linking to, and I can't see any problem with them. I would be fascinated if you could explain what is so problematic about this material.  Do you not like free trade or something?
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Pæs

https://www.facebook.com/GlennBeck/posts/10154622008673188

Quote from: Glenn BeckIt is not acceptable to ask a moral, dignified man to cast his vote to help elect an immoral man who is absent decency or dignity.
If the consequence of standing against Trump and for principles is indeed the election of Hillary Clinton, so be it. At least it is a moral, ethical choice.

Trivial

Quote from: Pæs on October 10, 2016, 12:48:59 AM

Quote from: Glenn BeckIt is not acceptable to ask a moral, dignified man to cast his vote to help elect an immoral man who is absent decency or dignity.
If the consequence of standing against Trump and for principles is indeed the election of Hillary Clinton, so be it. At least it is a moral, ethical choice.

I read the comments.   :eek:
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

POFP

Holy shit... I never thought I'd see the day...
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Fernando The Poo, Hole of Ass on October 10, 2016, 01:48:17 AM

Holy shit... I never thought I'd see the day...

:cry: <--- these are happy fake tears, not sad ones. There's no way this could now get better. I'm inclined to think we've hit "Peak Lulz", but everyone knows that's just a hoax perpetuated to keep the market hot.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl