News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 08:14:36 PM
Purgers gonna purge.

That particular purge stands out as incredibly stupid, but it's hard to say if this purge itself is significant beyond that.    It is a good way to ensure someone in charge of DC's National Guard is loyal to you...which could be very useful.  I know some people are also worried that this mean something will "happen" on inauguration day...I know O'Keefe, scumbag that he is, has been trying to hire "anarchist" protesters to smash shit up on the day.

Yeah, I just don't get why it would seem like a good idea to anyone to have the head of the National Guard leave his post on Inauguration Day. The following day, sure, maybe. But ON THE DAY? That just seems incredibly foolish.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

It is in line with all the other political appointees who Trump is demanding leave their posts.  With Trump it's hard to tell whether it's simply incompetence or whether there is method to the madness.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 08:26:22 PM
It is in line with all the other political appointees who Trump is demanding leave their posts.  With Trump it's hard to tell whether it's simply incompetence or whether there is method to the madness.

Yeah, it really is hard to detect what is ego-driven, irrational hubris, and what is actual strategy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

When does Obama get to do his pardons if that's still a thing.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Faust on January 13, 2017, 08:44:48 PM
When does Obama get to do his pardons if that's still a thing.

Not sure of the exact date, but it's still a thing.  Allegedly Chelsea Manning is on the short list, along with a whole bunch of non-violent drug offences.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I actually wouldn't be half surprised if it was your own guys.  If I wanted to create the perception Russia was fucking with the US, to build political and public support for more aggressive cyber-operations against them, this is what I'd do.

But it could also be the Russians fucking with you, a non-state actor or even dumb technical/human error, though very coincidental if so.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 04:38:42 PM
It's a bit rich for Italians to complain about immigration. 

That said, the Native American motif is a strangely recurrant one in fascist and far-right groups.  Hitler pointed to the fate of the Native Americans as one (of many) justifications for his drive to expansion.

Very rich for the North.  Ironic misappropriation even for Lega Nord's attempt at secession.  Something about right-wing nationalist movements that confuses what actually belongs to them.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 13, 2017, 09:30:34 PM
I actually wouldn't be half surprised if it was your own guys.  If I wanted to create the perception Russia was fucking with the US, to build political and public support for more aggressive cyber-operations against them, this is what I'd do.

But it could also be the Russians fucking with you, a non-state actor or even dumb technical/human error, though very coincidental if so.

I think, from most likely to least likely:

Russia
Non-state actors (ie, Stormfront)
Botswana
Us.

Because our people don't have much in the way of a sense of humor, and always get caught.  Every single time.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Sung Low

I don't know how much weight this carries, but a friend of mine seems to be about one step removed from Assange. He's pretty adamant that the hacks came from the CIA. Obviously I don't know, but this guy doesn't seem to have a reason to lie about what he's been told. Of course, whether he's been lied to is another matter.

I guess I'm just throwing more speculation into the pot of Who Fucking Knows.
The d key has chosen to absent itself

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sung Low on January 14, 2017, 02:58:34 AM

I don't know how much weight this carries, but a friend of mine seems to be about one step removed from Assange. He's pretty adamant that the hacks came from the CIA. Obviously I don't know, but this guy doesn't seem to have a reason to lie about what he's been told. Of course, whether he's been lied to is another matter.

Not even.  Assange was so blatantly in the tank for Trump, it's gotta be the Russians.

Rev Thwack

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 14, 2017, 05:45:22 AM

Not even.  Assange was so blatantly in the tank for Trump, it's gotta be the Russians.

As you all try to piece this mess together, let's not forget the history of how Assange came to be known. He started off with the stated purpose of acting against the U.S. and other western nations that kept state secrets. He has a history of releasing information that's directly harmful to the U.S. and its interests. Let's also remember that Russia has a long and documented history of using cyber attacks and disinformation to directly interfere in governments with interests counter to theirs. Lastly, there is still the need/call to apply Occam's Razor to the world of international intelligence operations.

I've personally had too long of an involvement with the intelligence community to be able to, trusted to, or desire to comment much further on this.
My balls itch...

Cain

You mean DNC/Podesta hacks?  Forensic evidence links them to APT28 which, if it isn't a GRU cyberwarfare outfit, is certainly willing to act like one.  I don't see why the CIA would be hacking NATO emails and Ukrainian artillery.