News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2015, 07:03:03 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 08, 2015, 10:25:17 AM
Good luck, Dok.  I see in no way that this could not be a story someday.

No, this ain't ever gonna be a story.  I've been forced out of the profession that has taken most of my life to learn.

This isn't about stories.  Sometimes shit is a little more important than stories.

What the fuck? But Why?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 08, 2015, 07:03:03 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 08, 2015, 10:25:17 AM
Good luck, Dok.  I see in no way that this could not be a story someday.

No, this ain't ever gonna be a story.  I've been forced out of the profession that has taken most of my life to learn.

This isn't about stories.  Sometimes shit is a little more important than stories.

What the fuck? But Why?

Spite on the part of Lilly and cowardice on the part of my #2.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Seriously, this fucking online class.

Paper was due Saturday at 11:00 pm. I was ALMOST done, but had a wedding to attend at 6pm, so I figured I'd head home at ten, put the finishing touches on it, and submit it. Except... the website was down for maintenance. So I emailed it to the professor. She emailed me back today, saying that she can't accept emailed submissions. But the Dropbox is closed on the website.

I anticipated problems, so I have a screenshot of the "down for maintenance" screen. And the syllabus with the 11 pm due deadline, because I bet she's going to try  to tell me it was 10:00. But ffs what the fuck.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

...annnnnnnd just realized I fucked myself by writing the wrong due date on my calendar.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 10, 2015, 07:04:12 PM
...annnnnnnd just realized I fucked myself by writing the wrong due date on my calendar.  :horrormirth:

Aw, fuck.   :sad:
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cain

Doktor Howl

So, the test run of smashwords for publishing goes up for sale tomorrow.

"My Girl Friday."

Also, we found a MUCH faster way of eliminating fuckups.  You take a word file, jam it into wordpad to strip all the formatting, set the font to 12 pt TNR, and save it.  Then import it back to windows.  All gremlins killed.  Then you add italics, etc.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 11, 2015, 10:11:45 PM
Woot! More people I can give money to!

Doing the final proof-reads now.  My punctuation is potato.   :lulz:

By this evening, I should have it in font and prepped for upload.  Tomorrow evening it will be uploaded, which means it should be available on nook, kindle, etc Wednesday morning at midnight.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

If this works as well as I expect it will, I will have the first third of Little Orange up by a week from tomorrow, with the other two thirds coming at one/week.  The "nuclear option" editing style pretty much handled all the glitches (so far).  The majority of the problems were caused by the documents being done in several different formats first (here, then Paes putting it in word, then my version of word, etc).

Basically, you open it in wordpad, save it as text only/no formatting, and then put it back in Word.  Then you assign a font size & type, and re-add any bolding or italics, then assign chapter headings, then pics, then submit.

Nigel, I will contact you with a coupon code for LO, which has been changed to "Little Orange in the Underground".  The code works only at the smashwords site, but you can download from there to nook, kindle, or PC/tablet.

Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 01:51:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
Ah shit, is there any possibility of a resit?

What is a "resit"?

Ah, no chance then, or serious question?  Sorry, I've been up 20 hours at this point, and have spent most of the past three nights redoing the entire paperwork system from scratch while working on my own, so my head is fairly fuzzy right now.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 12, 2015, 07:32:09 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 12, 2015, 01:51:59 AM
Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2015, 05:43:30 PM
Ah shit, is there any possibility of a resit?

What is a "resit"?

Ah, no chance then, or serious question?  Sorry, I've been up 20 hours at this point, and have spent most of the past three nights redoing the entire paperwork system from scratch while working on my own, so my head is fairly fuzzy right now.

Serious question; that's either not a term we use here, or  my head is so fucked up from finals stress that I am fully drawing a blank.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 12, 2015, 03:05:55 AM
If this works as well as I expect it will, I will have the first third of Little Orange up by a week from tomorrow, with the other two thirds coming at one/week.  The "nuclear option" editing style pretty much handled all the glitches (so far).  The majority of the problems were caused by the documents being done in several different formats first (here, then Paes putting it in word, then my version of word, etc).

Basically, you open it in wordpad, save it as text only/no formatting, and then put it back in Word.  Then you assign a font size & type, and re-add any bolding or italics, then assign chapter headings, then pics, then submit.

Nigel, I will contact you with a coupon code for LO, which has been changed to "Little Orange in the Underground".  The code works only at the smashwords site, but you can download from there to nook, kindle, or PC/tablet.

That is awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it.