News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: It's actually about ethics in fictional bars

Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2015, 02:39:00 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 12:50:33 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
Apparently the law says it can be destroyed by staff...but if we were caught transporting it to the school, we could very easily be arrested and prosecuted (we would have to prove in a court of law that we intended to take them to be destroyed).

So they may be on safe legal ground in that regard, but the reasoning behind it could still be criminal, ultimately.

Plus they just generally sound like a sack of jerks.

I did have to restrain myself when our "team leader" and brave shouter at children went off on a 2 minute tirade (I timed it) against one of my co-workers during the meeting.

I'm hoping my look of complete disdain conveyed my feelings well enough, and I know that member of staff is going to put in a formal complaint, but I still feel I should have interjected and said something.
I may have overreacted to his lack of propriety; not a very receptive state.  Cool restraint now possible.

LMNO

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 12:53:45 AM
I'm kind of freaking out over not knowing what sort of writing sample to submit for the neuroscience graduate program. A research paper? A poster?

This is probably not helpful: submit something that shows you're an interesting human willing to work to learn things and find stuff out, because discovery is cool.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on November 03, 2015, 03:36:44 AM
I'm kind of freaking out over not knowing what sort of writing sample to submit for the neuroscience graduate program. A research paper? A poster?

This is probably not helpful: submit something that shows you're an interesting human willing to work to learn things and find stuff out, because discovery is cool.

The problem is that the instructions say "a writing sample". That's it.

Yet, it's a science program. So they likely want a sample of science writing, ie. a research paper, abstract, or poster.

Most biology graduate programs don't ask for a writing sample at all.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The statement of purpose is a completely separate piece of writing, not to be confused with a writing sample.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Faust

Quote from: Meunster on November 03, 2015, 02:31:03 AM
I wish I was crazy or a zealot.
Nihilism is boring.

Then do it. You're a  Nihilist, there's nothing stopping you.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 03:43:39 AM

Yet, it's a science program. So they likely want a sample of science writing, ie. a research paper, abstract, or poster.

Ask someone involved with the graduate admissions. I've found the ones working at the schools I'm applying to, to be very helpful.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on November 03, 2015, 02:09:58 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 03:43:39 AM

Ask someone involved with the graduate admissions. I've found the ones working at the schools I'm applying to, to be very helpful.

Yes, that and talking to my advisor are the obvious solutions, neither of which was available to me last night when I was posting because they were at home and not at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cainad (dec.)

Have you tried throwing fistfuls of sacrificial goat entrails into a fiery pit while screaming curses into the indifferent Void?

I mean I'm not an expert or anything but that just seems like the solution from where I'm standing, imo.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was nothing like the level of not helpful I received when I posted a question on my FB wall last night. A couple of my friends really went above and beyond in the not helpful department. I believe I received two "A research poster wouldn't fly in the social sciences", two "talk to your adviser"s, and at least one "email the admissions liaison", because those are things that would clearly never occur to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on November 03, 2015, 03:05:02 PM
Have you tried throwing fistfuls of sacrificial goat entrails into a fiery pit while screaming curses into the indifferent Void?

I mean I'm not an expert or anything but that just seems like the solution from where I'm standing, imo.

:lulz:

That sounds pretty much exactly like the grad school application process.

Also, literally the most helpful advice I've received since last Wednesday.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on November 03, 2015, 01:53:40 PM

This is the best thing I've read all month.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 02:48:14 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2015, 02:39:00 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 03, 2015, 12:50:33 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2015, 12:31:21 AM
Apparently the law says it can be destroyed by staff...but if we were caught transporting it to the school, we could very easily be arrested and prosecuted (we would have to prove in a court of law that we intended to take them to be destroyed).

So they may be on safe legal ground in that regard, but the reasoning behind it could still be criminal, ultimately.

Plus they just generally sound like a sack of jerks.

I did have to restrain myself when our "team leader" and brave shouter at children went off on a 2 minute tirade (I timed it) against one of my co-workers during the meeting.

I'm hoping my look of complete disdain conveyed my feelings well enough, and I know that member of staff is going to put in a formal complaint, but I still feel I should have interjected and said something.

I rarely know what to do with people like that.

Well, I've decided I wont go to any staff party he is present.

Drinking alcohol around him would make suppressing the urge to punch his face actually literally impossible.  Beyond that...I'll tell my coworker I'll back her complaint, and if he ever speaks to someone like that again, I'm going to suggest that either he leaves, or the rest of the staff do, since he's not interested in having any kind of productive conversation.

And I'm sure you've already thought of this, but do you have any especially highly rated pieces of writing from previous University assignments?  I considered using some from my first degree for my application, but ultimately I wasn't satisfied with them in comparison with writing a new piece entirely.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 03, 2015, 03:52:33 PM
Quote from: Faust on November 03, 2015, 01:53:40 PM

This is the best thing I've read all month.   :lulz:

Thanks, I was afraid it was cutting it dangerously close to being a pun.
Sleepless nights at the chateau