Started by EK WAFFLR, August 10, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on September 26, 2015, 12:36:29 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 26, 2015, 12:03:50 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 11:39:26 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 25, 2015, 11:35:24 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 10:40:18 PM
I'm, for once, not having that problem.  I'm at chapter 16/15000 words in the new book, and am taking a day off to decide where the story needs to go from here.

I am having absolutely the hardest time even getting started writing this fucking paper. I can't do it. I have to do it.

IT ISN'T EVEN A PAPER THAT MATTERS.

That's probably why I can't do it. It doesn't fucking matter.

Unsolicited advice:  Sit down and start typing.

Yep, that's what I need to do, alright. I need to churn out a bad first draft. Even a shitty outline of sorts.

[unsolicited advice]
Sometimes typing out huge amounts of profanity littered explanations about what you about to write about helps. [/unsolicited advice]

Oh, yeah. I often will just crank out some pile of angry bullshit just to get started. I'm just really fighting this one. I don't WANT to write about sustainability and food forests and why Portland needs to implement a permaculture food forest policy.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In some ways I think this would be easier if it was an assignment and not my own fucking stupid goddamn proposal.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 26, 2015, 12:50:37 AM
In some ways I think this would be easier if it was an assignment and not my own fucking stupid goddamn proposal.

I feel you. Writing poetry in the mode I want has become so teeth-pulling difficult outside of the classroom.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

HEY NIGEL JUST FUCKING KEEP WRITING YOU BEAUTIFUL EXPLETIVE.

LMNO

Watching a dumb action movie, "Lucy".

I'm saddened that the endgame is utilitarianism, and compassion is treated like a weakness.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on September 26, 2015, 04:15:02 AM
Watching a dumb action movie, "Lucy".

I'm saddened that the endgame is utilitarianism, and compassion is treated like a weakness.

Compassion is a weakness, the greatest weakness one can have.

Lucy, if it's the one with the Korean super drug, is not the best movie though. Limitless was cool because it was low-action but where it was there it was icily realistic. Lucy is transhumanist propaganda sweetened with high action and gorgeous talent.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Fuck you compassion is a weakness.

That is all.

Love,
Someone who apparently scored a 31 on his EQ test.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 26, 2015, 05:50:19 AM
Fuck you compassion is a weakness.

That is all.

Love,
Someone who apparently scored a 31 on his EQ test.

Compassion is really the only saving grace humans HAVE.

Except for those flying squirrel suit things.  Those are TITS.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

I did mean greatest in the sense of best and most desirable. It's a weakness, but NOT a flaw. Every design or form has weaknesses, things that can break it. Compassion is one of ours, but it's critical to the survival of our species and expression of our nature.

Edit because I apparently jacked up the quote box code.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Roger... LO has me in a grip. You killed off Michael and set off ancient curses and thankfully kept on through the brief creativity scare! And you're just getting going.  :eek:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Bruno

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 26, 2015, 08:51:50 AM

I did mean greatest in the sense of best and most desirable. It's a weakness, but NOT a flaw. Every design or form has weaknesses, things that can break it. Compassion is one of ours, but it's critical to the survival of our species and expression of our nature.

So compassion is Humanity's crumple zone? I can live with that analogy.
Formerly something else...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 26, 2015, 03:26:06 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 26, 2015, 01:51:55 AM
I'm at page 3 of pure bullshit.

I smell grant proposals coming on.

Quote from: LMNO on September 26, 2015, 03:30:24 AM
HEY NIGEL JUST FUCKING KEEP WRITING YOU BEAUTIFUL EXPLETIVE.

:lulz: I made it to page 4 by the time Alty came home, and now I'm picking it up again. I want to have 6 serviceable pages plus a page of citations by this afternoon, and then tomorrow I can polish a final draft and submit it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 26, 2015, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 26, 2015, 08:51:50 AM

So compassion is Humanity's crumple zone? I can live with that analogy.

I don't know if I'd put it that way, really. Compassion is kind of the thing that makes us work as a species; the ability to connect with and care for other people is inherently crucial to everything we consider uniquely human achievements. Only a social species can develop culture and technology, and the biological, developmental condition on which sociability is dependent is compassion.