News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

EEG devices, biofeedback

Started by the_residents, August 22, 2015, 07:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_residents

It comes from here, dont know if my reply there was deleted.
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=34972.15

Im toying with this.
QuoteHi im testing muse calm. I run linux and could just use muse with the testing apps. A friend lend me an android smartphone today, and im running calm, i tried to use an android x86 live usb, but muse crashed or is not responsive to mouse clicks.

I know it is called calm, but i thought it was more like as a focus training application. The app is based on positive feedback on calm response. But what about intensive active tasks, like studying, doing intensive math, etc.

Does it compare negative, positive feedback based on the information collected on those 60 seconds for calibration in which asks about collections of things, using that as pattern looking for active mode?

I believe thinking patterns, on random, ramble, are more volatile than thinking on pruporse about things, they are thoughts without intention, that occur and come as by, like when someone is internally hooked to a random thought. When someone is stressed, crashed in its head, it doesnt even know which flow of ideas is thinking.

What are the possibilites of using the the muse as a tool to measure focus, peak performance patterns in different tasks.

Ie.
I want to know when i start to decay on performance, when studying, working, doing problem solving skills etc. 40 hs focused, could be more useful than 3 hours with sleep depravation.

I know by some studies like eeg,p300,polysomnography, that i have poor sleeping, attention, etc quality.

What other muse based apps are helpful to measure those areas?

If i started to develop some applications with the sdk, where i could look up for standard procedures, ways of thinking about developing, to get some meaningful applications?

I think a calm based application, could be just an audio feedback script, with a loop analyzing patterns, based on positive/negative feedback. But dont know how to look for those patterns of focus, active, types of meditation, relaxed on the captured stream.

Also from doing some p300 tests, like having three needles on the skull, counting random series of high/lowed pitched ticks, i thought that it is a good way to develop, mental imagenery association response, like thinking in the first memory that occurs asociated to the current number count. ie certain number is associatied, with a memory of someone, on some place.
With the collection test on calm, it happens the same. But i sense an impediment, in my proccess of thinking. Ie. Name streets. My head starts to overload about verbalizing, or thinking in street names, ending with less street names, or items of a collection that i know i could verbalize. But if analyze the situation, streets, are physically stored on the brain, like a memory palace, and i need just to calm enough to let, my head wander on random names of a collection, than forcing on thinking about giving those names. That information is there, im just more focused on retrieving something on stress than receiving an information flow with that kind of data.

QuoteFor now, i feel like it detects as wind, negative feedback when my eyes are moving minimally. But from time to time i forget to count on breathe outs, and start to think on my own random things, that is when my mind starts to wonder, doesnt it have to detect that as noise, or only detects as negative feedback, when i realise abruptly that im thinking on something else than counting? also i could hear some external noise, get my attention into it aside from counting, and the calm app sound like birds. Usually wandering thoughts come as images, random recalls, thoughts.

are these eeg devices useful, or just a marketing plot to sell new toys?
For those who used neurosky, which things can be done with it?