News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

What ever happened to the counter-culture?

Started by SadKingBilly, September 02, 2015, 09:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2015, 03:40:03 AM

These got fuzzy for me at TEA DANCE.

I fear I have never truly understood the concept of THE GAY BAR either. I mean I can get down and have a good time at a gay bar, but I figure this means something more.  I just never took occasion to ask before.

The Gay Bar is merely LMNO's expression of Saturday Night™.  As far as anyone knows.  Sometimes I suspect that LMNO isn't even his real name.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 03, 2015, 03:51:55 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2015, 03:42:15 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 03, 2015, 03:37:13 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2015, 03:35:39 AM

:lulz:
Don't even have to do the dirty job of setting 'em up. Just KYFMS, fix your GRIN in place and look outraged and shocked, SHOCKED about the toilet problem and grateful about how fortunate you were to get a chance to go before "that bizarre incident" occurred.

We've been doing this a very long time.  I won't say precisely how long, because LMNO will have fits.

How about an XP level between 1 and 20? None of that "mythic" bs. 20 being as close to transcendent godhood as a mortal gets.

4th.  We got level-draining lice in 2007.

:sad:
The ST is clearly a dick,
and her name is Eris.

Way, WAY before I first got here it seems that there was a civil war @ pd I hear occasional reference to. What was the basic argument?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2015, 04:02:11 AM

Don't even have to do the dirty job of setting 'em up. Just KYFMS, fix your GRIN in place and look outraged and shocked, SHOCKED about the toilet problem and grateful about how fortunate you were to get a chance to go before "that bizarre incident" occurred.

We've been doing this a very long time.  I won't say precisely how long, because LMNO will have fits.

How about an XP level between 1 and 20? None of that "mythic" bs. 20 being as close to transcendent godhood as a mortal gets.

and her name is Eris.

Way, WAY before I first got here it seems that there was a civil war @ pd I hear occasional reference to. What was the basic argument?

The board was run by the owner, Lauren, and a few of her pals.  They had a secret mod page (Cain spotted this when he realized that the sum of the sub-forum's posts didn't match up the board's total posts), and they used it to actively fuck with the non-pinealists.  One guy, Hugh, actually fished into the database to read people's PMs, and then rat them out to people with edited versions of what was actually said.

Somewhere along the line, I got banned for being "too chaotic".  A few members raised hell, and I was readmitted.

This went on for about two years, and the board shrank from 200 regular users to about 6, as we all bailed out (the subforum "Or Kill Me" was a ghetto for ranting in, so we wouldn't get in the way of the deep discussions about cookies & pie) except for harrassing the admins.  ECH hung around and schemed, and when Lauren finally had enough, she gave him the board.  Most of the regulars came back, and Hugh was exiled to a Pagan board, where he babbled the sort of nonsense he preached here, to about 6 people, before inadvertently marrying a Filippino post-op transgendered lady and then going nuts and being locked up when he found out (no shit, actually happened).

The other mods and Eldora (the less said about her, the better) went off to Eris Bar & Grill, where they suffocated in their own poop.

The board recovered until FB came along and drained all the members away. 

So we replaced an evil dicatatorship with a vile dictatorship.  Which is something.
Molon Lube

Messier Undertree

The counter-culture that you can find is not the true counter-culture.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 03, 2015, 04:55:31 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on September 03, 2015, 04:02:11 AM

and her name is Eris.

The board was run by the owner, Lauren, and a few of her pals.  They had a secret mod page (Cain spotted this when he realized that the sum of the sub-forum's posts didn't match up the board's total posts), and they used it to actively fuck with the non-pinealists.  One guy, Hugh, actually fished into the database to read people's PMs, and then rat them out to people with edited versions of what was actually said.

Somewhere along the line, I got banned for being "too chaotic".  A few members raised hell, and I was readmitted.

This went on for about two years, and the board shrank from 200 regular users to about 6, as we all bailed out (the subforum "Or Kill Me" was a ghetto for ranting in, so we wouldn't get in the way of the deep discussions about cookies & pie) except for harrassing the admins.  ECH hung around and schemed, and when Lauren finally had enough, she gave him the board.  Most of the regulars came back, and Hugh was exiled to a Pagan board, where he babbled the sort of nonsense he preached here, to about 6 people, before inadvertently marrying a Filippino post-op transgendered lady and then going nuts and being locked up when he found out (no shit, actually happened).

The other mods and Eldora (the less said about her, the better) went off to Eris Bar & Grill, where they suffocated in their own poop.

The board recovered until FB came along and drained all the members away. 

So we replaced an evil dicatatorship with a vile dictatorship.  Which is something.

Ok that's about what I pieced together from passing references here and there. Thanks for the clear summary!

So I get the FB drawing away members. It's like the dark side of the force: quicker, easier, more seductive.. unlimited sock puppets on one IP addy. I've been disenchanted with "FB Disco" for some time now. By comparison if this place is a glass of fresh squeezed OJ then that shit is like 5gal of cheap imitation Tang with just a little bit of actual shit floating in it.

Got more to say, but tempus fugit 'an stuff. Gotta get my ass in gear and go punch that clock.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Malachite on September 03, 2015, 06:27:36 AM

The jabber you get out of a fortune cookie is not the true jabber.
Molon Lube

SadKingBilly

Interesting comments

So give me hope for where Discordia is mutating...

Others remain caught up regurgitating tired cliches such as:

Extend loyalty to individuals, but never organizations.

What seems clear to me at this present time is that yes, the individual can choose to tune in and drop out etc. That's a fine and dandy decision. You, me, anyone can choose to trust or not trust, run with friends, or alone.

But to tie yourself up with points of view such as "you want a counter-culture - go start one" is missing the point a little

As for denying any form of collaboration or confederacy - a convenient way out if truth be told

But how will that help the world being crafted for my kids...

Kesey didn't work alone - and neither should the rest of us

I release you...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: SadKingBilly on September 03, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
Interesting comments

Others remain caught up regurgitating tired cliches such as <meaningful communication ends here>

Whatever, dude.
Molon Lube

Meunster

Quote from: SadKingBilly on September 03, 2015, 09:52:07 PM
Interesting comments

Others remain caught up regurgitating tired cliches such as:

Extend loyalty to individuals, but never organizations.

What seems clear to me at this present time is that yes, the individual can choose to tune in and drop out etc. That's a fine and dandy decision. You, me, anyone can choose to trust or not trust, run with friends, or alone.

But to tie yourself up with points of view such as "you want a counter-culture - go start one" is missing the point a little

As for denying any form of collaboration or confederacy - a convenient way out if truth be told

But how will that help the world being crafted for my kids...

Kesey didn't work alone - and neither should the rest of us

I release you...

In my humble opinion. We can't collaborate, at least not in any meaningful way. It's a group founded on the principle of chaos. We are reactionaries to order. Everyone can tolerate so much order in their life. Some more than others, which is why there are a select few who turn to chaos based groups.

We are a reaction to the times. Until there is some great unrest like people saw in the 60's, Discordianism will be a ghost. Even with some great unrest, we are the the middle of a ven diagram of people who want to change shit violently and people who want to change shit, not in the way that is presented to them, but in a fringe legal way. Of course there will always be the Picaresque aspires who stick around, but getting them to collaborate is a shit show.

But then again, that is just my view of the world, yours is 99% different.
Poe's law ;)

The Wizard Joseph

Monoculture is the new counter culture
Cliche is the new truth
Pretentious shit-wits
will always be just that
And plentiful

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Telarus

Quote from: Meunster on September 04, 2015, 05:02:10 AM
..We are reactionaries to order. Everyone can tolerate so much order in their life. Some more than others, which is why there are a select few who turn to chaos based groups.

False (and you have fallen for the Eristic Illusion). Chaos != Disorder.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Telarus on September 20, 2015, 10:48:29 PM
Quote from: Meunster on September 04, 2015, 05:02:10 AM
..We are reactionaries to order. Everyone can tolerate so much order in their life. Some more than others, which is why there are a select few who turn to chaos based groups.

False (and you have fallen for the Eristic Illusion). Chaos != Disorder.

But... but... that's what the movies, video games, and comic books that inform their worldviews say! THAT SHIT HAS TO BE RIGHT, right?  :fnord:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Ilikeapples

*commin in half a year later this shit died* The real question is what happend to the counter of counter culture?
I really like apples, give me apples or I will send you to appleland where you will punished, hail Eris ALL HAIL DISCORDIA

LMNO

Repossessed due to lack of funds.  That counter was later installed at Punks-R-Us, who pay their bills on time.

Ziegejunge

Quote from: Ilikeapples on October 28, 2016, 10:55:03 AM
*commin in half a year later this shit died* The real question is what happend to the counter of counter culture?

Found him: