News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

So, I just finished watching Fury Road so I could tear it apart for you guys.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 19, 2015, 05:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Nast on September 21, 2015, 12:51:16 AM
I thought the movie was an accurate prediction of life in California when the state finally dries up and is reclaimed by the desert Australia today.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on September 21, 2015, 04:23:01 AM
Quote from: Nast on September 21, 2015, 12:51:16 AM
I thought the movie was an accurate prediction of life in California when the state finally dries up and is reclaimed by the desert Australia today.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

One of the little details I really liked was the line about travelling 180 days across the "salt flats", thinking wtf where could possibly take 160 days on a bike before hitting the sea before I realised what the salt flats were.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

President Television

Quote from: Faust on September 21, 2015, 11:21:34 AM
One of the little details I really liked was the line about travelling 180 days across the "salt flats", thinking wtf where could possibly take 160 days on a bike before hitting the sea before I realised what the salt flats were.

Yeah, the world of Mad Max is fucked. Even beyond what nuclear war usually implies.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

I did like that half of Terry Pratchett's Fourecks was based on Mad Max, while the other half was based on Crocodile Dundee. 

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on September 22, 2015, 01:23:53 AM
I did like that half of Terry Pratchett's Fourecks was based on Mad Max, while the other half was based on Crocodile Dundee.

I didn't read that, but did read the GURPS Discworld write-up for "Ecksecksecksecks". Horse-drawn war buggies and fierce competition for hay if remember right.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on September 22, 2015, 01:16:39 AM

Yeah, the world of Mad Max is fucked. Even beyond what nuclear war usually implies.

I like that even the nature of the catastrophe is mutable.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Trivial

Been too long since I saw the earlier ones but I was talking with a co-worker about how I couldn't figure out how civilization fell such from the first to thunderdome that the kids din't know what some tech was, along with a few adults.  Co-worker pointed out that everything was already fucked for a very, very long time in the first one, that Max was in an area that the effects were slow/unseen.

So now I have to watch the first again.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trivial Notgeil on September 22, 2015, 05:43:06 AM
Been too long since I saw the earlier ones but I was talking with a co-worker about how I couldn't figure out how civilization fell such from the first to thunderdome that the kids din't know what some tech was, along with a few adults.  Co-worker pointed out that everything was already fucked for a very, very long time in the first one, that Max was in an area that the effects were slow/unseen.

So now I have to watch the first again.

Fast forward through the middle bit.  Right after he quits his job.  It's LONG.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, the kids in Thunderdome were very young when their plane crashed, so you can date that one to about 8 years after the Big Whoops.

Aucoq

Wow!  I didn't catch that at all.  That's pretty genius.  :)
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Bruno

But is that the dystopia we're getting? OH, NOOOO, we're getting stuck with fucking waterworld!

WATERWORLD!!!

:argh!:
Formerly something else...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Emo Howard on September 23, 2015, 01:24:41 AM
But is that the dystopia we're getting? OH, NOOOO, we're getting stuck with fucking waterworld!

WATERWORLD!!!

:argh!:

May not be valid in California.

Chelagoras The Boulder

"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."