News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Dumb Question

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, September 25, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

So, this is for a game I'm doing, but I need someone who knows from materials science to help a girl out.

1 cubic yard of ash should weigh around a thousand pounds, according to this thing I got off the internet. Assuming the ash was nearly pure carbon, and something magically smashed it together into diamond, about how big would the blob of crappy diamond be?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 25, 2015, 09:12:49 PM
So, this is for a game I'm doing, but I need someone who knows from materials science to help a girl out.

1 cubic yard of ash should weigh around a thousand pounds, according to this thing I got off the internet. Assuming the ash was nearly pure carbon, and something magically smashed it together into diamond, about how big would the blob of crappy diamond be?

I can tell you alumina to sapphire, but not diamond.   :sad:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 09:14:26 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 25, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

I can tell you alumina to sapphire, but not diamond.   :sad:

Any ideas on where I should look? It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just close enough ballpark that the guy with the physics doctorate doesn't look at me like I'm an idiot.

Don Coyote

From http://www.evrmemories.com/Ashes-into-Diamonds-Information-s/176.htm

QuoteTypically all of the cremated ashes from your loved one are used in the synthesizing process of creating your cremation diamond although only 500gr of cremains is needed to make one diamond.

QuoteThe sizes are

.25 Carat
    .50 Carat
    1.0 Carat

This might be helpful.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Well, I honestly don't know much about making diamonds, but it's just a difference in the arrangement of the carbon molecules, so 1 ton of pure carbon is 1 ton of pure carbon regardless of what it looks like.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

rong

diamond is 3.52 grams per cm3

so, a 1,000 lb diamond is 453,592 grams and 128,861 cm3 which is 0.16854 cubic yards

(if I am to believe what I found on the internet, but you get the idea)
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: rong on September 25, 2015, 09:38:48 PM
diamond is 3.52 grams per cm3

so, a 1,000 lb diamond is 453,592 grams and 128,861 cm3 which is 0.16854 cubic yards

(if I am to believe what I found on the internet, but you get the idea)

About a tenth of the original size? Sounds reasonable.

Thanks!

LMNO

Looks like rong already answered it, but this says one gram of carbon would make a five carat diamond.

The conversions are up to you.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2003-06/1055373367.Es.r.html

The Good Reverend Roger

According to DeBeers, a .2 gram diamond was formed from 2.8 grams of pure carbon.

So, 1/14th.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 10:46:30 PM
According to DeBeers, a .2 gram diamond was formed from 2.8 grams of pure carbon.

So, 1/14th.

Where does the rest of the carbon go?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If we're talking about pure carbon being converted to a different crystal lattice of pure carbon, there needs to be an explanation for the lost mass. Carbon doesn't just go away.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 25, 2015, 11:31:20 PM

So, 1/14th.

If it's anything like sapphire, it doesn't go anywhere.  The atoms all line up in perfectly straight lines, and the mass is in fact stored as energy bonding the atoms so rigidly.

I am unsure of the physics involved here, because diamonds don't explode when you crush them. Of course, what you're really doing is just making smaller diamonds, so I guess they wouldn't.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 11:43:05 PM
diamonds don't explode when you crush them

I fail to understand why they are so popular, then.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 25, 2015, 11:43:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on September 25, 2015, 11:31:20 PM

So, 1/14th.

If it's anything like sapphire, it doesn't go anywhere.  The atoms all line up in perfectly straight lines, and the mass is in fact stored as energy bonding the atoms so rigidly.

I am unsure of the physics involved here, because diamonds don't explode when you crush them. Of course, what you're really doing is just making smaller diamonds, so I guess they wouldn't.

That makes no sense at all to me, but I haven't taken physics and I only have four terms of chemistry.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Although even given that my education is pretty limited, I'm still going to say nope. That just isn't how mass or energy works. Lavoisier's experiments wouldn't have worked at all if they did.