News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Notifying the Pope that he's a Pope

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 01, 2015, 02:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

I just had a guy who studied Latin have a look because it was funny.  He is assuming this was plugged into Google Translate, which he says for latin isn't a good tool at all, and had a minor nerd rage over it.

Still a hilarious idea, but if you're going to do it, go full derp.

Dubya

Im glad you said something. I was just about to start the fair copy of it. I guess I'll run it over to the college tomorrow and see if there's anyone who knows Latin there.

"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Cain

Pidgin Latin that causes nerdrage is best Latin.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

While I can see a certain impact from using proper classical or ecclesiastical Latin in the letter, it just seems more lulzy to use pigdin Latin.

Just imagine, if you will, the Pontif, or his secretary, scratching his head going WTF at the bad Latin, and once figuring out what the message is being even more perplexed.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 05, 2015, 03:50:42 PM
While I can see a certain impact from using proper classical or ecclesiastical Latin in the letter, it just seems more lulzy to use pigdin Latin.

Just imagine, if you will, the Pontif, or his secretary, scratching his head going WTF at the bad Latin, and once figuring out what the message is being even more perplexed.

:lulz: YES! Especially if it is otherwise gorgeous and clearly otherwise well wrought.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Dubya

Good points. Half-assed Latin it shall be.

Freeky

Chelagoras The Boulder

should we all send various letters to the same address, to really drive home the point of multiple Popes?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Dubya

Id love to be a fly on the wall if he were to get various letters popeing him, excommunicating him, and so on all at the same time.

Schroedinger's Pope. :lulz:

For what it's worth, I finally have a few days off, so mine should be headed out by the end of next week.

Rembo

Hey, Dubya, could I convince you to upload, or send me, your 'fair version'?
Layout is NOT a part of my skillset, and postage within the EU is not too bad!
The Hills in Discordia are Thornly...

Dubya

I plan to upload it as soon as it's done. As I said, I had some time off recently, and I got most of it done. Then I got drafted to help build a pole barn. Then I broke a couple of toes because I was too stupid to wear my boots. Now it's work time again. And that's not even mentioning the ruptured drain that spewed indescribable filth all over my room and ruined my sketches for the marginalia.

But I'm nothing if not stubborn, so it will go out eventually. Postage from here is going to be doable, but I appreciate the offer.

If you absolutely can't wait, you could always turn your deficient layout skills into an asset and send him a letter in crayon.

Q. G. Pennyworth

If people want a digital version I can slap together an image or pdf