News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

This Oregon gunman seems to be a piece of work

Started by Cain, October 02, 2015, 12:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on October 06, 2015, 04:03:44 PM
He was anti-religion in general, going from his web posts.  It appears he was asking people what faith they were, and then shooting them.  Fox has spun this to make it sound like he was targeting Christians.

From what I heard about the incident itself, he asked two people what religion they were, and when they answered Christian he shot them both.

So it's hard to say, without more to go on.  Being antireligion in the USA would, in most circumstances, also mean being anti-Christian.

Cainad (dec.)

Does this mean that the whole "no one has ever killed in the name of Atheism!" argument that Dawkins fans like to use is sunk, or will it just change?

LMNO

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 06, 2015, 06:43:29 PM
Does this mean that the whole "no one has ever killed in the name of Atheism!" argument that Dawkins fans like to use is sunk, or will it just change?

It was only a matter of time, once Atheism got a big enough umbrella.

The Good Reverend Roger

The Soviet state would like a word with you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2015, 08:02:58 PM

DON'T YOU GO BRINGING THAT "HISTORY" SHIT INTO MY INTERNET ATHEISMS!

Cain

Atheists often argue that the Soviet Union doesn't count because a) Communism is, like, a modern religion man or b) yes Communists are atheists but they justified their violence in terms of Communism and not atheism or c) Lysenkoism means the Communists weren't real atheists.

Needless to say, all these arguments are pretty bad.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2015, 09:05:00 PM

Atheists often argue that the Soviet Union doesn't count because a) Communism is, like, a modern religion man or b) yes Communists are atheists but they justified their violence in terms of Communism and not atheism or c) Lysenkoism means the Communists weren't real atheists.

China today still very actively imprisons and executes missionaries and underground church members. That's just Chrisians. They have suppressed pretty much ALL faith on pain of persecution and death.

I'm not sure that the shooter was in fact an Atheist specifically out to gun down folks for believing, but the matter clearly was on his malfunctioning mind. Some of the NRx shit I've been looking into has me wondering if perhaps the formula for radicalization of Muslims isn't being applied to other faiths quite purposefully. That's just flat out speculation right now, but my gut has me wondering.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Johnny

Just like America uses the excuse to invade other countries as "Defending our Freedom.", Christians like to fantasize about being prosecuted on a massive scale just so they can get a rain-check on freely abusing any group they want.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Johnny on October 06, 2015, 10:01:31 PM

Just like America uses the excuse to invade other countries as "Defending our Freedom.", Christians like to fantasize about being prosecuted on a massive scale just so they can get a rain-check on freely abusing any group they want.

A free pass is more like it.

Anyway, their whining is my medicine.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Meunster

They weren't real communists
And they weren't real atheist.
Also they seemed to worship state more then the fedora or spaghetti monster.
Poe's law ;)

Meunster

Wait, it's been a week and no one has posted the school camera footage online so we can see if he did ask or not?
Technology age my ass.
Poe's law ;)

Cain

The CTers decided to skip that step and just assume he didn't anyway.  "Evidence" is a government conspiracy designed to keep people from pulling secret knowledge out of their arseholes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2015, 09:05:00 PM

Yeah, Atheists are pretty quick to pull the No True Scotsman fallacy out and prance it around.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on October 06, 2015, 06:45:27 PM

If Atheists become the majority, I expect seeing active persecution of the religious. They suffer from  the same monkeydom that all the other monkeys suffer from.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 07, 2015, 12:12:31 AM
Quote from: LMNO on October 06, 2015, 06:45:27 PM

If Atheists become the majority, I expect seeing active persecution of the religious. They suffer from  the same monkeydom that all the other monkeys suffer from.

On one hand, I'm in favor of this, because Christians are funny when you smack 'em.

On the other hand, atheists are funny all the time.