News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Hip Hop Help

Started by Bu🤠ns, October 08, 2015, 11:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The All-Seeing Waffle on October 09, 2015, 09:22:37 PM
Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer and Professor Elemental.

Also, Necro

Listened to Necro's Brutality Part 1 album on the way home and this one struck me in two ways. Something about him or his lyrics or...something...comes across as very pretentious and i'm not sure exactly why. I'll have think about it.

With that out of the way, those beats were fanfuckingtastic. So, it was quite serendipitous when I saw that THIS was available.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 10, 2015, 12:00:54 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 11:26:39 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 09:57:12 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 09:14:00 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 01:53:41 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 05:07:09 AM
Quote from: OREGON on October 09, 2015, 12:32:20 AM
And, of course, ICP.

This should really just be a given.
I can't...I just can't

Come on, man. Trust me, I'm a scientist.

When I was a couch tenant at a buddy's house one year, his brother thought it was a good idea to play ICP at 8 o'clock every damn morning (give or take a hangover). While he wasn't a scientist, I can personally attest to the amount of internal violence associated with repetitive, somnambulistic messages about stabbing people, face paint and STDs.

I feel like he wasn't collecting data according to the proper protocol.

Well if he tried to collect anything from me, I certainly would have remembered....right?

Well, I suppose that depends.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

ECH will not be pleased, but I get it. It's really clever pop.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 09, 2015, 04:29:06 AM
A$AP Mob?

Really?

I...I'm sad.
So do me one better. I was hoping you of all would have a good suggestions

Fair enough!

The new Eligh & Grouch joint is a lot to digest, but most of its 41 fucking tracks are goddamned good with several that are goddamned great. If you want to split them up and follow those rabbit holes, anything Grouch does is fucking gold, including and especially Heroes in the City of Dope with Zion I. Cunninlynguists are the LeBron James of soulful southern hip-hop. They're not OutKast, but they're the best thing since OutKast by a very wide margin. Grayskul is making some next-level shit right now and has always been a few steps ahead of the genre as a whole. Buggsy and Brotherman, both out of the UK, both putting that delightfully weird and slightly dubby sort of singjay slant on it that the British rappers do so well. Die Antwoord are a bunch of whacked out SAfrican zefpunks masterminded by Watkin Tudor Jones, who is basically the Mike Patton of hip-hop. Get Busy Committee is classic. Goldini Bagwell has the highest ceiling of any rapper. On his best tracks (WMN vs. WRK is my favorite) he's totally untouchable. Bliss n Eso, Fatty Phew, and Hilltop Hoods are my favorites from my over-all favorite music making country. Did you know that Vinnie Paz and Everlast are in a group together? Did you know that group is REALLY REALLY good? They're called La Coka Nostra. I feel a little dirty admitting this, but I'm a big Major Lazer fan. Pharoahe Monch is, I'm pretty sure, actually crazy but he raps about his damage in a way that makes it feel as though his raps are his way of weaponizing that craziness. Saigon. Schoolboy Q. RA the Rugged Man, owner of the single sickest guest verse in hip-hop (and his own stuff is great too). And I have to finish it off with a recommendation of the latest joint from the actual honest-to-god King of Maine himself, Spose. It's called Why am I so Happy? and it is a dark and delicious slice of genius pie.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Vanadium Gryllz

I would second the Hilltop Hoods and Bliss n Eso recommendations. If you are into a more pop-inspired sound then there's an artist called Illy who I enjoy.

From the UK there is a label called High Focus that has quite a wide variety of artists on it but a recent release that I think stands out has been Verb T & Illinformed's Man with the Foggy Eyes https://youtu.be/2j6T8JnyT6I

I also like Cutta Chase https://youtu.be/LVl2L22xxSc

Apollo Brown is a producer from Detroit (apparently) that puts out some beats I really like - his Dice Game album is good and I think he's done one with Ghostface Killah (The Brown Tape). https://youtu.be/v1uKhwN6FtA

There's a whole load of recommendations from this threat I need to check out though! That Public Enemy song was great.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

minuspace

Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 08, 2015, 11:03:09 PM
So hip hop has finally taken hold--Only I've been so distanced from the music i'm really not sure how to recognize "good" hip hop. 

I've always like wu-tang and mos def.  most recently I've been listening to A$AP Mob, who i really like the more ambient quality of their style (at times). I've heard Hilltop Hoods, but not enough.

Anybody have any recommendations?
Aesop Rock (NOT ROCKY) Barbary Coast, love
https://youtube.com/#/watch?v=CauWi02hDJU

minuspace

minuspace

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 10, 2015, 06:47:10 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on October 09, 2015, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 09, 2015, 04:29:06 AM
A$AP Mob?

Really?

I...I'm sad.
So do me one better. I was hoping you of all would have a good suggestions

Fair enough!

The new Eligh & Grouch joint is a lot to digest, but most of its 41 fucking tracks are goddamned good with several that are goddamned great. If you want to split them up and follow those rabbit holes, anything Grouch does is fucking gold, including and especially Heroes in the City of Dope with Zion I. Cunninlynguists are the LeBron James of soulful southern hip-hop. They're not OutKast, but they're the best thing since OutKast by a very wide margin. Grayskul is making some next-level shit right now and has always been a few steps ahead of the genre as a whole. Buggsy and Brotherman, both out of the UK, both putting that delightfully weird and slightly dubby sort of singjay slant on it that the British rappers do so well. Die Antwoord are a bunch of whacked out SAfrican zefpunks masterminded by Watkin Tudor Jones, who is basically the Mike Patton of hip-hop. Get Busy Committee is classic. Goldini Bagwell has the highest ceiling of any rapper. On his best tracks (WMN vs. WRK is my favorite) he's totally untouchable. Bliss n Eso, Fatty Phew, and Hilltop Hoods are my favorites from my over-all favorite music making country. Did you know that Vinnie Paz and Everlast are in a group together? Did you know that group is REALLY REALLY good? They're called La Coka Nostra. I feel a little dirty admitting this, but I'm a big Major Lazer fan. Pharoahe Monch is, I'm pretty sure, actually crazy but he raps about his damage in a way that makes it feel as though his raps are his way of weaponizing that craziness. Saigon. Schoolboy Q. RA the Rugged Man, owner of the single sickest guest verse in hip-hop (and his own stuff is great too). And I have to finish it off with a recommendation of the latest joint from the actual honest-to-god King of Maine himself, Spose. It's called Why am I so Happy? and it is a dark and delicious slice of genius pie.
Thank you very much!  I'll start at the top and very bottom

East Coast Hustle

This shit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPX3Xlb8pqg

Dude just encapsulates America in like 4 minutes flat.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 10, 2015, 07:50:59 PM
This shit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPX3Xlb8pqg

Dude just encapsulates America in like 4 minutes flat.
That was pretty powerful

Bu🤠ns

Grouch and Eligh are all over the place with theirmaterial. I assume that 333 album is the latest?

East Coast Hustle

The Tortoise and the Crow is the one I was talking about, which is the latest one I'm aware of but I'm not really in the scene so I don't always know the latest and greatest right away these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNivTiNmNsA

East Coast Hustle