How
Difficult
Compared to?
         Just as logical to
         Claim
         Your game is
         Artificially Easy

Nast

Hm...this intrigued me. I think it's about life being neither hard nor easy, because those are arbitrary qualifiers, but I'm not sure?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Don Coyote

It probably could be read that way, but I wrote this literally about someone who I briefly played D&D with and complained about how "artificially difficult" the version I ran was.

Nast

Oh. You made me be accidentally philosophical   :lulz:
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Don Coyote on October 09, 2015, 11:39:03 PM
It probably could be read that way, but I wrote this literally about someone who I briefly played D&D with and complained about how "artificially difficult" the version I ran was.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Well a professor once told me that you can't over-read into a poem so long as you can support your opinion with in the piece.

If anything, it's about the uselessness of using a term like "artificially" to describe certain concepts. In order for a thing to be artificially difficult there would need to be a natural or default difficulty.

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 09, 2015, 11:48:35 PM
Quote from: Don Coyote on October 09, 2015, 11:39:03 PM

:lulz:

She is one person I don't really feel bad about not being friends with anymore. There was some other fallout over the situation that prompted this.

But seriously, when playing one of the earliest versions of a game, its difficulty should be taken as a default.

Shit like that, people crying about how hard the game I am running is, is why I have basically stopped trying to run anything based on D&D.

Edward Longpork

I dig it. I always hear that term "artificial difficulty" from people who look down their noses at "casual gamers" and I never really got it. Look, there are some types of challenges you enjoy, some you don't. No need to hang an honorific on one.